Moving my large bonsai collection... again!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
12 years ago, I moved from MA to GA in late June, and I brought my trees with me. I was a decade plus into the hobby and had about 80 trees of varying species and sizes, none too developed but many having good potential. I rented a 26' moving van to move the trees along with some furniture, bikes, mattress and box spring, etc.. I built 2 large benches out of pressure treated wood to be attached to the walls of the cargo area to assist in packing the trees in on 2 levels and used coated wire as a means to tie the pots down to the slatted bench tops. The furniture was tied to the cargo bay walls as well, and everything else was packed in tight on the floor with old sheets and towels stuffed between the pots or walls to lock things in. The 2 day, 1000 mile trip was carried out successfully with the only casualty being a a large Tokoname pot getting chipped because it was tied on top of a bench right next to the wall of the cargo bay and literally rubbed against it the entire trip. Fwiw, the wall had more damage then the pot by a large margin.

Anyway, I found out this past August that we would be moving to the metro Detroit area... YIKES!! It turns out that southern Michigan is, in fact, NOT a bonsai dead zone so began preparations to move my collection again. Having done this once before, I was confidant of my odds pulling things off again.

Nothing will make you pare down your collection then needing to move them a long distance, particularly if you are moving them to a different climate and, more importantly, live at the top of a ridiculously long and insanely steep driveway. 12 years of living on that steep hill had taken its toll physically and emotionally, and I knew I had to significantly reduce my collection to get there without breaking physically or mentally. I reduced the size of my collection by at least a third, either selling or giving away trees that didn't make the cut. As many of you know, I love a good project tree, but even project trees need to watered and fed and a place on the bench, be it in my yard or on the truck. With time constraints being what they were, I needed to unload the trees quickly, so they were priced to sell, and if you were willing to reach out to me and come to my yard to see what was available, you usually went home with some freebies like seedlings or cuttings, or perhaps a project tree growing out somewhere in the yard. I could have used the money, but I was honestly happy to see my work not going to waste. Anyway, I said good buy to some trees I'd been working on for more then a decade along with trees I'd started from trees or struck from cuttings... not easy but necessary.

Now the real fun began! My yard presented significant challenges that needed a fair amount of thoughtful planning to overcome. I had decided on renting a 16-17' moving truck this time, mainly because I was confidant I could not only get it up my driveway but turn it around at the top and drive it down moving forward... not an easy task. Also, the inner dimensions of the cargo space let me re-use the original benches from my first move 12 years earlier... still serviceable after all these years :cool: ... and I could re-purpose the lumber from my bonsai garden to build more benches to go in the truck.
Here is my collection pre-positioned at the top of the driveway (the lumber, trash bags and drop cloths belong to the painters who were painting my house)

IMG_6188.jpg

The next job was to break down my bonsai garden. Again, emotionally and physically hard to do as I had just rebuilt the benches 4 years ago after the snow catastrophe of 2017, but the yard needed to be cleaned up prior to being listed and I needed the lumber. The pictures below show the garden breakdown in progress and you can see the benches made out of the salvaged wood in the first picture above.
IMG_5993.jpg65591300868__3C0C1915-C6EF-42F4-90B1-BB01A4523999.fullsizerender.jpg

After pre-positioning the trees, and breaking down the garden, it was time to get the old benches out of the back yard and up to the driveway. Since buying our house 12 years ago, I built a pathway with stairs along the garden and it made moving those large and cumbersome benches difficult to say the least. Also, at this stage in my life... unlike when I was younger... I'm unable to just physically bull through these situations and actually have to think these things through. Anyway, I had these two 24' ladders laying by the staired path and I used then like the ancient Egyptians might have... fwiw, sliding something as cumbersome as these benches is a hell of a lot easier then lifting it up and carrying it!
IMG_6040 (1).jpgIMG_6045.jpg

Once the moving date was set... kind of:rolleyes:... it was time to get the moving truck, move it up the driveway and start packing. I was able to get the truck up the driveway without issue... now for the packing. The old benches went on first. They're 6' wide and 40" deep and I set them over rubbermaid bins full of pots/soil/other heavy items pushed up against the front of the cargo area. They were wired to the side rails of the cargo area, then top was filled with larger trees that were wired in place with smaller trees placed between them unwired.
IMG_6189.jpg
IMG_6191.jpg
IMG_6204.jpg

Once the 2 old benches were in place and packed, I strapped them in to the cargo side rails for additional stability, then continued the pack using the reclaimed wooden benches. I used some deck planking and pine boards screwed to the benches to further lock the upper level pots in place. I also used a length of pvc moulding screwed to the top of each bench segment to lock them all together. the trees on the floor were packed in tightly and the ones in glazed pots were surrounded by old sheets and towels to protect them.
IMG_6202.jpgIMG_6203.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have done this five times since starting bonsai. I feel your pain. Agree that the key is to reduce the collection. I usually moved about 20 trees. Key #2: only keep trees that will thrive in the new environment. Each time time I moved it was like you, to a significantly different climate. I almost always tried to take at least one thing that I shouldn't, and ended up killing something nice instead of selling it. Key #3: Anything that fits in a tub, travels in a tub.

Good luck. Must have been something significant to stimulate a move from Georgia to Detroit!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
More pictures of the packing. I forgot to mention that the reclaimed wooden benches were also wired to the cargo bay walls (every other one) and then strapped in to lock everything in place.
IMG_6206.jpg
IMG_6222.jpg

Here's the truck with all the trees fully packed, and me throwing everything else into the remaining available space.IMG_6228.jpg

I touched down in Michigan a week ago today after a 12 hour, 730 mile drive that began at 2 am. Here's what the cargo bay looked like when the door was opened after the drive... everythingright where I left it!
IMG_6248.jpg

Here are the trees on the patio in the back yard waiting a more permanent overwintering plan but relatively protected. The welcoming committee was quite enthusiastic... and it was 22 F two mornings after these first pictures were taken.

IMG_6252.jpg
IMG_6258.jpg
IMG_6259.jpg

This photo was taken this morning...
IMG_6266 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have done this five times since starting bonsai. I feel your pain. Agree that the key is to reduce the collection. I usually moved about 20 trees. Key #2: only keep trees that will thrive in the new environment. Each time time I moved it was like you, to a significantly different climate. I almost always tried to take at least one thing that I shouldn't, and ended up killing something nice instead of selling it. Key #3: Anything that fits in a tub, travels in a tub.

Good luck. Must have been something significant to stimulate a move from Georgia to Detroit!
I never expected to move from MA to GA but did due to a great job opportunity for my wife. 12 years later, an even better job opportunity pulled us out of our comfort zone again... hopefully for the last time. I'd say half the trees in the photos above moved with me from MA to GA, and the rest, excluding an olive and water elm, are cold hardy to zone 6 or colder so we should be good... and how people moved before the advent of plastic bins is beyond me!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Congrats on a successful move, looks like a lot work. I doubt you'll be wearing those pink shorts much in MI.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been thinking about you recently as I've been paring down to the core collection, and you wound up keeping and moving more than I plan to do! You will find lots of bonsai up that way, I think it's a pretty good climate zone for most species. And looks like you'll have good snow cover for insulation... Glad the move went so well, you sure did everything right! Hope you settle in well up there, LMK if you have interest in driving down sometime, I still host some workshops at my place, Sergio is on for this summer!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
also, not sure what part of MI your in but @mattspiniken is doing some pretty great stuff with natives up there. And there is another artist, Bruce Baker who also does great work. I think @Mayank is also in MI. Congrats on the successful move!
Looking forward to meeting all of them sooner or later!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking forward to meeting all of them sooner or later!
Good to hear you are working your way closer to the northern border. Moving is one of my least favourite activities so I am feeling your pain from a distance. Great job with the packing and transport of the trees. Will keep a few of your tricks in mind when the time comes to shift locations.
You have a couple of awesome gnarly looking pines in that group, expect they will love your new location. Have they asked for deer protection yet?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good to hear you are working your way closer to the northern border. Moving is one of my least favourite activities so I am feeling your pain from a distance. Great job with the packing and transport of the trees. Will keep a few of your tricks in mind when the time comes to shift locations.
You have a couple of awesome gnarly looking pines in that group, expect they will love your new location. Have they asked for deer protection yet?
Deer protection, along with winter housing, is at the top of my bonsai priority list. The deer walk through my back yard multiple times every day and seem more tame then my new neighbor's dog. At least right now, the deer don't seem willing to pass my makeshift deer fence of torn up plastic fence and patio furniture. I've got a weather tight unheated room off the garage that will serve nicely as a winter cold room and the smaller trees, all of the maples and many of the JBP will end up there. The spruce, white pine, yews, dougie fir and larger black pine will end up pushed up under the eaves against the house with the same ghetto fencing strung across to keep the deer at bay. The real struggle will take place when next spring arrives and everything comes out into the sun again. My wife and mother in law don't want me to wrap the yard in deer fencing so I'll have to try something else. I'm wanting a nice looking garden and display area so my deer mitigation strategy needs to look good as well as be effective. Right now, I'm looking at some sort of decorative electrified fencing that's frequently used in a zoo setting. I figure I've got about 4 months to figure it out :eek:

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
More pictures of the packing. I forgot to mention that the reclaimed wooden benches were also wired to the cargo bay walls (every other one) and then strapped in to lock everything in place.
Thanks for posting these, it definitely helps all of us who may have moves in our future.

I notice the pots are directly on the cargo box floor. Since you’ve done this before, it obviously works for you. Did you have any concerns from bounces and bumps from the road? In my pre-pre-planning of an eventual move, I was thinking of some type foam cushion and blocking to absorb shock. But it would also be in contact with the floor so maybe it wouldn’t help much?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for posting these, it definitely helps all of us who may have moves in our future.

I notice the pots are directly on the cargo box floor. Since you’ve done this before, it obviously works for you. Did you have any concerns from bounces and bumps from the road? In my pre-pre-planning of an eventual move, I was thinking of some type foam cushion and blocking to absorb shock. But it would also be in contact with the floor so maybe it wouldn’t help much?
Truth be told, I felt every bump during that 700 + mile drive and often wondered what might be happening to the trees and pots in the cargo bay. Ultimately, there was no damage to any tree or pot that I've yet noticed (haven't looked hard to be honest but I think I would have seen something when pulling the trees off the truck) and the only spilled soil came from one tree, a root over rock trident planted in a 1 gal plastic nursery pot- that was top heavy and tipped over during the trip. My experience tells me it's more important to pack pots in and fill the gaps between them with cushioning material like blankets and towels then it might be to put cushioning material beneath them as I believe they must move... or don't move... as a cohesive unit which in turn reduces the chances of tipping over or knocking into other pots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Deer protection, along with winter housing, is at the top of my bonsai priority list. The deer walk through my back yard multiple times every day and seem more tame then my new neighbor's dog. At least right now, the deer don't seem willing to pass my makeshift deer fence of torn up plastic fence and patio furniture. I've got a weather tight unheated room off the garage that will serve nicely as a winter cold room and the smaller trees, all of the maples and many of the JBP will end up there. The spruce, white pine, yews, dougie fir and larger black pine will end up pushed up under the eaves against the house with the same ghetto fencing strung across to keep the deer at bay. The real struggle will take place when next spring arrives and everything comes out into the sun again. My wife and mother in law don't want me to wrap the yard in deer fencing so I'll have to try something else. I'm wanting a nice looking garden and display area so my deer mitigation strategy needs to look good as well as be effective. Right now, I'm looking at some sort of decorative electrified fencing that's frequently used in a zoo setting. I figure I've got about 4 months to figure it out :eek:
Best of luck, we struggled with alternative approaches for five years, then fenced the acreage with 6 1/2 foot deer and rabbit fence. Added a single heavy strand 6 inches above the wire. Total height 7 feet. Used the reflective plastic coated clothesline wire for the top wire stapled along the post tops.
The damage to the landscape plantings and my wife's floral gardens was ten time worse than the Bonsai aspect from the deer.
For aesthetics we added a custom iron gate with side panels and set back the fence on the frontage so it was nestled in the woods rather than out on the property line. This worked well for our acreage and was an acceptable compromise for the powers that be.
Old timers in the area advised us that we could go with lower fencing if the deer could not see through. Evidently they need to see where they are landing before they will jump the fence. Because we are in a very natural forest location, we chose the less obtrusive design.
Not sure what your neighbourhood situation is but it will likely be a major factor in the decision.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Impressive work. I moved from CA to VA this summer, and just threw about 30 trees in the back of an SUV (after convincing my wife I wasn't crazy as she took a plane).

Brian Bay was one beneficiary of the fire sale!

Top Bottom