Moving from NYC to San Diego, do I leave the deciduous trees behind?

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sometime around March 2020 I'll be moving to San Diego (hardiness zone 9b I believe?) and I have a larch, trident maple, Japanese maple and European olive that I'd love to bring with me if at all possible. I've read about satisfying chill hour requirements on multiple university websites but the literature I've come across largely talks about flowering/fruiting/crops.

From the little literature I've been able to find it looks like the olive is the only one that might fare well in the new climate but would graciously appreciate the input of other members.

Thank you all

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What species is the larch? Japanese larch are most warm tolerant and might do OK in parts of Cal but average min 10C in winter is probably a bit warm even for that species.
Tridents should do OK over there but you may not get the same fall colour you are used to seeing.
JM could be borderline. I know growers who keep them in sub tropical Brisbane which seems to have similar temps to Sandiego. JM can be grown there but never really thrive like they do in cooler areas.
I've seen a lot of misinformation about chill requirements. We grow many species in relatively warm climate over here that some of your growers are saying is impossible.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where in San Diego? Near the coast it's pretty moderate. Everything except the larch will do OK. J maple leaves might get crispy earlier than you'd like. A few miles inland and you're in near dessert conditions. The olive will love it. The trident will be fine with some TLC but the J maple will not do well. Also consider the quality of the water. If I'm not mistaken the municipal water for the area gets the dregs of the Colorado river at that point after passing through countless farms and cities. Really terrible water. Most people drink bottled water. You might consider a filtration system.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even if they do survive, you'll watch the new stuff thrive in its own weather and the old stuff will lose its value to you.

Best leave em in the snow!

Sorce

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where in San Diego? Near the coast it's pretty moderate. Everything except the larch will do OK. J maple leaves might get crispy earlier than you'd like. A few miles inland and you're in near dessert conditions. The olive will love it. The trident will be fine with some TLC but the J maple will not do well. Also consider the quality of the water. If I'm not mistaken the municipal water for the area gets the dregs of the Colorado river at that point after passing through countless farms and cities. Really terrible water. Most people drink bottled water. You might consider a filtration system.
I agree. To avoid the maple's leaf burn in the summer, someone use vinegar diluted into the tap water with good result.
Thụ Thoại

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am in San Diego near La Mesa. My zone is 10a. I have some trident maples and 1 Japanese maple. The Japanese maple definitely will need a lot of shade. The tridents seem fine.
I find that some of my trees don’t really want to go dormant. I am experimenting with putting some trees on my north facing side of the house for at least the “winter”. Seems to be working and I hope for healthier trees in the spring.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What species is the larch? Japanese larch are most warm tolerant and might do OK in parts of Cal but average min 10C in winter is probably a bit warm even for that species.
Tridents should do OK over there but you may not get the same fall colour you are used to seeing.
JM could be borderline. I know growers who keep them in sub tropical Brisbane which seems to have similar temps to Sandiego. JM can be grown there but never really thrive like they do in cooler areas.
I've seen a lot of misinformation about chill requirements. We grow many species in relatively warm climate over here that some of your growers are saying is impossible.

I genuinely don't know, the nursery where I bought it from couldn't ID it for me:

20190803_162500.jpg

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I'm interviewing for 2 positions, one is in La Jolla and no clue where the other is going to be housed yet. I'm not really too particular on where I land but either way it looks like the larch won't be joining me :/

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Even if they do survive, you'll watch the new stuff thrive in its own weather and the old stuff will lose its value to you.

Best leave em in the snow!

Sorce

Oh absolutely, I'm beyond thrilled at such an extended growing season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
CA has very strict agricultural regulations. How do you plan to transport the trees?

Just brainstorming here but you may want to ask a local NY bonsai nursery that ships nationally (and in particular, to CA) help accommodate you with the necessary phytosanitary certificate. This likely means bare-rooting the trees, and maintaining them at the NY nursery for a couple of years (I can't imagine the nursery cutting corners that may invalidate their license). Alternatively, some CA bonsai nurseries may have some pointers & recommendations too.

Good luck to you!

Respectfully,
Rick

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
CA has very strict agricultural regulations. How do you plan to transport the trees?

Just brainstorming here but you may want to ask a local NY bonsai nursery that ships nationally (and in particular, to CA) help accommodate you with the necessary phytosanitary certificate. This likely means bare-rooting the trees, and maintaining them at the NY nursery for a couple of years (I can't imagine the nursery cutting corners that may invalidate their license). Alternatively, some CA bonsai nurseries may have some pointers & recommendations too.

Good luck to you!

Respectfully,
Rick

Wow thank you I didn't realize this at all. I had planned to either ship them to myself or have someone ship them to me. I only have about 6 trees that I plan to bring.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm interviewing for 2 positions, one is in La Jolla and no clue where the other is going to be housed yet. I'm not really too particular on where I land but either way it looks like the larch won't be joining me :/
La Jolla will be very mild weather wise. Right on the ocean. FYI likely nothing there less than a million to buy a house or condo.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I live in Laguna Beach (one county north of San Diego County). This is how your maples will look as of Dec. 6. Some color, but not great. Notice the trident that is still green as can be? Sold to me as “Nokoribo” Trident. Still that green today. Most of the Japanese maples are bare now. We just moved back into our house recently, and I will be building a wooden screen to shield the maples in the bonsai section of my yard. Full sun will toast them early.

From about a month ago:274982

I lived in La Jolla during college. Same climate. Elms, Ficus, Olives, Gmelina, Zelkova, etc. all seem to do better than the maples. Still gonna grow them, though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Glad to make you aware ahead of time. Truthfully, the phytosanitary cert preparation may be a time-consuming hassle, but better that then risk confiscation and even possible fines.

La Jolla is a nice area. Not sure if our notorious Santa Ana Winds (Oct/Nov mostly) reach down there. The seasonal Santa Ana winds are hot, dry winds and they can be just brutal on Japanese maples. Often times, what fall color a JM can show is stolen by Santa Ana wind damage. *cry* (>__<)'

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you drive to California, and the trees are in the rear passenger seat, just throw a towel or blanket over them and forget about the Ag Inspection. Chances are 98% that nobody will notice. Key is you only have 6 trees.

If you do want to go the Ag Inspection route - list these as HOUSEPLANTS, don't cloud the issue by calling them bonsai. The regulations for houseplants are looser than for anything the would be grown outdoors or as a commercial crop.

Check State of California Agriculture Department website, look up the regulations for bringing in houseplants. Personal houseplants, not houseplants from a commercial vendor.

The odd box sent USPS or FedEx, or whatever, contents - clothing or household goods. Chances of getting inspected are minimal.

Leave the larch, the rest will do fine.

If you really want to get a Phytosanitary Certificate, every international airport has a APHIS office, part of USDA / Dept of Commerce. You can bring the trees to the airport. Have them inspected and a certificate issued on the spot. There will be a fee. I forget, I haven't done it in years. I remember $50 but that was back in 2006. I was sending orchids to Nepal.

At the time of inspection they should be bare root, washed of any visible soil. You can transport them wrapped in clean, moist long fiber sphagnum moss. Keep them in moss until you get to new home in California, then transplant into locally purchased bonsai soil.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
La Jolla will be very mild weather wise. Right on the ocean. FYI likely nothing there less than a million to buy a house or condo.
Yeah that's what I've seen, might be working there but certainly will have to commute from somewhere more affordable.

Toshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you drive to California, and the trees are in the rear passenger seat, just throw a towel or blanket over them and forget about the Ag Inspection. Chances are 98% that nobody will notice. Key is you only have 6 trees.

If you do want to go the Ag Inspection route - list these as HOUSEPLANTS, don't cloud the issue by calling them bonsai. The regulations for houseplants are looser than for anything the would be grown outdoors or as a commercial crop.

Check State of California Agriculture Department website, look up the regulations for bringing in houseplants. Personal houseplants, not houseplants from a commercial vendor.

The odd box sent USPS or FedEx, or whatever, contents - clothing or household goods. Chances of getting inspected are minimal.

Leave the larch, the rest will do fine.

If you really want to get a Phytosanitary Certificate, every international airport has a APHIS office, part of USDA / Dept of Commerce. You can bring the trees to the airport. Have them inspected and a certificate issued on the spot. There will be a fee. I forget, I haven't done it in years. I remember $50 but that was back in 2006. I was sending orchids to Nepal.

At the time of inspection they should be bare root, washed of any visible soil. You can transport them wrapped in clean, moist long fiber sphagnum moss. Keep them in moss until you get to new home in California, then transplant into locally purchased bonsai soil.

Very unlikely that I'll be driving. I'm probably going to fly there, sell what furniture I have and leave mostly everything behind. If the certification is too troublesome then I might just ship them to myself and hope for the best.

Top Bottom