Moss

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All,

Im sure this subject was already talked the number of times, i had a look at the forum but didn't find the answer to my question, so here it goes:
In one of the videos that i watched Ryan was talking about moss, and he uses mixture of dry grinded moss, 50/50 spagnum moss and collected moss, so my question is
What is collected moss?

I want to prepare same mixture as it make sense why he uses it this way and not a big slab of moss.

Lionheart

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think he's probably referring to moss that he's collected (gathered from the wild).

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The sphagnum is dried sphagnum from New Zealand, purchased on Amazon, or from reptile supply houses. The collected moss is fine-textured moss that you collect from paved surfaces, rocks, etc. If you have good quality sphagnum growing locally, you’re all set. Just collect it and dry it.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks,

I think i know which one he is talking about.
I have some collected spagnum will upload the photos to double check.
Cheers

Reaction score
The only way to have moss for our trees is to collect it? I can only find dried moss, not the living one.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I interpret Ryan’s mixture comment as being Spagnum moss and moss like I have growing on the ground...around rocks, around trees and around me anywhere. Wild moss is low green shallow seated or rooted. Wild moss, to my thinking, is generally the kind of lush green moss you see on a finished tree set for display.

Now...I only think this...I have no facts or experience mixing the two together. And I’m sure someone will debunk my thinking. However, I believe....that the ground Spagnum helps keep the ground wild moss moist as it grows to adher to a new surface. I don’t think the actual Spagnum regrows...just the wild moss. Together the moss would grow to a nicer velvet blanket formed about the surface rather than what I usually see as small clumps of Moss very tightly packed.

I...think....that’s what Ryan is doing. But I don’t know the actual video content.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know now which is the other moss, and you are right, spagnum moss is only there as a background for growing nice lush green moss.

So far i was using slabs and break them down to smaller pieces and let is regrow in the pot but i will see how this mixture will do.

I will report back here my findings but i guess it will take w while as i need to collect the other moss now :)

Thanks lads.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know now which is the other moss, and you are right, spagnum moss is only there as a background for growing nice lush green moss.

So far i was using slabs and break them down to smaller pieces and let is regrow in the pot but i will see how this mixture will do.

I will report back here my findings but i guess it will take w while as i need to collect the other moss now :)

Thanks lads.
I look forward to hearing about your moss experience. I knife up moss pieces often and just place them in older wooden boxes. I take care of them with watering...that’s about it. The clumps grow together quickly then I have larger well fitting select-interest moss blankets to work with. My boxes are generally about 13” x 10”. Over the course of a season the moss in the box will flourish, grow up the side walls, through any cracks and, if not checked, probably completely encase a box.

I was working on a forest scene a few years back. I used the moss boxes to grow moss around and through a fallen tree in the forest. It was a lot of fun to see and encourage the ancient appearance of the grounded-trunk. The moss really took quickly to the trunk....which was actually just a thick branch from one of the trees that I distressed and broke finer limbs closer to the “trunk” to give the impression of a trunk. I found it a good exercise to learn more about moss and what I could do...in the right conditions. You might try something like this just for fun. Very little care required. I’ll have to photograph some fun work next time.......maybe this upcoming season. I’d like to try a rock pile scene also. Over time though...I’ve realized I may be the only one gets excited at seeing a well executed bed if moss.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I interpret Ryan’s mixture comment as being Spagnum moss and moss like I have growing on the ground...around rocks, around trees and around me anywhere. Wild moss is low green shallow seated or rooted. Wild moss, to my thinking, is generally the kind of lush green moss you see on a finished tree set for display.

Now...I only think this...I have no facts or experience mixing the two together. And I’m sure someone will debunk my thinking. However, I believe....that the ground Spagnum helps keep the ground wild moss moist as it grows to adher to a new surface. I don’t think the actual Spagnum regrows...just the wild moss. Together the moss would grow to a nicer velvet blanket formed about the surface rather than what I usually see as small clumps of Moss very tightly packed.

I...think....that’s what Ryan is doing. But I don’t know the actual video content.
That is his reasoning behind it, I remember from his videos.
The sphagnum sticks to itself, forming a blanket for other mosses to grow. I have tried this technique and it.. Well it did not work. The sphagnum does form a blanket and it does keep the soil from moving when watering too! That's a nice advantage. But new moss growth occurs on the soil itself and not in/around the sphagnum.

Of course, sphagnum can be found all over the world, it doesn't have to come from a dried brick. It can be grown pretty easily in a DIY peat bog. I have done that for 10 years when I was growing both sphagnum as well as carnivorous plants in an outdoor mini-bog. The yield of sphagnum was enough to supply me for that year. But we can't get live sphagnum anymore and my bog died. The fresh stuff was the best for almost everything, from rooting cuttings to seeds or airlayers.

I used to collect moss, but now that I've used perlite in some of my soils, the stuff just grows everywhere by itself. That's exactly the type of moss I need; the stuff that grows on coarse bonsai soil. I've counted up to 3 species that do well in my climate and grow on their own. I'm going to try and grow out some samples, since it will all be gone in spring when the birds start building nests, but culturing moss is usually harder than it looks.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is his reasoning behind it, I remember from his videos.
The sphagnum sticks to itself, forming a blanket for other mosses to grow. I have tried this technique and it.. Well it did not work. The sphagnum does form a blanket and it does keep the soil from moving when watering too! That's a nice advantage. But new moss growth occurs on the soil itself and not in/around the sphagnum.

Of course, sphagnum can be found all over the world, it doesn't have to come from a dried brick. It can be grown pretty easily in a DIY peat bog. I have done that for 10 years when I was growing both sphagnum as well as carnivorous plants in an outdoor mini-bog. The yield of sphagnum was enough to supply me for that year. But we can't get live sphagnum anymore and my bog died. The fresh stuff was the best for almost everything, from rooting cuttings to seeds or airlayers.

I used to collect moss, but now that I've used perlite in some of my soils, the stuff just grows everywhere by itself. That's exactly the type of moss I need; the stuff that grows on coarse bonsai soil. I've counted up to 3 species that do well in my climate and grow on their own. I'm going to try and grow out some samples, since it will all be gone in spring when the birds start building nests, but culturing moss is usually harder than it looks.
“....harder than it looks.” Yes. And it sounds like you have an excellent approach and understanding of moss. I like that. Well done. Keep up the excellent work.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Are the different species more and less tolerant to sun?

I see it all the time now and want to collect and try the sphagnum mix, but its almost never in a full sun area.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are the different species more and less tolerant to sun?

I see it all the time now and want to collect and try the sphagnum mix, but its almost never in a full sun area.
Around here, we only get moss after a few days of precipitation. Of the two species I seem to see, one is more compact and lighter green. The other is more open and emerald green. I collect both, but the more compact one seems to take over, once established. I've kept it alive on the trees with frequent watering (three times a day in summer). When well hydrated, it's more emerald green. Collect what you can and mix it all in. It will sort itself out.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The only way to have moss for our trees is to collect it? I can only find dried moss, not the living one.
It can be grown from seed, but I know nothing of that. In my location I naturally have moss in a number of my trees pots, especially those with some shaded areas. I can find all kinds of good live moss just growing in shaded wooded areas in my neighborhood.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I can find it everywhere also, but someone recently told me that it has to be growing on concrete or something for it to work. They said moss growing on dirt in the shade wont grow on bonsai soil

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can find it everywhere also, but someone recently told me that it has to be growing on concrete or something for it to work. They said moss growing on dirt in the shade wont grow on bonsai soil
Not true.
I gather it in the woods and have a few types.
I grow it in empty pots and on glass picnic table against north wall does amazingly well..
Look for the moss growing on top the hills and in sunny areas.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The idea is that it may grow more easily on inorganic soil, but in my area it mostly only grows on moist soil on the north side of hills. That’s what I collect and it works fine.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have transplanted moss many times and have had pretty good luck with it. The best method I have used is to dry the moss naturally and screen it into a fine powder. Sprinkle the powder on the bonsai soil and keep watered. It does even better if you spray it with buttermilk though I would not for an indoors bonsai. You can also mix the ground moss with buttermilk and brush it on rocks, wood etc. This is nothing new but it is a method with a long history. I am surprised ity has not been mentioned because I first heard about it almost 50 years ago.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have transplanted moss many times and have had pretty good luck with it. The best method I have used is to dry the moss naturally and screen it into a fine powder. Sprinkle the powder on the bonsai soil and keep watered. It does even better if you spray it with buttermilk though I would not for an indoors bonsai. You can also mix the ground moss with buttermilk and brush it on rocks, wood etc. This is nothing new but it is a method with a long history. I am surprised ity has not been mentioned because I first heard about it almost 50 years ago.

When you screen the moss do you screen the soil as well as the green moss on top or just the top green moss? I like to put moss on top of my repotted trees but I don't like how thick the moss I use can be... I had a bird once take all the moss clean off one of my trees and new moss just stated to grow back which was a much thinner layer and looks much better.. I'm guessing your method would have a similar effect?

Top Bottom