Mountain maple?

Topfbaum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
A few years back I collected 1-year old mountain maples (Alps, Europe). They have been growing large leaves first (about palm size), but in the last two years I somehow managed to get small (1inch) leaves on 2 of my 6 trees. Unfortunately, I have not yet figured out the Exact reasons. Does anyone have experience with those? Most posts seem to suggest not using this kind because of leaf size... Still, the aged mature trees in nature are very beautiful (see pictures from where I found them).

Attachments

• 31CE004E-86B3-49FF-8A31-0AAFA55CAFEF.jpeg
    31CE004E-86B3-49FF-8A31-0AAFA55CAFEF.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 88
  • F953B228-2AED-49A9-B314-E52DE220E03F.jpeg
    F953B228-2AED-49A9-B314-E52DE220E03F.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 110

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the ramification on them like?

Nice Cow! I wanna move there!

Sorce

Topfbaum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
I am working on it, still learning. One tree has recently been air layered and is still planted in moss.

Attachments

• 60FB51CA-092E-45EA-9880-9114C455AB94.jpeg
    60FB51CA-092E-45EA-9880-9114C455AB94.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 4475992D-0F7F-4E89-B38A-75169DC0D0B4.jpeg
    4475992D-0F7F-4E89-B38A-75169DC0D0B4.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 7D8FA0EB-32C6-48B6-B323-595733B5C170.jpeg
    7D8FA0EB-32C6-48B6-B323-595733B5C170.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 81

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What do you call "mountain maples" ?

It's hard to identify without a closer look at least at mature leaves. There are so many species, what are those where you live ? "Norway maple" (Acer platanoides ) ? Other ? From the distance, it could well be what people in other places call a "field maple", Acer campestre - because they don't live in the mountains. I think in the US, they call it "hedge maple".

That's why I like when people give the scientific name of a tree.

Topfbaum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Sorry for being sloppy. I think it is acer pseudoplatanus (its german name translates to mountain maple), not the field maple (acer campestre). I do not have a picture of the original leaves, but they were like the picture.

Attachments

• Bergahorn.png
    Bergahorn.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 64

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Among all maples, Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) is one of the less suitable species for bonsai.

"Norway maple" is a bit better, but not so easy for a beginner.

There are very good bonsai amateurs in Switzerland. You should try and find a local forum to help you if you want to take the path of bonsai growing ;)

From your user name, TopfBaum, I guess you're a German speaker : there are several German-speaking resources, forums and the like that will help you. Of course, that doesn't mean you are not welcome here, but "try local" first...

Topfbaum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Thanks for your input. More recently I started a few other species (quince, euonymus, oak, beech) that hopefully will be easier to handle for bonsai. Still, I was surprised about the small leaves, so I will check again next spring if this continues. Otherwise I may plant the Acers back into the forrest ...

Topfbaum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
From your user name, TopfBaum, I guess you're a German speaker : there are several German-speaking resources, forums and the like that will help you. Of course, that doesn't mean you are not welcome here, but "try local" first...
Yes, I am in the german-speaking part, will check for a local forum. But I really like this site, you can learn so much from just reading the different posts and opinions. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I really like this site, you can learn so much from just reading the different posts and opinions.

So do I.

Yet, I think the best advice you, can get on a local tree is from local people.

Which doesn't mean that others, in similar or somewhat comparable environments can't add their pinch of salt, I do it all the tme 🤤 .

But I believe the best way to grow great bonsai is to work with local species : I leave the Ficus for those who live in (sub)tropical climates. I wouldn't grow any plant under artificial light.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But I believe the best way to grow great bonsai is to work with local species : I leave the Ficus for those who live in (sub)tropical climates. I wouldn't grow any plant under artificial light.
:)
👍
Yet.. Some people do succesfully grow species outside of their range. :)

In the end, it is all about "How much do you want to invest in getting things right". I for one have a very bright living room where I with minimal additional work am able to grow many tropicals over winter. In summer they are outside.

So.. Decide what you want to grow, and what each species needs. I think a lot of experiences around the globe are transferable, as long as you translate them into something absolute, like, minimum temperature needed, or fysiology based: Repot once the buds are opening and risk of direct frost is gone. Do not go my time of year and for risky operations, listen to local advice rather than remote.

In the end, bonsai is mostly "keeping trees healthy in pots". It is not hard. Ehm. OK, it can be hard if you grow species not local to you.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yet.. Some people do succesfully grow species outside of their range.

Yes, some do "succesfully grow species outside of their range". More or less...

Except that they can't compare with their counterparts.

I don't think that Robert Steven can have such a beautiful Japanes maple as, say William Vallavanis or Walter Pall. And neither of them will ever have a Premna as beautiful as Robert Steven's.

Topfbaum

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
So I guess you would regard beech and oak as much more suitable for my climate (are very local but also slow) - what is your take on spindle tree (euonymus alatus ‘compactus’)?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am similar climate, a little warmer. Spindle is hard as anything here.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find that all maple species I have toyed with reduce leaf sizes dramatically if kept small. I've noted that a. rubrum, a. platanaoides, a. circinatum, a. pseudoplatinus, a. macrophyllum, and to some extent Japanese maples tend to produce smaller leaves near ground level than at the top of the tree. So I presume that all acers will behave similarly. It seems that how much tree is above those low leaves does not matter. In other words, it does not seem to be because of auxin suppression. The leaves 1 cm above ground will be pretty much the same miniature size regardless of whether there is another 10 meters of tree above or not.

Certainly Japanese maples (palmatum, shirasawanum) and Norway maple also tend to produce smaller leaves in bonsai culture = root-bound conditions. The taller the specimen's trunk, the larger the first flush apical leaves tend to be, but the second flush apical leaves come in line with the sizes below after defoliation. Just as I believe all maples will do this to some degree, I do not have larger sized specimens of other species to testify that they indeed do.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would not recommend beeches, they are just that.

Top Bottom