Mother Nature's MISTAKES

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
It is recomended that bonsaists look closely at trees in nature to gain inspiration and an understanding of how nature works. Good advice. But sometimes I wonder if Mother Nature is out of her mind.

We used to walk passed this tree each and every day on the way to my boy's school untill we discovered that my 8-year-old is allergic to Birch pollen. It is UGLY, and every day I tried to understand how this happened. But none of the ideas I've had are realistic. Can you figure this one out? Or have you photos of trees as ugly as this one?

Attachments

• BIRCH 100c.jpg
    BIRCH 100c.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 115
  • BIRCH 102.JPG
    BIRCH 102.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 114

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wild.

I have one of those in a park by me.
Ugly too, I'll get a pic in a week or so.

Bring em out!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is what happens when the tree looses it's leader. The next branch down, then starts to climb up to the sun, and becomes the new leader. The other reason you would see branches like this in a forest is from other trees falling down on a branch and bending it in odd directions when young. You may not see the fallen tree anymore, but it shaped the tree by laying on it for long enough to set the branch in a bent position.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
This is what happens when the tree looses it's leader. The next branch down, then starts to climb up to the sun, and becomes the new leader. The other reason you would see branches like this in a forest is from other trees falling down on a branch and bending it in odd directions when young. You may not see the fallen tree anymore, but it shaped the tree by laying on it for long enough to set the branch in a bent position.
That doesn't explain (1) why there is no visable leader "chop" (2) why the short horizontal is thicker than both the trunk (below it) and the branch to the left of it (3) how the horizontal managed to be buttressed against the lower trunk, and (4) how the new leader ended up 120 degrees to the right.

BTW: Your theory on the fallen second tree sounds good but this tree is in the garden of a block of flats. In all probability, it would have been deemed too dangerous to lie aginst the other tree (for even a short time) considering this area is highly inhabited on all sides.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That doesn't explain (1) why there is no visable leader "chop" (2) why the short horizontal is thicker than both the trunk (below it) and the branch to the left of it (3) how the horizontal managed to be buttressed against the lower trunk, and (4) how the new leader ended up 120 degrees to the right.

BTW: Your theory on the fallen second tree sounds good but this tree is in the garden of a block of flats. In all probability, it would have been deemed too dangerous to lie aginst the other tree (for even a short time) considering this area is highly inhabited on all sides.

Fine, I was just conversing about possible scenarios. All of your points are very difficult to see in your photo.

I also stated that the fallen branch theory was for trees in a forest. I realize that this probably didn't happen to this particular tree where is is planted.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everyday I drive past an eastern white pine and right near the top there's a witches broom. It's a perfect sphereical pom pom where the apex of the tree should be

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is difficult to see what's really going on from the photos. Maybe the tree was responding to an insect attack or some disease process that caused that section to grow horizontally for a while, then it recovered and began growing upward. I have a young Korean hornbeam in my growing bed that did something similar, for a year or two all it did was grow horizontal branches...then it finally started growing a normal, upward leader. I have no idea why! But the main trunk now has a similar angular segment.

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
Old magnolias tend to do that. I always figured the older branches put out waterspouts to get additional sun.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
It is difficult to see what's really going on from the photos. Maybe the tree was responding to an insect attack or some disease process that caused that section to grow horizontally for a while, then it recovered and began growing upward. I have a young Korean hornbeam in my growing bed that did something similar, for a year or two all it did was grow horizontal branches...then it finally started growing a normal, upward leader. I have no idea why! But the main trunk now has a similar angular segment.
An interesting theory. It would also explain the uneven growth in thickness. Hmmmmm ..........

Top Bottom