"Mountain Slope Potting"?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone know how one might pot a tree in such a way that it invokes the image of a tree actually growing on a mountain slope? - and I mean, with the soil actually being "sloped" and the and surface roots being slanted along the line of that slope... I imagine this might be easier with a more organic soil, but I'm interested in figuring out how one might do this with non-organic soil, particularly something like diatomite/diatomaceous earth, which seems to me would slowly "trickle" down the slope until the slope was no more and the tree's "uphill" roots were exposed.. just a random question..

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose root-over-rock would be the easiest way to accomplish this, huh?

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Masahiko Kimura has created several Masterpiece Bonsai with a slope orientation. I believe he wired plastic window screen over Bonsai soil and followed with muck and moss.

Mark

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. That's the kind of stuff I was pondering in my mind and hoping I'd hear more about. Thanks Mark.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Brian. Youtube is one of the most difficult things for me to access here in China, but is this instructional basically the same as the Bjorn video?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well.. cool. this is giving me some ideas to work with. Thanks for all the ideas so far, everyone!

Top Bottom