Mountain Elm #1

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks great. Isn't Ulmus glabra the Wych Elm? Is the mountain elm different?

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my country we have three species of ulmus: most common is ulmus minor(field elm), you can find some ulmus laevis close to rivers and ulmus glabra higher in the mountains. There are many cross between these three species, especially between ulmus minor and ulmus laevis. I am not sure why field elm is so popular as bonsai while other two species are unjustly overlooked.

Oh, and the tree looks really beautiful :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi @Walter Pall how does this rate as a 'good' species for bonsai?

I have the chance to buy a chunky ulmus glabra pre bonsai but I'm a little concerned about the rarity of them in bonsai - especially given they are actually the UK's only native elm and known to be extremely vigorous and very hardy.

I've read that they are 'slightly' coarser in growth habit than ulmus minor but that shouldn't be a problem in a medium sized bonsai should it?

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi @Walter Pall how does this rate as a 'good' species for bonsai?

I have the chance to buy a chunky ulmus glabra pre bonsai but I'm a little concerned about the rarity of them in bonsai - especially given they are actually the UK's only native elm and known to be extremely vigorous and very hardy.

I've read that they are 'slightly' coarser in growth habit than ulmus minor but that shouldn't be a problem in a medium sized bonsai should it?

They are coarser. If the tree is large it does not mattter. Otherwise they are a typical elm and almost not destructble, Go for it!

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Elm-tacular - I love it!

Top Bottom