moss question

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm looking for some diffrent types of moss in my woods, years ago I was told not to use the moss that grows around tree trunks, but rather the stuff that grows across the lawn or path, is there any truth to this? It seems the short haired moss always grow around trunks.thanks

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I'm looking for some diffrent types of moss in my woods, years ago I was told not to use the moss that grows around tree trunks, but rather the stuff that grows across the lawn or path, is there any truth to this? It seems the short haired moss always grow around trunks.thanks

Not really compared to the moss on cement/in cracks. That is very short, tight, and harder moss. Comparatively, moss on trees is quite loose and fluffy ime.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found some diffrent varieties on my shed roof I'm gonna try

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Yes. The moss that grows in as much exposure to the sun will be finer and sometimes blue in color. The deep woods moss will never work on bonsai. Walls, brick side walks and near walls in the dirt. I have found the stuff on the top of air conditioner units.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I found some diffrent varieties on my shed roof I'm gonna try

In this area I find what looks nice to me and note where it grows as in full sun, filtered sun, so on and so on. Simply observing where it comes from and where you want it to go is worth the time. Same for any "collection". All takes time but time is free and what you do with time is important.

Grimmy

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the advice guys, my shed gets a lot of sunlight, the moss was bone dry and still green, hopefully it takes.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You really don't want to put moss on your soil. Yes, it LOOKS good, but it's really bad for the trees and water movement thru the soil.

I know, we see the pictures in the books and magazines, and they ALL have beautiful moss, right? It was put there the day they took the picture, and taken off right after!

Sure, collect moss to put on for a show, but don't leave it on.

A little dab or two wont hurt anything. I'm talking about the fully covered pots. Even then, break it up into small tidbits. Don't apply a solid sheet of the stuff. It really blocks the water.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You really don't want to put moss on your soil. Yes, it LOOKS good, but it's really bad for the trees and water movement thru the soil.

I know, we see the pictures in the books and magazines, and they ALL have beautiful moss, right? It was put there the day they took the picture, and taken off right after!

Sure, collect moss to put on for a show, but don't leave it on.

A little dab or two wont hurt anything. I'm talking about the fully covered pots. Even then, break it up into small tidbits. Don't apply a solid sheet of the stuff. It really blocks the water.

I have to disagree with you. Moss is a constant companion on my trees. I don't have to try to force it to grow it does it naturally. I have had no problems because of its presence.

Reaction score
A lot of the Japanese will moss their trees and leave it on all the time.
I was talking to my friend who is Ryan Niel's assistant about this and
he was saying that Ryan suggests that a mossed tree will actually help
build beneficial bacteria and help retain a more stable environment for
the tree.

I used to not keep moss on my plants, but after speaking with him I started
trying it out, and found that actually my tree's did do a lot better. One thing that
I can personally account for, is that when I go to pull the moss off, I am
noticing substantial fine feeder roots right at the surface of the pot's soil. Which
means if I have a tree I want to try and get into a smaller pot, (which is every tree
I own !!!) I will be able to remove more roots off of the bottom of the tree.

Now obviously this has to do with more moisture being retained at the surface
of the soil, this is why the tree is putting these out to try and capture the moisture.
If one watches Bjorn's vids they are often talking about grinding up sphagnum moss and
adding it to the top layer of soil... I can only assume for the very same reason.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to disagree with you. Moss is a constant companion on my trees. I don't have to try to force it to grow it does it naturally. I have had no problems because of its presence.

I have had the whole pot surface covered with moss on several junipers and even more tropicals without a hitch. I prefer to have partial areas covered in moss though as it looks better away from the base of the tree like a tree in your yard that the grass won't grow under due to the shade.

ed

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with Vance, and its for a rock planting, all the moss on my trees got there naturally.

Reaction score
As far a moss... If you get it from a very sunny place, it is use to the sun
and will usually do better, seeing that your tree is going to be more than
likely in the sun. What I do with the moss I find in shady areas is I grind
it up in a blender with some milk and then spread it on top of a trey full
of regular nursery soil... I keep it in the full sun, just water daily.
And presto !!! Moss in the sun.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far a moss... If you get it from a very sunny place, it is use to the sun
and will usually do better, seeing that your tree is going to be more than
likely in the sun. What I do with the moss I find in shady areas is I grind
it up in a blender with some milk and then spread it on top of a trey full
of regular nursery soil... I keep it in the full sun, just water daily.
And presto !!! Moss in the sun.

Man I bet your Daiquri's taste like crap !

ed

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have had the whole pot surface covered with moss on several junipers and even more tropicals without a hitch. I prefer to have partial areas covered in moss though as it looks better away from the base of the tree like a tree in your yard that the grass won't grow under due to the shade.

ed

Some people like me can get moss to grow on anything with no problem and others cannot cultivate moss on mud in the shade. However for those new to this thing you should keep moss formations off the trunks of your trees. It tends to break down the structure of the bark.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think there are different opinions about moss. If you live in a wet climate, moss can hold too much moisture in the soil. However, for hot dry climates, it can be used to keep moisture in the soil. In either case, it should be removed during winter storage because it can harbor pests and disease. Also, in regards to that. If you have some nice trees or even trees in training, if it was me, I would not go and just get moss and put it on my soil. If the moss is harboring fungal diseases or pests, you will be bringing in a bunch of problems. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Rob

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think there are different opinions about moss. If you live in a wet climate, moss can hold too much moisture in the soil. However, for hot dry climates, it can be used to keep moisture in the soil. In either case, it should be removed during winter storage because it can harbor pests and disease. Also, in regards to that. If you have some nice trees or even trees in training, if it was me, I would not go and just get moss and put it on my soil. If the moss is harboring fungal diseases or pests, you will be bringing in a bunch of problems. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Rob

Rob, you know that Fungus grows in dead material it lives off (eats) decay and when present will grow and produce fruits (mushrooms). All living things with a vascular system (passages that carry air) contain fungus spores (even people and animals) as its microscopic and it spreads in the wind. This is one the ways the earth cleanses itself through decay. Moss is unique among plants as it has no vascular system and relys on dampness for its sustenace, moss will never harbor fungal spores. It also is a natural cleaner of impurities especially microscopic impurities. In this way its beneficial to plants, also it cleans water by filtration. Any survival manual will tell you that water with moss in it is clean. The only pest I have ever seen associated with green mosses, and not due to it rather co-existing with it, is the pesky little gnats, which I also see in pine bark, soils and anywhere they can hide and get moisture.

ed

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Rob, you know that Fungus grows in dead material it lives off (eats) decay and when present will grow and produce fruits (mushrooms). All living things with a vascular system (passages that carry air) contain fungus spores (even people and animals) as its microscopic and it spreads in the wind. This is one the ways the earth cleanses itself through decay. Moss is unique among plants as it has no vascular system and relys on dampness for its sustenace, moss will never harbor fungal spores. It also is a natural cleaner of impurities especially microscopic impurities. In this way its beneficial to plants, also it cleans water by filtration. Any survival manual will tell you that water with moss in it is clean. The only pest I have ever seen associated with green mosses, and not due to it rather co-existing with it, is the pesky little gnats, which I also see in pine bark, soils and anywhere they can hide and get moisture.

ed

That makes sense. However, I was taught a very long time ago to remove moss in winter because it could harbor pests and if I remember correctly, diseases. This subject does not affect me, I do not add moss to my bonsai. If it grows naturally and does not get out of hand, I leave it. However, unless I was to grow it myself, I would not go out into the woods or where ever, bring it back and stick it on the soil of my trees. Also, one should be careful of areas sprayed with chemicals. After dealing with fungal diseases, scale and mites that were destroying my collection. I take every precaution possible, even if it is unreasonable, to prevent anything that I think might cause a problem.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have come to understand over the years that there are very few things in life that are immune from a good questioning now and then. When it comes to bonsai a lot of sacred cows are turned into prime rib because of research, experimentation and dumb luck.

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
I've had luck cultivating moss after repotting if I apply a thin layer of shredded white sphagnum moss after repotting and then pressing it firmly into place to ensure good contact.

Some observations, the year I started doing this, I had much better root growth and roots that happily colonized even the top layer of soil despite being in the full sun. Another benefit was that I had far fewer weeds to contend with.

On a recent trip to Japan, almost every tree I saw had a healthy surface layer of living colonized moss.... So the"for show" thing may be true to a small extent as it would be dressed up a bit.. I asked about this and was told it was cultivated there and desirable for better root growth, fewer weeds and for preservation of the soil. Akadama breaks down due to wear and tear from water, wind and sun. Adding moss will protect and immobilize akadama and help it stay intact longer.

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
...to add, my pet peeve is to see a bonsai on display with 3 title patches of moss applied to a brain desert of plain old bonsai soil. Nothing natural or artistic about that. But, that's just my own preference.

Top Bottom