MOUNTAIN MAPLE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Or another way to refer to Acer palmatum. In contrast to many of my other trees, this maple has a subtle and quiet presence. It was purchased a few years back from The Bonsai Learning Center. Originally a Japanese import that spent two years in quarantine at Brussel's Bonsai. It features an excellent 360 nebari, mature bark and great taper all the way thru to the top with no major scars.

This is a delicate tree that requires careful attention. If not looked after on a timely basis and techniques (pinching, leaf cutting, etc) performed at the right times, it will loose its delicacy almost overnight giving way to thicker and coarse branch terminals and rapid loss of taper.

Overall aiming at a more ramified canopy but still keeping its airy and feminine qualities. 21" tall from edge of pot, planted in a first generation Yamaaki container.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautiful tree and Happy Thanksgiving to you Serg! Just out of curiosity...How many trees are in your collection ?

Thank you and happy Thanksgiving to you as well! I'd say roughly 40-50 trees in my main display area and probably another 50 or so between my grow-out and a small "back stage" area I have on the other side of the house. Those are mostly all pre-bonsai and even pre-pre-bonsai!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh my goodness!!!

Although it APPEARS simple... it most definitely is not, in my opinion. (Zoom waaay in.. then slowly out. 🤣)

The scale is quite unique, and tremendously well executed.... very elegant, as others have said, but also SO damn deliberately graceful. (Like a nice, Fine charcoal drawing)

The upkeep work in that “deliberate grace” arena is worthy of massive amounts of respect.

🤓

EDIT/Later observation.

The “unique scale” I had mentioned earlier is necessary, I feel, to compliment and harmonize with the extremely efficiently-matured radial aspects of that nebari.

Crisp...

Real Crisp, Sergio.

🤓

Last edited:

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
You mentioned no major scars. Are there scars at the directional changes of main trunk?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's a great tree, I like it a lot. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Someone would perhaps...

But I'm just no one, and that tree is just great the way it is. :cool:

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
You mentioned no major scars. Are there scars at the directional changes of main trunk?
@Canada Bonsai commented on this recently. “Scar less” doesn’t mean there aren’t healed scars, usually just no open wounds that still need healing. Every high end maple will have had scars at one point, even those in the Kokufu. They just don’t have any gaping holes in them.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@Canada Bonsai commented on this recently. “Scar less” doesn’t mean there aren’t healed scars, usually just no open wounds that still need healing. Every high end maple will have had scars at one point, even those in the Kokufu. They just don’t have any gaping holes in them.

Yes! In bonsai, people often use the 'scar' as if it meant something totally different from how the entire English-speaking world uses the term, and what they actually mean is 'wound', 'lesion', or 'unhealed pruning sites'. But I think @Firstflush actually used the term perfectly here; Sergio's tree is full of scars but has no major scars, just like the highest level Kokufu maples! The idea of a maple without scars, or a 'scarless maple', is often thrown about but is totally ludicrous.

Beautiful tree @MACH5 and the pot is perfect! This is going to be a classic, I can't wait to see it in 10 years! But I don't know how I will ever catch up, you keep pulling these out of nowhere!🤣

I was curious what your game plan is for this one! Any major work? Additional trunks? Ebihara apex relocation? What will you surprise us with? 🙂

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes! In bonsai, people often use the 'scar' as if it meant something totally different from how the entire English-speaking world uses the term, and what they actually mean is 'wound', 'lesion', or 'unhealed pruning sites'. But I think @Firstflush actually used the term perfectly here; Sergio's tree is full of scars but has no major scars, just like the highest level Kokufu maples! The idea of a maple without scars, or a 'scarless maple', is often thrown about but is totally ludicrous.

Beautiful tree @MACH5 and the pot is perfect! This is going to be a classic, I can't wait to see it in 10 years! But I don't know how I will ever catch up, you keep pulling these out of nowhere!🤣

I was curious what your game plan is for this one! Any major work? Additional trunks? Ebihara apex relocation? What will you surprise us with? 🙂

Thanks Derek! LOL no, nothing of the kind! 😅Will keep developing this tree as such I think. I like it the way it is and no reason to put my clumsy paws all over it. So I don't think any "surprises" on this one. The main challenge is to preserve its delicate qualities. Kind of challenging specially if you look away for a moment! :eek:🤣

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Yep, isn't that the truth. I also think part of it is knowing how to heal wounds well. Making cuts is an intrinsic part of the art of bonsai.

Top Bottom