Mountain Hemlock First Styling

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do the heaviest wire first, then the next heaviest, and etc. until you are down to the thinnest wire out at the tips. Then when you lay on the next thinner wire it goes in the same direction as the heavier wire --> no crossings. It makes taking the wire off (or just some of it) so much simpler. Ryan has a nice video on this.

btw, you should be able to bend the trunk a lot more. Simply twist it in the direction that will tighten the wire as you do so. The aluminum wire you are using may not hold (copper would work much better) - rig a guy to hold it in position (it is better if the guy ties to two points on the tree rather than one end being on the pot or if it must, have a second guy to balance the pressure so the tree doesn't pop out of the pot).

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Do the heaviest wire first, then the next heaviest, and etc. until you are down to the thinnest wire out at the tips. Then when you lay on the next thinner wire it goes in the same direction as the heavier wire --> no crossings. It makes taking the wire off (or just some of it) so much simpler. Ryan has a nice video on this.

btw, you should be able to bend the trunk a lot more. Simply twist it in the direction that will tighten the wire as you do so. The aluminum wire you are using may not hold (copper would work much better) - rig a guy to hold it in position (it is better if the guy ties to two points on the tree rather than one end being on the pot or if it must, have a second guy to balance the pressure so the tree doesn't pop out of the pot).
When I first started wiring this tree last fall I began with the trunk to get the structural support on, but was damaging the bark down low, so decided to try the branch bender instead. Realizing that was a mistake, I decided that the bark would eventually grow back if damaged and the straight section of the trunk would bother me if left unchanged, so I went ahead and did what I felt needed to be done in less than ideal order. I'm not sure I want to add a ton of movement to the trunk, as I do like the subtle movement, but if I do I will get a hold of some larger copper wire, as I only have rather light gauges at the moment, and try to get some twist and 3D movement. Thanks for your input Oso.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I understand, @Josh88.

I'll just mention for your interest that raffia, vet wrap (sold at 'country stores'), self-amalgamating silicone tape (sold at autoparts stores for repairing radiator hoses) all work well to cushion bark from wire. All can be left in place for years without adversely effecting the health of the tree. Raffia will have the least effect on bark cosmetics, but is the least durable of the three. Wrap one of them (or something similar) before applying the wire.

Oh, I forgot to mention,

nice tree! :cool:

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I repotted it this spring into this Lynn August pot. It’s not it’s final pot, but I didn’t want to reduce the root mass too much, and it responded with very good growth. I see it eventually in a crescent perhaps. I put some more movement into the trunk and changed the angle. I got together with Greg Brendan from BSOP to get his input on design, and this is where we left it for now. It’s popping a lot of buds for next years growth and looks like I will have a lot of choices to make in thinning it and creating more negative space next year.
868963CE-90B9-40E3-BCD7-C7D43A963FBB.jpeg
26961F63-345F-42A2-AEE3-C6CC70E19F8C.jpeg

Attachments

• 0F85E006-957F-45A9-A406-39E77FDB1CC1.jpeg
    0F85E006-957F-45A9-A406-39E77FDB1CC1.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 3

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 160826 View attachment 160827 I found this mountain hemlock early this spring hiding in the corner of a local nursery. It had been shaded out by its neighbors for along time, and I took it home with plans of trying a literati/slant style. First pic is as purchased. It grew quite well this season not being shaded out. I put it on the bench last night to look at it for a while and decided to give it some initial direction. I found limited options in picking a front as most angles hid what little movement there is in the lower trunk, and a few branches crossed the trunk with no real hope of correction, so Inhad to hide that or get rid of them, and at many angles it leaned away from the viewer. I thinned the apex but did not wire or cut too much there, as I want to sit with that a little longer before making my choices. Thoughts, advice, and critiques are most welcome.
Josh
The trunk will be very easy to bend and create movement at that size! You can use raffia for protection and number 6 copper wire! Branch Bender or Jack could be used but not likely needed!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The trunk will be very easy to bend and create movement at that size! You can use raffia for protection and number 6 copper wire! Branch Bender or Jack could be used but not likely needed!
I would consider a more upright style for Hemlock, take advantage of the natural branching and foliage characteristics. If you wire at a 45 degree angle and anchor properley the trunk will bend. The 45 degree angle gives the wire better holding power to keep the trunk in the position after bending.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
@ghues I moved from Portland to the Charlotte area of North Carolina right as the world shut down, and sadly that meant leaving behind all of my hemlock and fir (most of my collected trees). I traded them with Bobby Cutright. This is the current state of this tree with Bobby. 366870CD-4393-407B-B908-8FEDFC43DD6D.jpeg

Top Bottom