MOUNTAIN HEMLOCK ADVICE PLEASE

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have wanted to collect Mt Hemlock for several years now. I have looked everywhere in the Mts where I live but none found. I collected several over around Diamond Lake last year in the late fall that were ok, but not great. My wife and I went to Bandon a couple of weeks ago and on the way back stopped at a point on the McKenzie pass and looked around for some, knowing it was way to early to fall collect as yet. We found some nice ones in the short hike we took. Looking forward to collecting in the spring but there is a problem with heavy snow, road closures, money for gas, motel, and food etc, etc, so decided to look here again. Got some info from a non-bonsai friend about a sighting of some 2 hours away. You know how that can go. You finally find the place and nothing of the kind is within 100 miles. Very different this time. My wife was driving pretty slowly up the rough gravel/dirt road as we were climbing in altitude when I spotted on about 6' high off the road aways. You can always tell these in amongst the small pines, spruce, and Larches because of the droopy apex and the new growth of blue needles against the old green ones. I'm off with a pad, pen and surveyor's tape. I had to go about 1/4 mile before I really started to run into them, and then they were all over, good ones with good movement, lots of branches and the right size. I was taking co-ordinates and writing them down as I was going along. These trees were beautiful and very different that the ones I had collected down by diamond lake for some reason. The branches and trunks had more movement, and better color all the way around. The ground also looked to be good digging with loam and NO ROCKS! I felt a bit blessed by this find for sure.

I do want to ask questions about collecting these trees as I have very little experience with the Hemlocks. I collect in the fall and spring both. I realize that some trees are ok with late fall collecting and some are not. I can protect any tree I collect in the fall so the roots with not freeze and cause problems during the winter months. Maybe someone with experience can chime in here with their thoughts. Also, how particular are they with root disturbance? Do I need to take a good-sized root ball? Should I stay with the smaller trunked 1/2"-3/4" or can I step up to some larger ones like 1-3"? As always, help is very much appreciated. August

Attachments

• 68211276558__89EF20E4-ABEC-4257-ACDF-868B3D5AE86D.jpg
    68211276558__89EF20E4-ABEC-4257-ACDF-868B3D5AE86D.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 68211280159__FD6F9120-9A84-41BF-8284-52F65CDE0F81.jpg
    68211280159__FD6F9120-9A84-41BF-8284-52F65CDE0F81.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 68211276558__89EF20E4-ABEC-4257-ACDF-868B3D5AE86D.jpg
    68211276558__89EF20E4-ABEC-4257-ACDF-868B3D5AE86D.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 68211277514__2E3EEAA5-C6D7-4107-B6B6-A97446035BD9.jpg
    68211277514__2E3EEAA5-C6D7-4107-B6B6-A97446035BD9.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 39
  • 68211280159__FD6F9120-9A84-41BF-8284-52F65CDE0F81.jpg
    68211280159__FD6F9120-9A84-41BF-8284-52F65CDE0F81.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4752.jpg
    IMG_4752.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 46

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You happen to be on Mirai Live? Might be something on there🤔. Also suggest Michael Hagedorn would be great source He really likes these. If you can reach him am pretty sure he'd be glad to give pointers☺️. Cretageus Bonsai his website.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would suggest a quick search of the Collecting and Importing section, one topic includes a lot of the information you seek. It is titled " identifying better collections sites"
It also describes collection techniques for Mt. Hemlock. A lot of detailed collection information with aftercare suggestions are also included in these threads. just type MT. Hemlock in search and select the threads of interest
The site you show in the pictures is not one that I would choose for collecting Mt. Hemlock. Typical dense forested areas are usually a poor bet for good Bonsai potential.
Some key items usually present are higher elevation, poorer soil conditions, exposed rocky out cropping with stunted or weather beaten growth. Areas subjected to very high snow pack which affects the twists and turns of growth patterns. Sometimes it involves high altitude swampier sites with exposed hummock.
Hope the comments help. I believe the answers to all of your questions are in those threads.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You happen to be on Mirai Live? Might be something on there🤔. Also suggest Michael Hagedorn would be great source He really likes these. If you can reach him am pretty sure he'd be glad to give pointers☺️. Cretageus Bonsai his website.
Signed up for both presently. Do wish there was more on collecting and immediate care afterwards for these trees. Maybe I just haven't found it yet

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Signed up for both presently. Do wish there was more on collecting and immediate care afterwards for these trees. Maybe I just haven't found it yet
Michael provides great instruction and notes with respect to Mt. Hemlock in his intensive program. There is also the added bonus of being able to work on the species with his guidance. Perhaps consider his intensive program, he is certainly a great source within your region.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Michael provides great instruction and notes with respect to Mt. Hemlock in his intensive program. There is also the added bonus of being able to work on the species with his guidance. Perhaps consider his intensive program, he is certainly a great source within your region.
I was unaware of that intensive program Frank. I will look into it. Thanks!

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only one datapoint, but I collected a large Mt. Hemlock last fall and it didn't miss a beat. So definitely not a hard species to collect. Collected in late September at around 5500'. Roots kept from freezing over the winter, though the top was allowed to freeze for the few cold spells we have in Seattle zone 8. Pure pumice, shade (until mid spring), no other special care. Foliage mass reduced by 75% to reflect lost root mass.

PXL_20210925_054923472 (1).jpg

Collected a few more this year so I'll know more next spring.

One thing I've learned this summer with other species is just how important it is to keep the needles wet when the trees are newly collected, i.e. a misting system. It has bumped my larch success rate from around 60% to nearly 100% for larches that are bare rooted in spring or fall -- one place I collect from is essentially sand. Saved some struggling subalpine firs as well. Huge difference. Depending on your local climate and when you collect, consider some system to keep the top wet before winter dormancy, and in early spring.

Also agree with Frank on location. Good hemlocks for me have been the most difficult to find. To find good movement I've had to look for exposed sites, preferrably the north edges of ridgelines. Otherwise I only find straight trunks or, worse, trunks with one long U-shaped bend from snow load.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Only one datapoint, but I collected a large Mt. Hemlock last fall and it didn't miss a beat. So definitely not a hard species to collect. Collected in late September at around 5500'. Roots kept from freezing over the winter, though the top was allowed to freeze for the few cold spells we have in Seattle zone 8. Pure pumice, shade (until mid spring), no other special care. Foliage mass reduced by 75% to reflect lost root mass.

View attachment 451515

Collected a few more this year so I'll know more next spring.

One thing I've learned this summer with other species is just how important it is to keep the needles wet when the trees are newly collected, i.e. a misting system. It has bumped my larch success rate from around 60% to nearly 100% for larches that are bare rooted in spring or fall -- one place I collect from is essentially sand. Saved some struggling subalpine firs as well. Huge difference. Depending on your local climate and when you collect, consider some system to keep the top wet before winter dormancy, and in early spring.

Also agree with Frank on location. Good hemlocks for me have been the most difficult to find. To find good movement I've had to look for exposed sites, preferrably the north edges of ridgelines. Otherwise I only find straight trunks or, worse, trunks with one long U-shaped bend from snow load.
Good report. Good to know some of the tricks too. How often should the misting be done in winter and early spring in my cold frame that has heat matts in it?

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one of those electronic leaf devices. Saw it at Hagedorn's last year and decided to try it. It triggers the misting system whenever the surfaces dry out. In full sun during summer as often as every 10 minutes. At night almost never. And I won't use it during the winter here -- it would never trigger anyways since it's so wet and humid.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i got 3 little eastern hemlock going on their second year. collected in June 2021, have them in morning sun only, under breezeway, and well watered (mimics the swamp understory i found them) i wont repot until maybe next year , theyre doing quite well

Top Bottom