Moving country what should I do?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have looked into companies that can ship my trees and found one. But not sure what to do? Should I leave them or take them? What would you do and why?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey everyone. I have looked into companies that can ship my trees and found one. But not sure what to do? Should I leave them or take them? What would you do and why?
I guess it depends on where you're going, and how different that climate is from yours current one.
I wouldn't take my Japanese maples to Siberia, but maybe my spruces!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You never filled out your profile. You don't mention it in the thread. Or the location moving to. So...one can't offer any real advice on what was given. Depending on where your going. Quarantine costs $$$. Typically bare root and treated. (At least to get things from Honduras to the states. It wasn't worth bringing any material back home with me.) But depends on location as to what you will face.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aki,

going from Lafayette, Louisiana to Trinidad/

Phytio [ spelling ? ] sanitary certificate application request [Plant Quaratine Trinidad ] going to
Louisiana Plant Section.

80 plants - bare rooted - and treated for nematodes and then plastic bagged for 2 days.

Plane flight and landed in Trinidad.

Plant Quarantine holds for a week for tests.

Plants returned ------------------- all survived.
No Cost.

93 and 96 UK to Trinidad ---------- repeat above,
50 plants bare rooted.
Some are mallsai about 15 inches tall and wide.

Cost 20 pounds UK inspectores.
All survived.

Hope this helps.
Good Day
Anthony

* Our restrictions are pinus [ harms citrus ]

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would just find more trees where I moved to live--unless of course your trees are worth thousands. Then I'd look into plant/animal importation rules for the country I'm moving to. Those rules vary tremendously from country to country.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It all depends really, I know I can move trees without restrictions(mostly) throughout the EU and even to a few places outside of it. I know that if we ever move to Australia I will basically have to kiss my trees goodbye.
If you are in Oman and going to another gulf state then maybe there are little to no restrictions, I can't say without knowing the destination.

Still how many trees do you have?

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
This is great Anthony! Most appreciwted. I didnt know there were so many thibgs to consider! Not sure where I am going yet. Maybe Oman to middle east somewhere. Maybe Oman to UK :)
Aki,

going from Lafayette, Louisiana to Trinidad/

Phytio [ spelling ? ] sanitary certificate application request [Plant Quaratine Trinidad ] going to
Louisiana Plant Section.

80 plants - bare rooted - and treated for nematodes and then plastic bagged for 2 days.

Plane flight and landed in Trinidad.

Plant Quarantine holds for a week for tests.

Plants returned ------------------- all survived.
No Cost.

93 and 96 UK to Trinidad ---------- repeat above,
50 plants bare rooted.
Some are mallsai about 15 inches tall and wide.

Cost 20 pounds UK inspectores.
All survived.

Hope this helps.
Good Day
Anthony

* Our restrictions are pinus [ harms citrus ]

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
It all depends really, I know I can move trees without restrictions(mostly) throughout the EU and even to a few places outside of it. I know that if we ever move to Australia I will basically have to kiss my trees goodbye.
If you are in Oman and going to another gulf state then maybe there are little to no restrictions, I can't say without knowing the destination.

Still how many trees do you have?
Thanks for the advice. Not that many trees. Only about 6 that I would take :)

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advice. This is great. I am not sure where I'm going yet maybe Oman to middle east somewhere or maybe Oman to UK.

Does anybody have any shipping company recommendations?

Most appreciated :)

Aiki_Joker

Shohin
Reaction score
Three main trees back to UK. :) Taped in boxes with packing polystyrene balls and shipped in 48 hours! Others stayed in Oman, grape vines were hard to leave but went to a great person there.

Top Bottom