Chrisdz89

Seed
Reaction score
Hello!
I’m pretty new to bonsai and started up the hobby a little over a year ago in Los Angeles, CA. My partner and I are now planning to move to Hawaii early next year. I have several deciduous tress (Japanese, trident maples and dawn redwood bonsai). Seeing that Hawaii doesn’t have a winter, is there a way I can create a winter environment for my bonsai. A refrigerator or a cooler of some sort. Please help!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello!
I’m pretty new to bonsai and started up the hobby a little over a year ago in Los Angeles, CA. My partner and I are now planning to move to Hawaii early next year. I have several deciduous tress (Japanese, trident maples and dawn redwood bonsai). Seeing that Hawaii doesn’t have a winter, is there a way I can create a winter environment for my bonsai. A refrigerator or a cooler of some sort. Please help!

Are you even sure you can take them?
I'm sure Hawaii has some regulations regarding plant importation. Might want to check that before you try to figure out how your going to keep them alive in an environment they aren't suitable for

Chrisdz89

Seed
Reaction score
Are you even sure you can take them?
I'm sure Hawaii has some regulations regarding plant importation. Might want to check that before you try to figure out how your going to keep them alive in an environment they aren't suitable for
Yeah I can definitely take my bonsai

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The only way is to try a refrigerator. Not sure its worth the effort to be honest considering a refrigerator will cost several hundred dollars as best.

You need to provide progressively shorter day lengths, cooler nights as "fall" approaches, then a prolonged dormancy with temperatures below 40 degrees. Then do the opposite as "spring" comes

Plus refrigerators tend to dry out the plants.

Might be better to give them away and plan on getting trees more suited to Hawaii

In Hawaii, you can keep many other wonderful species such as ficus, Brazilian rain tree and others I can't think of.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
"General guidelines for the importation of plants to Hawaii are as follows: All plants require inspection upon entry into the state. Plants must be apparently free of insects and diseases. Plants do not need to be bare-rooted but the growing media cannot contain soil."

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
"General guidelines for the importation of plants to Hawaii are as follows: All plants require inspection upon entry into the state. Plants must be apparently free of insects and diseases. Plants do not need to be bare-rooted but the growing media cannot contain soil."
Methinks a phytosanitary certificate may be needed.

I am also interested in how one would go about growing deciduous trees in a tropical environment. Bump.

Edit: You might find some resources on minicking seasons from people who grow cannabis. They are experts in what type of light is needed to mimic seasonal changes as well as how to taper off day-length artificially.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All of those I know who have tried to maintain temperate species in tropical areas have failed. Usually not straight away but slow decline over several years.
A few have tried to simulate winters using fridges, etc but none that I know have been successful.

There are so many tropical species that are great for bonsai it is hard to understand why someone would want to saddle themselves with much extra work and expense to keep a few temperate species, especially as beginner trees are likely to be low monetary value and low sentimental value.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Concur with @sorce it’s a good chance to start over and find a new home for your trees.

Having lived in Hawaii myself I’ve witnessed lots of plant stories. I’d recommend you directly contact the Hawaii DOA folks and be sure to get all your ducks solidly in line, including a pre entry inspection if that’s still required. The DOA has a record of quarantining plants. esp. non natives.

Best of luck and aloha!
DSD sends

Here’s the refs

https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/travel-shipping-information/traveling-from-the-u-s-mainland-to-hawaiʻi/

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can only own just so many bonsai, space and time limits us to some do-able number. There are many more species that will be happy in Hawaii than anyone can own, so the fool's errand of taking hardy trees with you is another case a taking coals to Newcastle.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can only own just so many bonsai, space and time limits us to some do-able number. There are many more species that will be happy in Hawaii than anyone can own, so the fool's errand of taking hardy trees with you is another case a taking coals to Newcastle.

Yup the expense of a refrigerator and all the effort to mimic seasonal change will most likely end up with dead trees anyway.

It's definitely easier to keep tropicals in temperature area than trees that need dormancy in places that don't have winter.

But hey an extra fridge for beer after the trees die won't be so bad

🍻

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I keep learning.. over and over again...

That you can’t TRULY, successfully “trick” plants...

I DO keep trying... and continue learning that lesson.

🤣🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You do know the definition of insanity, right?
Hehe!!! It’s never the SAME plants! 🤣 Just, “Hmmm.. maybe I can stretch the boundaries for THIS species?”

But you ARE right.. the same actions..

I’m now learning to seek “colder” as a rule.. looking into zone 2 and 3 plants! 🤣🤣🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Found a couple interesting “things” for you to read.. first.. about minimum chilling requirements.. fir growing deciduous fruit in hawaii

2nd.. a real cool native deciduous.

Just helping arm you with knowledge.

🤓

Top Bottom