Moved some little junipers into FULL SUN !

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now when I say "full sun" I mean "Surface of Mercury" full sun. Jeezo! 100+ days all this summer.
No respite from the blast.

I did it in a "Take that you little bastards" mood. :mad:

They were dropping entire dried up limbs, turning yellow, brown, dead. No pix of the "before" but if you've seen "Juniper Problem" in the forum, you know what they looked like.

So what happened?
Damn! They ...perked up. 😊

Stupid plants! 🤪

Little junipers.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When other posters told you Junipers like FULL SUN, they really did mean Junipers like FULL SUN.

Majority of pines also like FULL SUN. Well, most 2 needle, 3 needle, & 4 needle pines love FULL SUN. Mountain pines, the 5 needle pines, some do and some don't, a lot depending on temperature. The mountain pines will take FULL SUN when temperatures are relatively cool, they may, or may not tolerate 100+ F temperatures. (40+ C).

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When other posters told you Junipers like FULL SUN, they really did mean Junipers like FULL SUN.

Majority of pines also like FULL SUN. Well, most 2 needle, 3 needle, & 4 needle pines love FULL SUN. Mountain pines, the 5 needle pines, some do and some don't, a lot depending on temperature. The mountain pines will take FULL SUN when temperatures are relatively cool, they may, or may not tolerate 100+ F temperatures. (40+ C).

Some of my FULL DAMN SUN pines are putting on candles. One especially vigorous JBP has ones that are going nuts.
Ole SCOTS gets full sun .....but only til 3 PM. I don't trust a nordic pine to love central valley SCORCHING heat. :confused:

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, looks like I'll have to move my juniper to FULL SUN too :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be sure they get enough to drink. It changes rapidly when they hit the sun.

But note the drying of the root mass from the outside in.....

Just wait till fall when the rootball starts drying from the inside out because they are actually using the water, and watering/usage doubles.

Mike, it's bloody nice to see you have Success!

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
But note the drying of the root mass from the outside in.....

Just wait till fall when the rootball starts drying from the inside out because they are actually using the water, and watering/usage doubles.

Mike, it's bloody nice to see you have Success!

Sorce

Actually, I do have more success than failure. It's just my perverse nature to retain negative shit way too long.
Most of my trees are happy.
The ungrateful ones that sulk just piss me off.

And....get the ink. 😁

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Mine are all in FULL SUN here in São Paulo, from winter to summer and back to winter.
JBP and JRP and Itoigawa junipers. They like it in the tropics.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had some that were full sun for 3-4 hours that never seemed to thrive the way they should. Two years ago I moved them to a spot where they got 5 hours. This year I cut down a tree that blocked the sun in the afternoon. Now they get 8+ hours. They are the happiest they have ever been. One that was "sick" is now showing a lot of strength.

Top Bottom