Moving Potted Oak Seedlings Outside

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello,

At the end of the winter, the girlfriend and I picked up some acorns whilst they were frozen from this immense Oak nearby. Did the float test and stuck 4 in some pots of soil inside and just forgot about them really (gave them a bit of water from time to time). After a month or so, 3 of the 4 sprouted, and have been doing really well inside for a few months (with some second hand grow lighting for my Ficus)

My plan is to move them outside permanently, but keep them potted, as unfortunately we only have a terrace, so no option of planting them. I'm quite happy just keeping them alive and as a memory of Switzerland whilst I am here! Who knows, in 20-30 years I may make them into bonsai!

But my main question is what kind of temperatures can these tolerate when potted? Right now night time temps get down to 2c or so, and wondering if that's still a bit too low for a young oak. I know once they are established they will be happy in almost any temperature, but that'll be next year.

Here are some pics, one of them has a very strange branching structure, might be quite interesting to see how it develops!

Attachments

• IMG_20210419_093915.jpg
    IMG_20210419_093915.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210419_093900.jpg
    IMG_20210419_093900.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210419_093816.jpg
    IMG_20210419_093816.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 10

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I can't answer any of you questions really. I will say that I would maybe put some screen or something on them. Rodents love oak seedlings especially if the acorn debris is still around. I grew a few cork oaks a while back and lost them all because a chipmunk ripped them all out and ate the roots. Lost some beech seeds one year too for the same reason.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I can't answer any of you questions really. I will say that I would maybe put some screen or something on them. Rodents love oak seedlings especially if the acorn debris is still around. I grew a few cork oaks a while back and lost them all because a chipmunk ripped them all out and ate the roots. Lost some beech seeds one year too for the same reason.

Well the good thing is I've never even seen a squirrel so far since moving to Switzerland 😂 Plus I have a very sheltered balcony so I think wildlife risk is low!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
-20C is about the lowest they can take. It doesn't kill seedling around here.

Oaks are built for the long run.

But then again, you have been keeping them indoors.. So the minimum might be closer to -5 or -10.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
-20C is about the lowest they can take. It doesn't kill seedling around here.

Oaks are built for the long run.

But then again, you have been keeping them indoors.. So the minimum might be closer to -5 or -10.

Oh that's great! Lows are still just above freezing here, so transitioning them outside should hopefully be fine.

Thanks for the information 🤓

Top Bottom