Mountain Maple Lacking Interest?

BillyBons(ai)

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After some support from your juicey bonsai brains!

I have this maple in training which I’ve always thought is a little boring - any thoughts/recommendations on how to add interest?

The tree is still young, about 7 y/o so still relatively blank canvas but seems a little too straight.

972CC2D7-20BD-4E69-94D6-0EABFD71BD58.jpeg

Thank you

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It may be too late to bend this puppy, but you could try.. Wrap first so the wire doesn't scrape the bark too much, make sure to anchor the wire all the way down into that pot. If it is too stiff to bend, then you'll have to grow and chop to get something other than a straight stick. Good Luck with it! :)

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like there are some lower nodes. You can eventually cut back to those to force a change in direction lower on the tree.

D

Deleted member 32750

The bottom of the tree is pretty straight and boring, but you have some interesting lines in the top of this tree. I would do an airlayer and start over with the top. It should airlayer fairly easily since it is a normal Japanese maple.
17A5D305-B3C9-47B1-A1EC-841331DBC8FB.jpeg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's definitely possible, but I would probably not try to bend this tree unless you've had some experience bending larger branches and using raffia and the like. Dollars to donuts you will snap it before getting any real movement.

The only other way to get movement in the lower trunk is to prune it. I would get the tree replanted on an angle and prune at the red line in Adam D's post (whether you choose to take the layer is your call). Make a decision on how tall you want the tree to be and what ratio you will use on the height of the tree to width of base of trunk. This will help set a gameplan.

For example, you could plant the tree on a left leaning angle, prune at the red line and wire that branch in the direction you want the new leader to grow. Now comes the hard part - patience. The tree will need to just grow for a few years. If you want a 12" tree, and will use a 1:6 ratio, you will need something closer to 2" inches at the base - your tree will need some time to grow freely to get there.

The first step should be a repot at the correct time to get the tree into better draining soil and to set the nebari growing radially. You should never underestimate the impact of nebari on the tree. A powerful base will provide the foundation for your taper and movement.

D

Deleted member 32750

The first step should be a repot at the correct time to get the tree into better draining soil and to set the nebari growing radially. You should never underestimate the impact of nebari on the tree. A powerful base will provide the foundation for your taper and movement.
This is true. My suggestion is based on what information is available in the image. You may have a killer nebari under there. The first step is assessing the roots.

BillyBons(ai)

Seedling
Reaction score
Many thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I’ve never tried an air layer so I’m excited by that.
Having dug it out of the ground recently I can confirm there isn’t much in the way of nebari down there so I won’t be losing much but getting rid of that.

Thanks once again, you’re all wonderful!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Many thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I’ve never tried an air layer so I’m excited by that.
Having dug it out of the ground recently I can confirm there isn’t much in the way of nebari down there so I won’t be losing much but getting rid of that.

Thanks once again, you’re all wonderful!
If you airlayer you might get some of the nodes below the layer to pop too. Giving you two trees.

I did this last summer. I had a nice node about an inch above the nebari as well as a nice junction further up the tree. I airlayered below the junction to make one tree and got good sprouts on the low node.

BillyBons(ai)

Seedling
Reaction score
Evening all,

I took the advice and opportunity to learn how to air layer and today made the split!
A lot of roots on the “daughter” and quite pleased with the shape left behind on the “parent”
As I say, my first time air layering so ended up having the make the cut closer to the branch than I would like but let’s see what happens!

IMG_0575.jpegIMG_0574.jpeg

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
This is an incredible start! Make sure to give us an update!

Top Bottom