Most difficult tree to bonsai?

CrimsonA3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hey guys,
New to bonsai and excited to get started. Just wanted to ask a stupid question out of curiosity really.

What is the absolute hardest tree to bonsai?
Is it readily available or are there many trees that just don't respond to bonsai at all?
Thanks!

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's a matter of the trees' natural tendencies and if they lend themselves to the miniature scales of bonsai. Not so much their ability to live in a pot.

For example, I have never personally seen a sycamore. I'm sure it can be grown in a pot, but the leaves are particularly huge and dont get small enough to look "realistic" in miniature.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
And the always overlooked, lily pads.
come on. Really?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hickory has to be one of the worst. Large taproot, large compound leaves, extremely hard, inflexible wood, and internodes a foot long.

That being said, as a beginner, I would focus on the most amenable species. Trying to find something local that is suitable can be very frustrating, and soon leads to burnout or giving up. Start off with something known to be easy and you'll be more successful than trying to "buy local". Bonsai is one of the instances that doesn't ascribe to that ideology.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Money trees don't ramify at all until they are very large. Every cut gives back just one replacement branch.

Sometimes two will sprout, but the loser is quickly killed off.

Maybe some adventurous grafting could get you something, but it would be hard.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wouldn't you be more interested in what trees would be the easiest, for a beginner? Confusing question. o_O

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Maybe they just asked the wrong question but wanted the same out come..Lets give them the doubt first..
If what you are meaning is the trees to stay away from for a beginner ? i would say it all depends on where you live , if your gonna try indoor or outdoor ect. GENERALLY Ficus is a great starter. i made the mistake of buying a Shimpaku ( so beautiful ) and murdered it like some psycho :'( . i also happened to slowly murder 3 Fukien tea that i saved from a hardware store ( they got so big and strong and then winter just....did them in )

Do you have any other questions other then asking what the hardest ones to have are ?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Southern s Magnolia. No matter what you do, the leaves will be HUGE!
We have one close to the house, my husband absolutely hates it. It drops those giant leathery leaves on the patio for weeks in the early summer when it sheds it's old leaves. But the flowers are as big as a dinner plate and smell wonderful.

Last edited:

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just check out the groups on Facebook, daily postings of brown junipers, according to them they are the hardest.
And then they constantly wanna bonsai tomato plants and all sorts of vegetables that vaguely resembles a tree shape

Oh yeah, trunk chopping and wiring seedlings that sprouted last Wednesday are also incredibly difficult

Top Bottom