Moving to a larger pot...beefing up trunk...how long will they stay in said pot

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I found a pot...and was curious since beefing up the trunk is my goal...if the bonsai will stay in this pot for a year or two?

Found a pot...curious if I want to spend the $$$...love the feet...and feel I would definitely use it once this bonsai outgrew it. With something else. Which...means I am really persuaded to make this purchase. It is a round pot as well...which was suggested to me to go with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 49

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How big is the trunk now and how big do you want it to be?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Holding a ruler up to it...it is 1 cm across. As to how large I want it to get...I'm not certain. :confused: I guess when I see it I'll know.:eek:

The length of time it will need a bigger pot is dependent on that so no one can help you w/o that info. Also, since the pot is just a bit bigger, it won't help accelerate thickening as much.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The length of time it will need a bigger pot is dependent on that so no one can help you w/o that info. Also, since the pot is just a bit bigger, it won't help accelerate thickening as much.

That makes sense...sorry for not having all the proper information.

Everything I read...said to go 2 inches bigger and no more because of the roots and issues with water in larger pots.

I was also advised here to go half a size bigger than the pot it currently is in...so...I'm close to that...if just a shy larger.

Time will tell...love the pot. And plan to reuse it later...my entire outdoors has frogs scattered about. So the feet had me at "ribbit". :rolleyes: I know...it must be a girl thing.

Worst case I repot it sooner than I had imagined.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What I read in my Penjing book that arrived...is that Bougainvilleas need reported annually...which means...no biggie...this will eventually go to another planting in a year. It tells when to leave roots wetter...and months to leave them almost dry out. So...I feel a better grasp on things. Another reason maybe...why they say go 2 inches larger on these guys for pots. Since they are to be changed out annually? Just an assumption...

Seeing my bougainvillea not on the list for ideal Penjing landscapes as well...but they did have a Tamarix photo with a land and water! :cool: all the info is really cool...to the point I may have to buy the first Penjing book this man put out. Though...it is a bit costly...I will continue to find a good deal on a used book.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My pot arrived from the UK!!! I absolutely LOVE it...I must admit the box it arrived in could have told a story of its own...and I was quite nervous to open it. But the seller went to amazing packaging lengths inside...and it was not damaged. :eek:

Now to await the soil to dry out in my pot...and hoping by that time my soil I ordered arrives by then.

Question though...I need some mesh for the drain hole...what would you suggest? A specific kind or can I just pick up what they sell at say...Ace Hardware for screen doors?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Question though...I need some mesh for the drain hole...what would you suggest? A specific kind or can I just pick up what they sell at say...Ace Hardware for screen doors?

I use plastic canvas from Michael's, secured with wire "staples".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 19

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
No, you make the staples with a piece of wire. Skip the humidity tray, they're nothing more than coasters.

Don't forget to secure the tree to the pot. Here is an example of creating a wire and bamboo scaffold to tie the tree to the pot. Set the tree in, and twist the wires together with pliers so the tree doesn't move. Then work in new soil with a chopstick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

pmalelis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No, you make the staples with a piece of wire. Skip the humidity tray, they're noting more than coasters.

Don't forget to secure the tree to the pot. Here is an example of creating a wire and bamboo scaffold to tie the tree to the pot. Set the tree in, and twist the wires together with pliers so the tree doesn't move. The work in new soil with a chopstick.

Brian,
The bamboo scafold is new to me could you explain?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Making the wire staple to secure the plastic canvas to the pot:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 12

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Attach wires if the pot has tie-down holes, shown in first two photos
Then when you set the tree in, twist them together with pliers to tighten them down around the root ball, as shown in the third.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom