Most desirable ficus bonsai specie?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Because this thread started with particular figs available at Wigerts, some of the best have been unmentioned, like Green Island, Green Mound, and my favorite Too Little.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ceriano

I live in Richmond too, I wish I still had a bunch of cuttings, I'd give you one for free.

If you wait untill later on in the spring or summer when I take more cuttings, I'll give you one. They won't have much movement, but they'll be a foot or two tall and hey, free is free.... It will be a microcarpa (tiger bark).
Sweet! When do you take tropical out in summer? Early May?
I picked this one up from big green nursery.

Attachments

• 6731DFE1-78D4-4DA1-9EB5-C7D048EDCBA1.jpeg
    6731DFE1-78D4-4DA1-9EB5-C7D048EDCBA1.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 14

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get the 100 buck one and throw this one in for good measure.

This one looks too good to be true for $25. :) They have this for $750

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Do they ship immediately or wait until it gets warmer? Nightly temps will be in low 30s this week.
Andrea will usually ask if you want them to include a heat pack, or they will keep your tree until the weather is safe, for a small fee. You would be surprised how nice some of their $25 trees are. If you want something specific, e-mail them. They have lots more than what they post on their website. They will even send pictures.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Andrea will usually ask if you want them to include a heat pack, or they will keep your tree until the weather is safe, for a small fee. You would be surprised how nice some of their $25 trees are. If you want something specific, e-mail them. They have lots more than what they post on their website. They will even send pictures.
Is ground shipping safe in winter? according to UPS it takes 2 days.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second this. Andrea gives excellent customer service, even though I know they are incredibly busy.

On the '89 salicarias, I will make a couple of comments. The $200 tree appears to have a large wound on the trunk. I purchased a similar one last year that I returned due to some type of fungal infection that had killed a large area of bark. When I removed the bark to investigate, it looked just like that one. Also, I believe they tend to price trees higher based on height and presence of aerial roots. However as you can see, the taller trunks severely lack taper. Really, I think that the $100 tree that you shared is much nicer than the others with a little movement and taper down low. Also be aware that in the dense canopy you are likely to find a large, straight chop scar. Any one of these trees will likely have to be re-cut and properly healed before any serious styling. Do not look to put one directly into a bonsai pot and ever have it be worthwhile. Had I kept the one I returned, I would probably have UP-POTTED it actually, and grown it out for some years. Yes they are large trunks, but still need a lot of development.

I have not looked recently, but when I shopped their site Wigert's did not have any large standard salicarias. It's a shame, because they are much better for bonsai in my opinion that the '89 variant. I would really like to get my hands on a good one. Well, there are actually some good ones on ebay right now, but I am taking a break on buying trees until after I move.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also gotta ACTUALLY put in a good word for “we are the bonsai supply”... they shipped my tigerbark in the dead of winter (Wisconsin from Florida).. it arrived, fully foliated... never even “blowing any of it’s coat” due to shipping stress.

🤓

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What size pot should I use for the willow leaf? 12"?

As I mentioned above, it may not necessarily be ready for a bonsai pot. I suggest you wait and see what's what when you receive the tree. It really won't be repotting time until summer anyway, so you have some time to consider.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My pine came UPS...mailed on Monday arrived Thursday. I don't ship less hardy trees in winter. I worry about unforseen variables. But that's just me. Like...my Flying Dragon...could have possibly been shipped this week. But...would rather have no stress on my part.. It ships in spring.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My pine came UPS...mailed on Monday arrived Thursday. I don't ship less hardy trees in winter. I worry about unforseen variables. But that's just me. Like...my Flying Dragon...could have possibly been shipped this week. But...would rather have no stress on my part.. It ships in spring.
I left a note not to ship it this week. Lets see what they do. Next week lows will be in 40s.

Top Bottom