Mountain Magogany

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have one of a different species. Silver-leaf mountain mahogany. I love it - but I have only had it about 8 months and just replanted it for the first time. Mine has much rounder leaves.

For what it's worth - almost the hardest wood of any tree in North America... only slightly behind ironwood. So dense it sinks in water.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Oh, I love these! Yes, there are several species.
Cercocarpus intricatus - littleleaf mountain mahogany
Cercocarpus ledifolius - curl-leaf mountain mahogany
Cercocarpus montanus - alderleaf mountain mahogany Likely what you have @Bonsai Nut
Cercocarpus traskiae - Catalina Island mountain mahogany

As they are Rosaceae they are quite susceptible to all the standard stuff that roses get. Watch the fungal infections. I have had a few and lost them all to fungus.

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
Growing new leaves like crazy. About 5 days and leaves go from just starting to full size. It’s and insanely warm winter here this year. Should fill out real nice this spring and see what I can shape it like. Fun project.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one, and I was wondering about repotting. Any particular advice?

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
So Scott, how did your mountain mahogany do? Do you still have it? I collected a little one 6 weeks ago and it looks good but we will have to see what happens when it gets hot this summer. I got almost no feeder roots.

scottc

Mame
Reaction score
So Scott, how did your mountain mahogany do? Do you still have it? I collected a little one 6 weeks ago and it looks good but we will have to see what happens when it gets hot this summer. I got almost no feeder roots.
Could not get roots to grow at all. If would survive from drenching but as it got hot that stopped working.

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
That’s what I anticipate happeningwith mine. I have several mountain mahogany in the xeric part of my landscaping. I got them in 6 inch pots three years ago and now they are 3-4 feet tall. that’s the way to go if they are wanted for bonsai. The yamadori that I collected doesn’t bend very well anyway. I recently got a dwarf mountain mahogany from a friend who taught at USU. it is 6-7 years old from a cutting and 9 inches tall. The leaves are almost like tiny little yew leaves they are thick but no longer than 1/4 inch long. The trunk has a little movement but the branches are pretty straight and will bend only a little. It will be fun to see what I can do with it.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Kvolk, I recall seeing you post about your dwarf variety a while back. Any new pics of interest, or not much happening yet?
I have one growing in my new yard with a two inch or so thick branch stretching out over the drive that will need removed. I was thinking of attempting an air layer for the sake of not wasting it. Thoughts on how I should expect it to work out if done correctly? Could I try now, or better to wait until spring?

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
I have no idea in air layering mountain mahogany as I have never tried it All I know is that the dwarf variety is propagated by cuttings so I’m guessing that it will air layer. I would wait until mid-spring. I’m not going to do anything with my little one until then and may try to root some cuttings when I trim it.

asdsuu

Seed
Reaction score
I have no idea in air layering mountain mahogany as I have never tried it All I know is that the dwarf variety is propagated by cuttings so I’m guessing that it will air layer. I would wait until mid-spring. I’m not going to do anything with my little one until then and may try to root some cuttings when I trim it.
@Kvolk, I recall seeing you post about your dwarf variety a while back. Any new pics of interest, or not much happening yet?
I have one growing in my new yard with a two inch or so thick branch stretching out over the drive that will need removed. I was thinking of attempting an air layer for the sake of not wasting it. Thoughts on how I should expect it to work out if done correctly? Could I try now, or better to wait until spring?
I was going to try air layering a branch of Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus montanus var. argenteus) this spring. Before I do I was wondering if you had done yours yet and if you have any suggestions.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was going to try air layering a branch of Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus montanus var. argenteus) this spring. Before I do I was wondering if you had done yours yet and if you have any suggestions.
Unfortunately, I've not gotten around to any of the air layers I'd planned this spring yet. Just too much going on.
Doesn't help that my wife doesn't have the same appreciation for them I do, and keeps chopping at them. Oi!

Your montanus is the alder leaf variety that's generally found around my area too. What struck me about the one I had planned is it's the curl leaf mountain mahogany, the ledifolius. They don't often occur east of the continental divide, making it quite a find.

If you can add your location and/or USDA growing zone on your profile, we'll be able to swap notes easier.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!
Hope you enjoy it even half as much as I do.

Kvolk

Seedling
Reaction score
No and I actually lost it over the winter. It spent the winter in an in heated but adjoining garage. It was still in the soil from the nursery and I think it just stayed too wet.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I noticed the big tree in my yard never lost it's green over winter.
Maybe treat it a bit like pines for winter? Dormant, but still needs plenty of sun?

Top Bottom