Mosser Lee Combo-Meter

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
My wife and I stumbled across a light/pH/moisture meter by Mosser Lee while shopping at a big box home improvement store recently and wondered if anyone had any experience with this product (sorry, no link...it's not listed on the Mosser Lee website and I'm having some trouble pinning it down with Google since I don't remember its exact name). We've been thinking about getting a light meter for a while, and I want a pH meter for tinkering with my bonsai soils. Maybe this is just a really good deal and will save us from buying separate devices, but our general concern is (especially since it's pretty cheap) that it really isn't very accurate.

Even if you don't have experience with this particular product, do you have a recommendation for a passably reliable light or pH meter on the cheap side...or a more accurate meter that's worth the money?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
do you have a recommendation for a passably reliable light or pH meter on the cheap side...or a more accurate meter that's worth the money?

The best meter is you.

PH kits are available at a relatively low cost at most garden centers, light meters (if you actually need one) are readily available at photography shops, and experience is the best water meter. Most combo units are unreliable. When in doubt on such questions, it doesn't hurt to look to the nursery trade for answers, those professionals make a living growing plants and the faster and healthier they grow, the more profit is made.

One of the best resources for such information as it directly pertains to bonsai can be found at Brent's page.

Moisture meters, especially the good ones do work, but levels vary from brand to brand and they sometimes can be effected by other variables. Learning to water properly takes time, there really isn't a shortcut.

Will

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Thanks for the reply Will.

I just use wooden sticks if I need a moisture meter, the pH and light meters were really all we were interested in. We have a pretty shady yard, a greenhouse-esque room built off the back of our garage, and skylights and big windows in the house, so light levels are all over the place and we're curious to get a better sense of exactly how much light is available where. (My wife is an engineer and a plantaholic, if that helps explain things.)

Top Bottom