Mountain Hemlock styling advice

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I bought this Mountain Hemlock yesterday and have been doing some styling/wiring. I've only made a couple cuts so far. Looking to get feedback on overall style as well as suggestions for the top. Do I make a jin/lightning strike looking broken top? Should I attempt to make the cut less noticable and plan to fill in the crowm with foliage in the future? In general I like taking bold action with styling if it's effective. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20200118_162843.jpg
    20200118_162843.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200119_122201.jpg
    20200119_122201.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20200119_122811.jpg
    20200119_122811.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 182

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Agreed Cosmos. There are 2 little trunks there. One of them naturally has curves that mimic the curve of the main trunk line of the tree. It could potentially fit into that white space if bent over toward the main trunk. My gut is telling me I'll eventually remove it, but I'll keep it around for options and at the very least it helps thicken the base as a sacrificial branch.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Fantastic material. I think your tree is indeed in that edited photo. The second trunk isn't big enough to work as a Mother/Daughter combination, IMO. You could reduce the large tree while allowing the small one to grow unchecked. I think multi trunked trees are always more interesting than single ones. In any case, I second the other comments that you should keep it until you're absolutely sure that you don't want it. It's easy to remove but not as easy to put back.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Agreed Misfit. I feel the small trunk is currently too small to effectively be a mother/daughter. Right now is takes away from the powerful image of the main tree as opposed to strengthening it. I'll leave it be for the reasons above.

I'm still stuck on how to handle the apex of the tree though.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Bold action" too quick sometimes eliminates good outcomes not immediately obvious;). How is root system? Does it allow/require Cascade style? Check Michael Hagedorns site for unorthodox mountain Hemlock plantings. May give pause for thought.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've definitely admired Michael Hagedorn's trees. His clump/forest Mountain Hemlock is incredible. I'm in Washington and would definitely take a trip to see his collection if possible. The slant style I'm going for seems like a fun/interesting take for this tree. The pot is full of roots, but I haven't gotten in there too deep yet for a close inspection. So far, I'm not seeing any big barriers for a semi-cascade/slant style.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update: Repotted today in 100% Pumice. For this spring, should I leave the top or chop? Part of me feels like I should leave it for a few years to allow the tree to strengthen and make new roots. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20200223_172435.jpg
    20200223_172435.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 96

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought this Mountain Hemlock yesterday and have been doing some styling/wiring. I've only made a couple cuts so far. Looking to get feedback on overall style as well as suggestions for the top. Do I make a jin/lightning strike looking broken top? Should I attempt to make the cut less noticable and plan to fill in the crowm with foliage in the future? In general I like taking bold action with styling if it's effective. Thanks for looking!
Wow nice find! I wouldn't lose the smaller tree. Would definitely use it.
Your edited vs is good for that top jin initially, (reducing another 8-10" later) but I see the apex lower. I don't have to
cross my eyes or think hardly at all to see a nice A shaped apex just below there.
Shows up unadulterated or stands out, in the thumbnail from todays post.
Of course like you said, after the tree recovers from repotting 2022.
This is going to be nice. Subbed to the thread.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update: Repotted today in 100% Pumice. For this spring, should I leave the top or chop? Part of me feels like I should leave it for a few years to allow the tree to strengthen and make new roots. Thoughts?
I think that is a great idea!

It looks to me that you then simply chop it and it only needs to go into a nice pot for show. SharedScreenshot.jpg
Since that is a year or two down the road, I'd wait until then to decide about the little shoot. it is potentially a very interesting feature. It needs wire and experimenting in the meantime, I think.

If I've noted correctly to myself, the coastal hemlock (heterophylla) branch tips tend to point up and mountain hemlock (mertensiana) tend to droop or point down = a subtle point to maybe artily exploit, depending on your mood. If you haven't already check out Bobby Cutright's (Cascadia Bonsai) mountain hemlock work while you patiently wait. He apprenticed with Michael H.

Jphipps

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks again for the advice guys! I'll leave the top of the tree for a couple more years in order to facilitate healthy root growth. There are 2 little trunks to the right side. I'll probably keep the bigger one and wire it to mirror the shape and direction of the main trunk by bending it to the left to fill in that open space. I'm still concerned it's too small to look good next to the main trunk, but time will tell :)

Top Bottom