crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Well, I can now say that I'm officially moving to Portland in June to start an apprenticeship with Michael Hagedorn. I've worked with Michael on and off for several years, and I'm excited to study with him in his yard full-time! I spent last week working with him in his yard, along with current apprentice Bobby Curttright, and I'm eager to learn from Michael during my tenure as his apprentice. I thought long and hard about where I might go to study bonsai, and I really happy that this opportunity came up! Michael is not just a talented bonsai artist, but an innovative bonsai artist, and he has so much to offer in terms of knowledge and artistic aesthetics. I'm counting down the days until my move!

I worked on several trees while I was in Portland, but this one was particularly fun, and it was a group effort! Enjoy! http://crataegus.com/2016/03/29/a-cliff-bonsai-western-hemlock-styling/
lucky dog

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I'd love to move to Portland, and not necessarily for the bonsai scene (which certainly doesn't hurt;)). From what I here, it's just a wonderful city with a lot going for it...and I here it has more micro brews then any other part of the country...brrrp! Have a great time!
Me too. I would if I could.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long is the apprenticeship?
Good idea of Eric above. Maybe start a progression update thread/"blog" here for us to follow. There is a lot of interest for that here.....;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd love to move to Portland, and not necessarily for the bonsai scene (which certainly doesn't hurt;)). From what I here, it's just a wonderful city with a lot going for it...and I here it has more micro brews then any other part of the country...brrrp! Have a great time!
My brother lives in Portland..."keep Portland weird" is their saying. Sounds about right to me.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's fantastic! I noticed it mentioned that you were being taken on as apprentice on Michael Hagedorn's blog. I'm also happy that you came back here to share your news. This place has not always been the most receptive towards your views.

I have visited Portland several times and have often thought of moving there. That entire area is great. I only hope that you come back east when you are done with your studies. We need more professionals back here.

Good luck!

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
How long is the apprenticeship?
Good idea of Eric above. Maybe start a progression update thread/"blog" here for us to follow. There is a lot of interest for that here.....;)

I'm going to be there for about 3 years probably, with some small trips to Shinji Suzuki's place as well.

I'll have to see about a blog or website. Definitely check out Michael's blog though! http://crataegus.com He regularly posts recent projects from his studio and shares way more online than any other profession does! You can learn a lot from his blog!

Also, if you want to get out to visit Michael's yard or take some seasonals, take a look at his website for details!

Thanks everyone! Cheers!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm going to be there for about 3 years probably, with some small trips to Shinji Suzuki's place as well.

I'll have to see about a blog or website. Definitely check out Michael's blog though! http://crataegus.com He regularly posts recent projects from his studio and shares way more online than any other profession does! You can learn a lot from his blog!

Also, if you want to get out to visit Michael's yard or take some seasonals, take a look at his website for details!

Thanks everyone! Cheers!
Andrew, I'm trying to think of what Star Wars character would play the flute...

My daughter can play a variety of instruments. In addition to French Horn (and other similiar brass instruments) she can play piano, organ, Hurdy Gurdy, clarinet, and recorder. Even plays two recorders at one time, so she can play a duet with herself.

If she could only ride the unicycle...

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Congratulations. Hagedorn is one of my favorite bonsai artists. His blog is one I look forward to seeing new posts pop up in my RSS reader. Your own blog would be great too, as someone already mentioned. Wordpress makes it really easy to get started, for free even.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations and welcome to NW Oregon Omiya(sp?) village. Michael is really nice and humble guy to work around and will meet other pros from area also. Hope is you will develop great love for Ponderosa developing in this area:D.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've worked with Michael on and off for several years, and I'm excited to study with him in his yard full-time!
Hmmmm......need to find a much better word than "yard".....yard sounds like you're going to be cutting the grass....

Top Bottom