Most expensive bonsai contest :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dan,

I've read this before and always nice to read it again. So much wisdom on those few Q&A.

Thanks!!! :)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
it has been a few years ago, but I was told on a visit to Mr. Kobayashi's garden that he had recently sold "a tree" to the Taiwan govt for the equivalent of $5 million US...i was also told he used the money to build the building in the garden that he uses now for tokonomas and antique pots. Pretty reliable source but I have no real idea if it is true or not.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
very interesting topic! It's one thing to put a high price tag on a tree and another for someone to actually pay that much.

I wonder what the highest price a Bonsai has sold for in the U.S?

I wonder when if ever we will see a tree sell for a million in the US?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
very interesting topic! It's one thing to put a high price tag on a tree and another for someone to actually pay that much.

I wonder what the highest price a Bonsai has sold for in the U.S?

I wonder when if ever we will see a tree sell for a million in the US?

We may never know since most sellers and buyers at that price range are usually secretive. There are a few who will have a media blitz with it but most will happen w/o us knowing or hearing about it.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
We may never know since most sellers and buyers at that price range are usually secretive. There are a few who will have a media blitz with it but most will happen w/o us knowing or hearing about it.

Yah you are probably right. However it would be so coo to see a tree go for 1mil at an auction or for sale at one of the big shows in the future. I wonder if I will ever witness it in my lifetime? Or it would be even better If I can sell a tree for 1 mil someday in the future.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Or it would be even better If I can sell a tree for 1 mil someday in the future.
Before that day comes...you will be famous doing the show circuit; teaching, doing demo, etc. already ;)

Unless you just purchased a great tree (close to 1mil already) and flip it.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Before that day comes...you will be famous doing the show circuit; teaching, doing demo, etc. already ;)

Unless you just purchased a great tree (close to 1mil already) and flip it.

In order to sell a tree for 1 mil, IMO the following would have to occur:

1. I would have to collect it or grow it from seed, cutting or air layer-this would take the majority of the rest of my life- i'm 29 right now

2. I would have to find an extremely wealthy client that could not live without it and connect with him

3. Bonsai would have to grow by leaps and bounds in the U.S. which would get more people involved and more wealthy people involved

4. High level competition would have to increase in the US, which would drive both the quality and price of trees up in the U.S. Kokufu/Sakufu status in the U.S.

Top Bottom