moving from wisconsin to minnesota.... how to move the bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
in about 3 weeks im moving to minnesota from wisconsin. moving all our stuff in a moving truck.... any advice on how to pack or move the bonsai? i have around 30 bonsai
thanks

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just want to be the first to say, “good job, and welcome!” Where in Minnesota?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used pop trays. Something like a bread rack tray is good. Light and strong, holes to tie stuff down if needed.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You need each to occupy one cardboard box for two functions: To allow the boxes to touch/be closely packed together without ceramic pots touching; and, to insure that canopies don't get tangled together. Boxes-in-boxes can center or otherwise properly space pots so canopies don't touch. All are easily disposable on the other end.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I moved over 100 potted bonsai about 1000 miles in June, 2009 in a 26 ft moving van. I built wooden benches that were attached to the sides of the moving truck- they were fashioned from pressure treated lumbar and have been outside in N GA for almost 11 years now :cool: . I strapped the potted trees to the top of the benches, or placed them underneath or in between and used towels, old clothes, blankets, etc., to cushion and protect the closely packed stoneware pots. There were moving boxes containing non bonsai items placed around and among the trees to facilitate a good, tight pack that wouldn't shift. It worked fine.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Guys you're supposed to move south... It's called Florida ;)

That’s what everyone says! I like REAL Florida... not TOURIST Florida.

I have an “arm” of family in Jacksonville... I love when I can make it down there.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I moved over 100 potted bonsai about 1000 miles in June, 2009 in a 26 ft moving van. I built wooden benches that were attached to the sides of the moving truck- they were fashioned from pressure treated lumbar and have been outside in N GA for almost 11 years now :cool: . I strapped the potted trees to the top of the benches, or placed them underneath or in between and used towels, old clothes, blankets, etc., to cushion and protect the closely packed stoneware pots. There were moving boxes containing non bonsai items placed around and among the trees to facilitate a good, tight pack that wouldn't shift. It worked fine.

How did you attach to the moving van?

and how much does it cost to fly you up to St Louis and just do it for me? 😜

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
How did you attach to the moving van?

and how much does it cost to fly you up to St Louis and just do it for me? 😜
The moving van has wooden rails built into the inside cargo space. I attached the benches to the rails with either aluminum wire or coated steel wire... basically whatever I had laying around that would do the job. The pots were attached to the top of the benches with the coated wire.

Top Bottom