Moving and need advice

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I live in south Ga and I planted some shimpakus in the ground earlier this spring. I am moving Saturday to North Alabama. Should I dig them up now and take a chance or hope the new home owner will let me dig them up in the spring.?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they were planted in the ground when the house was shown to the buyer and the contract for sale of the home doesn’t specifically state otherwise, they probably belong to whoever bought the home. You can ask your real estate agent and they’d know the specifics of Georgia law. My guess is that they’re considered part of the landscaping of the home and were sold when the home was sold, despite that not being your intention.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in south Ga and I planted some shimpakus in the ground earlier this spring. I am moving Saturday to North Alabama. Should I dig them up now and take a chance or hope the new home owner will let me dig them up in the spring.?
If your question relates only to the risk of digging up and transporting at this time of year, I would feel safe doing so. Dig them with the intent to pot large enough that root work is minimal. Bag them tightly and replant on arrival. Keep from drying out if some time passes before replanting. In other words tree them like a fall collection. You should be fine, if the trees recovered nicely after being planted last spring. I am assuming they are younger plants. The degree of concern goes up for older plants that lost a lot of roots when planted in the spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to dig a couple D's out at the Beaver Moon of 2019, it snowed the next day, the one I expected to live lived, the other didn't.

Do it.

Sorce

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Yes they are young. Was going to plant them back in the ground hopefully but may need to pot them up.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If they were planted in the ground when the house was shown to the buyer and the contract for sale of the home doesn’t specifically state otherwise, they probably belong to whoever bought the home. You can ask your real estate agent and they’d know the specifics of Georgia law. My guess is that they’re considered part of the landscaping of the home and were sold when the home was sold, despite that not being your intention.
Where do you get your bs info. It’s the sellers possession, he can take them as he pleases.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where do you get your bs info. It’s the sellers possession, he can take them as he pleases.
???
You need to sell some houses :) If something is physically attached to the property - including landscaping - it is considered part of the sale. That includes hose reels (if attached to the house), but not hoses. Light fixtures, but not light bulbs. Drapery hardware, but not drapes. Window blinds. Carpeting, but not carpets. Even spice racks in the kitchen if they are attached to a cabinet.

If you sell your house, and the day before close you start digging up the landscaping, you're asking for trouble. If the same happened to me, at the bare minimum at close I'd be asking you to pay to have the landscaping that you removed replaced, professionally, else you might be headed for a lawsuit... and you'd lose unless you could show written proof that you had carved out those bushes as a condition of sale.

Of course, most people are reasonable, and if what you remove is not of substantial value, they typically won't care. Just don't start digging out the 40 year old junipers to either side of the front door :)

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like how you said "let the new owner dig them up next year"....like its the new owners privilege to do so, 😆.

This happend to me when I moved in 2018....I had an azalea I wanted to keep, but the house was shown with it in the front garden.
So I went to the local garden center and grabbed another one, and did the ol' switcheroo on the last day.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They’re not his possessions anymore because they are part of the property that was sold. At least that is how it is here in Michigan. Maybe things are different in Georgia, but I doubt it. The wise thing to do would be to ask the buyer if they care if you remove the junipers from the landscape. If you just take them without asking and they do mind, you could find yourself in a lawsuit. Better to just ask.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
contract 101 my dude. cant buy the car and go and pick it up with the nice floormats missing (happened to my damn friend, like $100 oem winter matts)

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
???
You need to sell some houses :) If something is physically attached to the property - including landscaping - it is considered part of the sale. That includes hose reels (if attached to the house), but not hoses. Light fixtures, but not light bulbs. Drapery hardware, but not drapes. Window blinds. Carpeting, but not carpets. Even spice racks in the kitchen if they are attached to a cabinet.

If you sell your house, and the day before close you start digging up the landscaping, you're asking for trouble. If the same happened to me, at the bare minimum at close I'd be asking you to pay to have all the landscaping replaced, professionally, else you might be headed for a lawsuit... and you'd lose unless you could specifically show written proof that you had carved out those bushes as a condition of sale.

Of course, most people are reasonable, and if what you remove is not of substantial value, they typically won't care. Just don't start digging out the 40 year old junipers to either side of the front door :)
???

If you sell your house, and the day before close you start digging up the landscaping, you're asking for trouble. If the same happened to me, at the bare minimum at close I'd be asking you to pay to have the landscaping that you removed replaced, professionally, else you might be headed for a lawsuit... and you'd lose unless you could show written proof that you had carved out those bushes as a condition of sale.

Better to plant that stuff in colanders or grow bags then so they can be easily removed…. That’s still some bs… what do you gotta do say , this is going with me?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s still some bs… what do you gotta do say , this is going with me?
Yes you do. I've been to open houses where people specifically state "dining room light fixture coming with me" etc. People don't care as long as they know about it when they make an offer on the house, because they can take it into consideration.

This can also work to your advantage. If you have something you DON'T want to take with you, you can state so. People often sell crappy property "as-is" which often means serious problems and/or trash - perhaps including a house full of old rotting furniture or a back yard filled with rusting cars. In the case of our current house, it meant a bank safe. Not a gun safe - an honest to goodness bank safe that is gigantic and will cost a mint for me to remove when we demo the house. I'm hoping I can list it for free on Craigslist and get someone stupid (and strong enough) to come remove it. Bring a lift-gate truck and five friends!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
👆

Listen to moon man.

🌙

It's "full" right now too!

Oddly though, I peeped the weather in Georgia where we stayed and it was same as here except with a "warning", I think for "cold". Lol

Kid was out regular sick for a week so I had to go have him show his papers and get violated in order to return to school today. Good thing the nurse had her mask below her nose most of the time, I guess this means she is a brilliant mouth breather.

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where do you get your bs info. It’s the sellers possession, he can take them as he pleases
Not true in Canada. The contract is required to list items that are not considered part of the sale!
When I took over a former government building, the safe was part of the stuff left behind! Took me forever to get someone to take it off my hands. Had to change one doorway temporarily to get it out! Fortunately other fixtures left behind were sold to offset the cost of removing the safe. When I sold I specified as is, and stipulated items I was taking with me. Lesson learned.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's "full" right now too!

Oddly though, I peeped the weather in Georgia where we stayed and it was same as here except with a "warning", I think for "cold". Lol

Kid was out regular sick for a week so I had to go have him show his papers and get violated in order to return to school today. Good thing the nurse had her mask below her nose most of the time, I guess this means she is a brilliant mouth breather.

Sorce
I am currently suing my school district over that bullshit. Things are being officially filed today.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is funny how these things work..

In Germany, houses are by default sold without the installed kitchen. In the Netherlands, Including the installed kitchen
In the Netherlands you are expected to remove the floorcovers. In Germany, they leave the floor covers behind.
And of course, in USA you can buy a house without a plot of land, and just move the house to the fitting plot of land!

Top Bottom