Moving my large bonsai collection... again!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The endless greyness/cloud cover of winter up here is the toughest thing for me. We can sometimes go weeks without a glimpse of blue sky. I seem to have become more tolerant of it but those first few winters were definitely an adjustment process. Good luck with it!
global problem. Hang in there. 6 more days and the sun will start rising higher and come up over the treetops again (WHen there are no clouds)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
global problem. Hang in there. 6 more days and the sun will start rising higher and come up over the treetops again (WHen there are no clouds)
There's a difference between short days and overcast days. I can deal fine with the short days if I get some sun time every now and then. I don't know what it's like where you live but if you've never experienced weeks of complete overcast (on top of the short daylight hours), you just can't know what it's like.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There's a difference between short days and overcast days. I can deal fine with the short days if I get some sun time every now and then. I don't know what it's like where you live but if you've never experienced weeks of complete overcast (on top of the short daylight hours), you just can't know what it's like.
It happens here in winter time too.
I've actually had feelings that I can only liken to claustrophobia with the fully overcast skies for weeks on end.
Strange thing really....probably just thinking about it too much.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what it's like where you live but if you've never experienced weeks of complete overcast (on top of the short daylight hours), you just can't know what it's like.
Trust me. I know. We have not really had sunny days yet this month. Longest continuous rain we have had has been more than a week. No dry moments. Last week we had several days of fog. So much fun that at midday you have to have your lights on

1639594196359.png

1639594226611.png

(And living 52 degrees north means day length at the moment is only 7:46 .. Not a whole load of daylight to begin with!

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It happens here in winter time too.
I've actually had feelings that I can only liken to claustrophobia with the fully overcast skies for weeks on end.
Strange thing really....probably just thinking about it too much.
Just happy temps will drop after christmas. Typically that means the skies clear up. Bright and sunny frozen days. This just-not-freesing-always-dark-always-wet is horrible. Normal winters my wife and I jump on a plane south and spend a few days in Italy. But .. well. Yeah.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Just happy temps will drop after christmas. Typically that means the skies clear up. Bright and sunny frozen days. This just-not-freesing-always-dark-always-wet is horrible. Normal winters my wife and I jump on a plane south and spend a few days in Italy. But .. well. Yeah.
That sounds like one way to deal with seasonal affective disorder! I've just self-diagnosed myself... I wonder what 2 tickets to southern Italy is going for these days?? :)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Trust me. I know. We have not really had sunny days yet this month. Longest continuous rain we have had has been more than a week. No dry moments. Last week we had several days of fog. So much fun that at midday you have to have your lights on

View attachment 412365

View attachment 412366

(And living 52 degrees north means day length at the moment is only 7:46 .. Not a whole load of daylight to begin with!

I am just going to leave this here. Just a normal week of near constant sunshine. :)
122B1E43-825D-4419-AD24-77A9C1F6356F.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am just going to leave this here. Just a normal week of near constant sunshine. :)
View attachment 412381
Didn't you have a big wind event today? Or was that only further west of you? I have heard of some horrific high winds in some places, and some pretty good snow totals (yay for the snow...)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Didn't you have a big wind event today? Or was that only further west of you? I have heard of some horrific high winds in some places, and some pretty good snow totals (yay for the snow...)

Definitely windy, but at least it’s sunny!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 , I was out in the garden today, 60F, talking to the trees. Your trees miss you and are happy you didn't force that latitude on them! Thanks for making me the offer I couldn't refuse... beers on me when we cross paths againView attachment 412394
I really, really hope your new trees do well for you... and I really, really, really, really hope I run into down the road so I can collect on those beers!!!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Dave - what a big move. Congrats! My sister lived in the Detroit area for awhile. You hear a lot of things and the city has a certain rep, but I was pleasantly surprised when I visited. Downtown was fun and there was a lot happening. I hope you like it.

My move is about 6 months away….

- S

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dave - what a big move. Congrats! My sister lived in the Detroit area for awhile. You hear a lot of things and the city has a certain rep, but I was pleasantly surprised when I visited. Downtown was fun and there was a lot happening. I hope you like it.

- S

I'd move back to Virginia in a second. Michigan...not so much!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score

- S
Yup, Detroit is certainly completely different from when I moved here in the late 80s. Lots to do. We really like going downtown!

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I'd move back to Virginia in a second. Michigan...not so much!
We know lots of people that moved away to San Francisco, Texas, Seattle, Florida, Atlanta area and all of them came back because they thought that Michigan was best for a good family life, schooling, etc. Summer is beautiful. The great lakes are astounding. Many public schools are excellent (Novi, Northville, Bloomfield...).
Not to mention the cherry on top, Ann Arbor! In state tuition to one of the best schools in the world set in one of the most liveable cities is hard to beat!
But, obviously. I'm biased. 🙃 😁

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have always enjoyed the Detroit area when I've worked up there, some great restaurants!

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ann Arbor is a great town
I was born there, and moved away and back many times.
probably not going back though, it’s been 20 years and been in the south for a long time, a Michigan winter might hurt now.

Top Bottom