Moved to a warmer state!

fishbone

Seed
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old elm of an unknown variety and a ginkgo.
These have been grown with great success in Nebraska which is USDA Zone 5a.
I am now moving to Texas in an area designated as being Zone 8a by the USDA.
So the big question is, what do I do with these trees, migrating them from solid winters to a state that barely has a winter worth mentioning?
They've been over wintered outside every season.
They've essentially been kept at temps under 30 and sometimes in the teens for weeks at a time.
Am I looking at purchasing a small freezer and sticking them in there for 2-3 months at a time?
What would you do?

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The big factor is what variety you have. I am at 8b and we have tons of elm here and ginkgo...none needed special winter treatment.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
As an Iowan who relocated to AL..zone 4B to 7B, with ginkgoes and Chinese elms, you'll be ok without the freezer. Get to know the watering needs of summer, enjoy not hauling things in and out, and eventually, your collection will include what grows best in your new area. Congrats.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What kind of elm?

What part of Texas?

Scott

fishbone

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I really wish that I knew what variety of elm it is, I will try to find out.
As for Texas, I'll be in the Dallas area so I guess in the colder part of the state.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You'll be fine. Summer shade will be necessary for a few years, and 2X per day watering.

Moving in the other direction is MUCH worse.

fishbone

Seed
Reaction score
Thank god for that then, I don't think my wife would have tolerated the fridge idea :)

The one tree I forgot to mention is a juniper stock.
Picked it up at Lowes and its still in a nursery pot.
I'm assuming that one will be ok too.

In still very new at this stuff but I seem to have a knack for greenery I guess.

Top Bottom