Moving trees to new home.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone have pics of how you moved all your trees to a new home? I’m am going to move about 40 trees to a new house we are building. I am at a loss of how I can safely do it. I have both small and large trees. My concern is that if I load them all in a uhaul truck they will slide around and branches will get broken. Luckily it is only about a 45 minute drive to new house. any tips would be appreciated.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are a careful driver, then you should be able to put smaller trees into milk crates and boxes, and then place cinder blocks tightly between them. Larger trees, I'd wrap the pots in bubble wrap if they're ceramic, (I'd wrap good smaller pots as well) and they should be ok on the floor. Make sure you carry the blocks all the way back to the door...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I moved 100 bonsai in a 26 foot moving truck from Massachusetts to Georgia. I built wooden benches that I could attach to the walls of The moving van, then strapped the trees to the top of the benches, or placed them underneath and packed them in tightly by using old blankets, clothing, or other bits of fabric to keep The pots from banging together. Over 1000 miles and no casualties :).

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am also doing this in September in Texas. Should be about 100-105 degrees. I can cut the temp by doing it first thing in the morning By about 15 degrees. I need to go check the inside temp of a uhaul truck on a similar day.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I am also doing this in September in Texas. Should be about 100-105 degrees. I can cut the temp by doing it first thing in the morning By about 15 degrees. I need to go check the inside temp of a uhaul truck on a similar day.
We moved in late June. Temps in MA were mid 80’s when we left and were in the upper 90’s when we arrived in Atlanta the next day. Trees were well watered at the onset and temps within the cargo area didn’t seem to get too hot as long as the truck was moving. I’d definitely invest in a remote temperature probe to monitor that space during a trip like yours if it will be a multi day trip, though.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We moved in late June. Temps in MA were mid 80’s when we left and were in the upper 90’s when we arrived in Atlanta the next day. Trees were well watered at the onset and temps within the cargo area didn’t seem to get too hot as long as the truck was moving. I’d definitely invest in a remote temperature probe to monitor that space during a trip like yours if it will be a multi day trip, though.
I only have a 45 minute drive. I guess my biggest problem is keeping them from breaking each other. Using floor space in a truck will probably be my only option. I’m thinking about building a grid with 2x4s to keep them apart. Still working through ideas.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plan your route.
I often carry a few trees to a workshop, some 1 1/2 hrs drive away just in my normal car.
Some roads have easy flowing traffic, smooth tarmac. Others have bums, trafficlights, idiots cutting in..

It may pay of to drive 15 minutes longer and have free-flowing gentle traffic.

Naturally, you avoind rush hour if you can. Sunday 7AM sounds like a good moment to me.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I figured it out. It was in plain view at all times. My bench tops just sit on cinder blocks. I’m going to turn them upside down. This will create space to put pots with a 6 inch lip on both sides. I will separate the pots with pieces of cut 2x4 With distance of canopies. I will then separate the benches with the cider blocks that are already there. I will be cutting 2x4 to size as a pack. Example of bench top below. I have more out back that are much wider with only cider blocks under them. I posted pic to give you an idea of the 6 inch lip. That’s a willow oak if you have never seen one In a pot. :) 10DD66A5-B3D0-4883-A2EF-27DD34C539E2.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any kind of plastic grid works well to bungee to.
Bread racks, Pepsi trays...even that half inch square stuff over florescents from the 80's.

Just don't forget the grill! 2 trees in the grill.

Sorce

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plan your route.
I often carry a few trees to a workshop, some 1 1/2 hrs drive away just in my normal car.
Some roads have easy flowing traffic, smooth tarmac. Others have bums, trafficlights, idiots cutting in..

It may pay of to drive 15 minutes longer and have free-flowing gentle traffic.

Naturally, you avoind rush hour if you can. Sunday 7AM sounds like a good moment to me.
They will all go up a smooth as glass tollway in north Texas In a 20 ft uhaul is what I have figured out. Early morning. 40 miles. No one will know that a Bonsai nut with 40 little trees is beside them. Lol. Thanks for all the ideas. It spurred me to realize what I already had to use. now for the really big landscape pots and trees In pots. I will use a pro for those. Looking into that. I have a 6 ft trident that is probably 5 ft wide In a cedar wooden pot. I move it around with a lift cart. will send pic when I have some light.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Put plywood down then screw 2x4s down to it around them how ever you need. But it Going to be a few trips.

Top Bottom