Moving in Winter

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Howdy!

Been working with the bank and a realtor and it looks like I'm going to be moving the family sooner than I had once planned. We might be packing up in the January/February time frame. Exciting right!?

I have some trees in the ground. Bummer. Maples, Junipers, Elms. I'd very much like to take them with me. Any tips on transplanting out of season? Thanks and Cheers.
B

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Howdy!

Been working with the bank and a realtor and it looks like I'm going to be moving the family sooner than I had once planned. We might be packing up in the January/February time frame. Exciting right!?

I have some trees in the ground. Bummer. Maples, Junipers, Elms. I'd very much like to take them with me. Any tips on transplanting out of season? Thanks and Cheers.
B
I'd dig them and get them into pots now if you can. Try to protect from the worst of the winter cold if you can and heel them into a garden bed when you touch down into your new locale. I basically did the same thing 9 years ago, dug up several in ground trees in October- they still froze solid within a few weeks of the dig- mulched them into my winter storage area, and finally got them planted out at the new place the following spring. They all did just fine

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Howdy!

B

Congrats on the house!
You want to dig em now or in jan/feb?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd dig them and get them into pots now if you can. Try to protect from the worst of the winter cold if you can and heel them into a garden bed when you touch down into your new locale. I basically did the same thing 9 years ago, dug up several in ground trees in October- they still froze solid within a few weeks of the dig- mulched them into my winter storage area, and finally got them planted out at the new place the following spring. They all did just fine

That was my thoughts actually. Issue being, the deciduous trees haven't dropped leaves so I wasn't sure if they were still metabolically useful to the roots.

Cheers.

B

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
New home...cool....congratulations! I’d follow what @Dav4 said. I’ve done similar...I tried to cut as little root as possible when digging. When I dug the trees I wrapped the root balls in old burlap on hand to keep the soil secured to the roots.... over the move....removed the burlap at the new location...and ground planted. I had a couple trees that I was unsure of where to plant them....I planted those trees in a temporary in-ground location burlap and all. I have a sandy soil....so early Spring removal was easy.

I did my digging in early November.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Who does?
Is it a far move?
When I moved from where I was living I went back in the spring and dug some trees out that were there.

I really love living here in Central VA. Grew up here. My family is all here. When I moved from my first rental house and bought this one, it was 150 yards down the street and the same builder. I imagine I'll go no more than 10 minutes from my current location. Still going to hire some strong dudes to move my furniture though.

I guess it's an option to go back but I'm not planning to rent this house and don't want them changing their minds to ruin my plans.. Hell I just remembered I have some quince growing out too!

Cheers,

B

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@berobinson82
Cool, congrats on getting a new place, it's going to have plenty of yard space, right?;) I hope you don't move too far and stay in the area!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@berobinson82
Cool, congrats on getting a new place, it's going to have plenty of yard space, right?;) I hope you don't move too far and stay in the area!

I'm not going too far and the sunny back yard is in the MUST HAVE column. I've seen some amazing deals on homes but when I get there to have a gander, the backyard looks like a postage stamp. Rather give up the extra bedroom than a place I can grow stuff.

Funny story, I had a visit from the cops recently. Actually twice in a week. The first time it's because I was on the MOST WANTED list... The second time it was because I was growing pot in the back yard. I took the two officers around back and showed them my maple trees.. Won't miss that neighbor!

Cheers,
B

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah my place is small and I don't get very good full sun because of a lot of trees around my house and monster bamboo, but I make due. It's definitely worth looking around and finding that perfect spot! Haha maybe find a place that could also fit a greenhouse eventually:cool:!

Should I even ask about the most wanted thing, or is it one of those things the less I know the better:p? I can't believe the neighbors called the cops for your maples, that's ridiculous. You don't strike me as that kind of person and I think it's sad your neighbors would suspect you of that. Had they even met you before...:mad::rolleyes:??? What did the cops have to say after you showed them?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah my place is small and I don't get very good full sun because of a lot of trees around my house and monster bamboo, but I make due. It's definitely worth looking around and finding that perfect spot! Haha maybe find a place that could also fit a greenhouse eventually:cool:!

Should I even ask about the most wanted thing, or is it one of thoghbor is old se things the less I know the better:p? I can't believe the neighbors called the cops for your maples, that's ridiculous. You don't strike me as that kind of person and I think it's sad your neighbors would suspect you of that. Had they even met you before...:mad::rolleyes:??? What did the cops have to say after you showed them?

My neighbor is old, senile, hard of hearing and has told me to my face what she thinks people who look like me. Maybe 85 or so. Miss Ruth needs me. I'm her drama. Sad case and I hold no ill will towards her. i still scrape ice from her windows and leave a christmas gift.

The cops were cool man. They said to watch out in case i stop seeing her walk her dog. She is in a mental state where they didnt take her seriously. i have a clearance, pay taxes, clean living. I'm a good guy and they saw it.

Cheers

B

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fall is a great time to ground plant trees. Me and several hundred of my large (now) 40 year old trees planted in the fall can vouch for that.

Yes I agree...had 8 trees planted in the late fall...last year. Watered them twice...and forgot about it. Winter settled in...and they were easier than ones we planted in the spring. My Uncle always stated fall was the best time to plant...or transplant.

Top Bottom