Movement of tree - your views?

Does this tree move to the left or to the right?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
This is a work-in-progress common Hawthorn, Crataegus monogyna. I have a bit of a conflict about the movement of the tree, so I wondered how other people saw it. Based only on what you can see in this picture, would you say the movement of the tree is to the left or to the right? Why?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Movement is to the left. The base goes to the left and the apex as well. First branch is horizontal and the others slightly upright. All these combine to give a left movement IMO.
Nice wild tree BTW. I like it. Maybe just remove/shorten one of the apices?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see it...slightly to the left. Prevailing part of the trunk line moves to the left, the first Left branch is dominant.

Very good topic, I've got many much more conflicting trees, sometimes I'm really finished with the Q: Where the hell should the leader be bent? Watched.

Reaction score
Trunk starts left. So imho it is left. This is accentuated by the first left branch (also left). This is accentuated by the apex (also left). But even if you cut the first left branch and you lower the apex (to be considered) you will still have a movement to the left.
There seems to be a difference in opinion. There are 3 things to consider:
A: base of trunk
B: First "key branch"
C: apex

some say look at all three, the direction is where 2 or more (A,B,C) grow to. Others say look at A, that's the direction. I'm not experienced enough in displays to have the answer.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I think it is neither. It certainly moves to the left, and also, to the right. The biggest curve is to the left, but several more subtle ones get it back to the right. If you draw a line from the to split (either one) all the way to the bottom, the apex is centered almost, if not directly above the roots. The tree, as a whole, is mostly upright. It has a very pleasing trunk.

Just my two cents.

John

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with John.

Add...

Leaves can change it.

I think of you want it to be more directional one way....
Let the sun hit it mostly from that side next year.

Friggin nice BTW!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Left, but if you feel ambivalent about it, you could angle it slightly more that direction so you can see it better. I like this tree a lot.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My novice eye just sees a very balanced tree. if the left branch was clipped back a bit it'd be even more so. to my eye it wouldnt look any better tilted to the left, because apart from the base, the rest of the tree seems quite upright. Micheal's virt actually looks like a better overall image.

Tom i think you should add another option for 'neither'

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My novice eye just sees a very balanced tree. if the left branch was clipped back a bit it'd be even more so. to my eye it wouldnt look any better tilted to the left, because apart from the base, the rest of the tree seems quite upright. Micheal's virt actually looks like a better overall image.
I agree, I would not change it either...

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments so far.

Just to clarify my own view a little, technically the movement of the tree should be to the left (cf. Michael and Dirk's analyses). However there is something about it - the curve of the trunk I think - that drags my eye to the right and creates a bit of tension. It may just be the angle I normally see it at on my bench, but I wondered how others viewed it.

MichaelS - thanks for the suggestion I will look at that seriously. Likewise Judy, changing the angle very slightly - I've been thinking of tweaking that at the next repot.

However I should say this tree is some way off the eventual 'finished' image. I expect to develop the branching considerably, so I am more inclined to add (grow out) rather than subtract at the moment.

I anticipate growing the branching 'up and out', with a focus on the left side of the tree (and a twisty, tangled 'rising' feel). I'm just a little uneasy about pushing it to the left if the tree 'wants' to go to the right in terms of its underlying movement. I think the trunk will always dominate the branching on this one. Based on the feedback so far, most people see it going left more than right - which reassures me somewhat.

Last edited:

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a really nice piece of material regardless. Is that hollow carved or natural on the left side below the first branch?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It's from a big cut made a long time ago (before I got it). The hollow isn't deep, but has a thick callus round it. There are some more further up the trunk. They are 'there' but don't dominate the image.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
"
TomB, post: 409854, member: 19459"]
MichaelS - thanks for the suggestion I will look at that seriously. Likewise Judy, changing the angle very slightly - I've been thinking of tweaking that at the next repot.

Please realize I'm not suggesting that you should direct the movement to the left, I just made the note that by removing that little right looking tip would do that.
You could just as easily reverse it with this tree because the movement is quite subtle.

barehaw.JPG

barehaw.JPG

Last edited:

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
"

Please realize I'm not suggesting that you should direct the movement to the left, I just made the note that by removing that little right looking tip would do that.
You could just as easily reverse it with this tree because the movement is quite subtle.

View attachment 126011

That's a very interesting image. The base and first branch still say the movement 'should' be to the left, but the changes you've made now make it clearly flow to the right (to me at least). So much for rules! I might have to give that some thought as a styling option.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basketball analogy applied to trees FWIW...always look at the midpoint of the opposing player to determine where they are moving...so I would be in the neutral movement camp.

Top Bottom