Mother natures attempt at literati

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm a sucker for collecting young trees with this character...esp hornbeams. Anyone else?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice American Beech. Leave as a treat for others to find. Unless you really want to then make sure you can grab it next spring.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I haven't made up my mind if I want it or not. Where this was not many people is going to be able to find it. I will be going back there are some decent trees I want to look at again up there.

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Out for a hike in the mountains today and found this. About 4ft tall.View attachment 433182
A beautiful specimen. A 4ft. tall tree is a big ask on space, though. Of course, people do fashion bonsai from trees of this size, but it isn't for every tree/ style or person.
Although I would probably leave it-- If you do end up taking it, then I would try to develop the canopy in such a way that you can get a "tail" of sorts careening down the concave side of the trunk. That may serve to highlight its natural shape. Alternatively, you could just style the canopy as you would any ordinary umbrella-top. That's what the tree seems to be going for at this time, albeit with a very unique trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd collect and plant to get established and then into a bonsai pot, as is. What is it?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question as well^^^. Do you know what the tree is? A Beech was mentioned but I'm pretty sure that isn't right.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd collect and plant to get established and then into a bonsai pot, as is. What is it?
My question as well^^^. Do you know what the tree is? A Beech was mentioned but I'm pretty sure that isn't right.
To be honest I don't know. I will be making a trip back up there before the leaves began to fall so I can id it plus there is some other trees i want to check out :) . The leaves were just starting to pop open so a id was hard.
If it does come with me (probably will) it will go in the ground I'm my compost at least a year to work on the roots.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely not a beech. not in a wettish area like that. Beech grow on upland locations. This looks to me like a Black Cherry-Prunus serotina.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would be happy with a black cherry. This area stays damp as there is some natural water seeping out of the ground but this almost the tip top on a mountain.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be happy with a black cherry. This area stays damp as there is some natural water seeping out of the ground but this almost the tip top on a mountain.
Doesn't matter about the mountain. Wet soil means not a beech. I've had black cherry as bonsai. Collected a very old one a while back. Had it for almost 20 years. Frustrating tree. Dropped branches, weird rooting habits and a bug magnet. Finally got fed up with it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely not a beech. not in a wettish area like that. Beech grow on upland locations. This looks to me like a Black Cherry-Prunus serotina.
I think black cherry nailed it. I have tons of the nasty things here.
Still, it is interesting in shape.

Top Bottom