Mountain Meadows Nursery - why are you not visiting yet?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes, I am loading up on JWP. Spent a lot of time talking JWP cultivars, grafting and understock selection. He uses a fair amount of Pinus strobiformis, which he was calling "western white pine" but in California we knew as "Mexican white pine" since it does not grow on the west coast - only in central Mexico and a few patches in the Arizona and New Mexico mountains. Regardless, it is a very close match from a bark perspective and the grafts were fairly indistinguishable even on young stock.

The other itch that I am scratching is Japanese maple. You can barely keep them alive in Southern California - and they almost require total shade, shade cloth wind protection, and softened water. Even then you rarely get fall color - the leaves crisp and die rather than slowly fade. The fact that JM thrive in landscape here is awesome!

I am going to have to figure out a protection plan for my tropicals and Mediterranean species though...

It is hard to meet people in the SE bonsai scene in the middle of a pandemic. I am used to going to shows and exhibitions and hanging out with bonsai folks. It is tough meeting people on a one-by-one basis out here. I'm ready for this pandemic to end! FWIW the entire time I was at the nursery both Mike and I were masked up.

I am a bit confused here. The "Western White Pine", (Pinus monticola), is the State tree of Idaho that is a 5 needle pine and grows in my area and I have collected several. They typically have pretty long needles and I don't have a clue how they work for bonsai, but their bark looks good. Pinus strobiformis is more commonly called the Southwestern White Pine.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am a bit confused here. The "Western White Pine", (Pinus monticola), is the State tree of Idaho that is a 5 needle pine and grows in my area and I have collected several. They typically have pretty long needles and I don't have a clue how they work for bonsai, but their bark looks good. Pinus strobiformis is more commonly called the Southwestern White Pine.

Yes common names can be confusing. I remember at one point researching all five needle pines that were native to the west/southwest region because I wanted to find a native five needle pine I could keep in SoCal. Suffice it to say I could not find one that didn't require more cold than what I was able to provide. I had a couple P. aristata that broke my heart. First year they were super strong... next year they were weaker... and then they just started to die back until they kicked the bucket. I gave them as much care and attention as I could... but I couldn't provide the cold.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes common names can be confusing. I remember at one point researching all five needle pines that were native to the west/southwest region because I wanted to find a native five needle pine I could keep in SoCal. Suffice it to say I could not find one that didn't require more cold than what I was able to provide. I had a couple P. aristata that broke my heart. First year they were super strong... next year they were weaker... and then they just started to die back until they kicked the bucket. I gave them as much care and attention as I could... but I couldn't provide the cold.

Did you try a refer? I've heard that works well!

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
LOL no... although there was a rumored greenhouse up by Big Bear (in the mountains) where you could supposedly overwinter cold hardy trees. I heard about it via bonsai folks, but could never confirm.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm going to get a Bristlecone next year. They look and sound cool!

That's all I need is another tree!

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is awesome! I'll be up that way in early november. Will definitely check it out!

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We went by there yesterday with my bonsai club, we had a group of 10 people and were all masked up. The nursery had a lot of good deals, most trees were under $100, but there were also some more and they were exceptional. He had a good amount of trees that were for bonsai people that had good nebaris and great movement. I wasn't going to get a tree but ended up going with a mugo pine
20201019_121235_HDR(1).jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks really awesome. Unfortunately its a bit far for a visit for me.

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great nursery! I had a chance to visit Michael this past Friday. He was very accommodating and has a great selection. I was out in the area on my honeymoon, and my wonderful wife made a point to head out there while we were in the area. Picked up a hardy banana tree for her and a selection of really interesting hardy orange trees and micro boxwoods for myself. I had never seen a deciduous citrus tree before and Michael told me all about them...super interesting.. Certainly worth the visit!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Great nursery! I had a chance to visit Michael this past Friday. He was very accommodating and has a great selection. I was out in the area on my honeymoon, and my wonderful wife made a point to head out there while we were in the area. Picked up a hardy banana tree for her and a selection of really interesting hardy orange trees and micro boxwoods for myself. I had never seen a deciduous citrus tree before and Michael told me all about them...super interesting.. Certainly worth the visit!
Congrats on your marriage! I keep a couple of citrus trees inside for the winter, didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous citrus tree. I'm only 30 or so miles from St. Louis.

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Congrats on your marriage! I keep a couple of citrus trees inside for the winter, didn't know there was such a thing as a deciduous citrus tree. I'mIMG_20201018_083550.jpgIMG_20201018_083539.jpg only 30 or so miles from St. Louis.
Thanks! I didn't either.. but the fall color on these is incredible and they do flower and fruit! Poncirus trifoliata. I'll attached pictures of the two I got.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like Poncirus trifoliata, it should be hardy in the ground in the Saint Louis area, in a pot it would need only a little protection.

Sadly the fruit of Poncirus is not really edible. It's juice might be used as an 'ade, like lemonade, but has a bitterness to it that lemons do not have. Lemons are tart, but not bitter. Imagine the bitterness of grapefruit rind, amplified many times. Hybrids with Poncirus are often called "ichang" citrus, and these the juice does make acceptable drinks. Still the fruit is not really edible. Hybrids that are only one quarter Poncirus do have fruit that is edible.

But the flowers have all the charm and fragrance of a lemon tree.

micahmcgrath

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like Poncirus trifoliata, it should be hardy in the ground in the Saint Louis area, in a pot it would need only a little protection.

Sadly the fruit of Poncirus is not really edible. It's juice might be used as an 'ade, like lemonade, but has a bitterness to it that lemons do not have. Lemons are tart, but not bitter. Imagine the bitterness of grapefruit rind, amplified many times. Hybrids with Poncirus are often called "ichang" citrus, and these the juice does make acceptable drinks. Still the fruit is not really edible. Hybrids that are only one quarter Poncirus do have fruit that is edible.

But the flowers have all the charm and fragrance of a lemon tree.
Very interesting, thanks! I have a little cold-house that I'll keep them in and I'm sure they'll be okay. Michael at the nursery mentioned using the skin for teas and seasonings, but we'll see how much fruit I get, if any. "Flying dragon" seems like a gnarly cultivar to work with too. No need for wire besides here and there. A bonus, as the thorns are pretty gruesome. I think it will be an oddity in the garden with some welcome seasonal accessories

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We went by there yesterday with my bonsai club, we had a group of 10 people and were all masked up. The nursery had a lot of good deals, most trees were under $100, but there were also some more and they were exceptional. He had a good amount of trees that were for bonsai people that had good nebaris and great movement. I wasn't going to get a tree but ended up going with a mugo pine
Did you mention that you knew me and ask for the "bonsainut 10% discount"? :)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hardy banana? Do they not all die to the ground after frost?

Top Bottom