Mother Daughter/keep or cut?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
the smaller branch is arrow straight, with little or no interest,
Two cuts and it's no longer straight... and wiring after that to make the branch better mirror the mother movement. Just my take, I'm sure either way the main trunk certainly has potential with that bark.

116151-1bbd8afb0135536dd1258ed741069dcf.jpg.png

Coach

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That little wiggle in mom is interesting, no doubt, however, it goes no farther than that.

It's Newbie eye interesting.

Even with a compact crown around that wiggle, it's still taperless.

The way I see it....
You can go layer an elm branch anywhere and have the mother instantly.

You don't always get a bud in the perfect spot to hide a chop, Start taper, and build a wicked bad little tree.

Please.....
Please.....

Cut mom in the future.

Sorce
I feel ya Sorce...I see what you see...it's why I started the post! Thank you for the encouragement...mom makes it to 2018 for now

Coach

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Two cuts and it's no longer straight... and wiring after that to make the branch better mirror the mother movement. Just my take, I'm sure either way the main trunk certainly has potential with that bark.

Good eye! 2 cuts coming up. Thank you

View attachment 128510

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
If this was my tree, what I would do is be on the lookout for an interesting pot to put it in, there is no way I would cut the taller trunk, that bark makes all the difference and it has enough movement too. personally I see no need for the small trunk and not sure how it would fit the design. it also comes at exact the opposite angle from the main trunk which I don't like. I'd only keep it to fatten the base of that is needed.

In a nice pot and fall colour time it's gonna be plenty pretty. I like this tree

Maybe some inspiration
mini-CIMG1668.JPG

Top Bottom