movement in a Virginia Pine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just checking to see if these pics got lost (and they were so I restored as many as I could find).

I spoke to someone much more knowledgable than I, and I was categorically implored not to notch this tree for fear of the scarring that surely will result. I'm not necessarily swayed but what are your thoughts with regard to scarring as a result of notching?

New buds are popping on this thing ...and have been for about 3 weeks. I'd rather it not spend the energy but I don't guess I'll stop it right now. The growth might have enough time to harden off before it gets too cold. Its color is readily improving as well.

I am not sure about virginiana, but JBP does not scar with this technique if it is done properly.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update

Since I started a thread here, I figured I might as well update it:

I left this tree in traction (see previous pics) from about August 'til early March. I had been worried that the coach wrap would pull the flaky and furrowed bark off this trunk but I was fortunate to only lose one flake, though I used EXTREME caution when unwinding it.

The tree had begun to show signs of soil compaction (along with being in a mix that was much too dense), so this year I repotted it. Its in the same pot but in a MUCH improved mix (pine bark, turface, lava, pumice, and gravel/sand) which should really speed development.

I had to remove several large roots, and some roots that looked like they were dead (probably due to the poor soil conditions alluded to earlier). I opted not to wire the tree in by its roots, but rather to anchor it from the top, ...as you'll notice along with the bold use of garden hose to protect the trunk.

I still need a little extra movement in the lower portion of the trunk, but there is more there than can be seen in these photos. This year, the tree will mainly rest. I'm going to position it in full sun, water often, and fertilize heavily.

Attachments

• ed_DSC_0039.jpg
    ed_DSC_0039.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 45
  • ed_DSC_0041.jpg
    ed_DSC_0041.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a Virginia Pine that I dug up in February. It was somewhat straight and about 4 ft. tall. I didn't need any rebar to bend it, it bends rather easy. Also no cutting notches in the trunk to get a bend.

I am not saying what I have done is what you need to do but just something to look at to see what can be done. You have a nice crook in the trunk that I didn't have, take advantage of it some way.

Attachments

• Yamadori-Virginia-Pine-11Ma.jpg
    Yamadori-Virginia-Pine-11Ma.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 47

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I didn't need any rebar to bend it, it bends rather easy. Also no cutting notches in the trunk to get a bend.

To be clear, the bends in the tree that you posted are entirely not what I had in mind. These things bend very easily (see my "traction" pictures posted earlier).

I had anticipated the need for much more ANGULAR movement, abrupt even. Right now, I'm just kind of waiting to see how this one develops. You can see from reading through the thread that I've changed my mind already. Now, I have no notion about its future so the notching/rebar may not even come into play.

The health of the tree is my primary concern right now.

Top Bottom