Mower-dori Western Hemlock

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Around here the sides of the road are mowed once a year... I collected this hemlock in 2006 (my very first), and put it in a pot in 2009. It's growing quite happily and with all of our temperate weather I decided to do some styling work on it. It's got a ways to go, but it's a fun little tree. When the wood dries out this spring I'll carve all of the deadwood... and eventually I'll put it in a better pot (though it's in a Dale pot at the moment, and that isn't exactly slumming. :D).

I had to go through a lot of photos to find the original collection photo, and it was a amusing stroll down memory lane of trees past, and trees still with me. It's kind of fun to see how differently it looks from then to now. It's even more fun to see how much I have changed within the whole process. :)

Enjoy...

Victrinia

Attachments

• COLLECTEDHEMLOCK.jpg
    COLLECTEDHEMLOCK.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 337
  • mowerdori_lowres.jpg
    mowerdori_lowres.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 292

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mower-dori... that's funny. How about Cow-a-dori (not to be confused with Cowabunga). I like the sillouttte of this tree.

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree, Vic! And nice photo! Captures it nicely.

You know, if you're getting into deadwood and gnarly branches and all that, you really ought to go check out that Robinson fellow that lives near you.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That does it! Next year I'm throwing all my bonsai in the middle of the yard and giving them a good mowing!

Nice work, Al

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One of these days... when I have enough brass, I will have to post a lot of my early attempts and give everyone a good laugh... I'm amazed I survived that period in tact. Says a lot about the value of a good teacher in your life though.... truly.

You'd be surprised how interesting the trees in the ditches around here can be Al... but none the less, you leave your little beauties alone. :p

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ditchadori

Hey Ms Vic, Nice transformation but it will take a while to get some mature bark on the Hw.
Along the same lines, the following "Ditch-adori" - Japanese Larch was collected from a ditch along the highway just outside of Gold River BC. How the Larch got into the landscape (the forests) has an interesting story but another time perhaps.
G

Attachments

• DC's J.Larch existing back.jpg
    DC's J.Larch existing back.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!!!!! I really like that... :)

You live in the Shangrala (no idea how good/bad I just spelled that) of Yamadori... and you get it from a ditch. That cracks me up... but then again... it's a sweet tree, I would have snagged it also. :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It just goes to show what a good friend you are... that you would put yourself out there like that for me.... :rolleyes::p:cool:

Thanks buddy.... :D

V

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It just goes to show what a good friend you are... that you would put yourself out there like that for me.... :rolleyes::p:cool:

Thanks buddy.... :D

V

That makes two you owe me....

the first was the sweet deal on the cool tree:D:D:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And what you will find is that I always make good on my debts... ;)

But hey, I was also a good friend and didn't take advantage of yours... I think it was good for everyone involved... if only life worked out that well every day. lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A year and a half later....

So... the tree responded well to the haircut... rediculously so in fact... not that it wasn't expected, but I never cease to be gratified by the good health of the trees. The tree grew so fast it bit in... but what you can see in the photo isn't as bad as it was, so it seems to be fixing itself... thank goodnees. Inattention because of obfuscation = wire scars. But beyond that I wasn't as thrilled anymore with how it was looking... so as I was fiddling with it earlier this summer, I ended up turning it around, and making a wholey different image of it. I want to get it into a different pot eventually... and before it sprouts next year, I'll thin it again. But it was different enough that I thought I would show it, as an example of an ever evolving image.

WesternHemlock.jpg

Enjoy,

Victrinia

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2013 Update

Just got done playing with it tonight.... Still love this tree. :) It was put in a Gary Wood pot last spring, and tonight I moved things more tightly. I gave it a light haircut, and took a photo for your amusement. :)

V

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice rescue and beautiful pot. :) Trip down memory lane is always nice.

My daughter at 3 years old told us..."Memories are pictures in your mind" It is amazing how she came up with it and I probably will never forget that. :)

Re: the tree, just wondering if you considered or looked at it tilted about 10* to the right...and maybe even turn it counter clockwise a bit? I have no idea how it will look that way but MAYBE worth checking?

frozenlarch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Simple, yet elegant. I really like this tree.

Comparing the photos, it's amazing to see transformation. Very nice work!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice rescue and beautiful pot. :) Trip down memory lane is always nice.

My daughter at 3 years old told us..."Memories are pictures in your mind" It is amazing how she came up with it and I probably will never forget that. :)

Re: the tree, just wondering if you considered or looked at it tilted about 10* to the right...and maybe even turn it counter clockwise a bit? I have no idea how it will look that way but MAYBE worth checking?

That repot was the first time all original soil was removed. The roots won't take a tip like that without a deeper pot at the moment. But I don't disagree that the idea is excellent, and one I had hoped for. I barely got it in the pot to begin with.... lol This is the fun of working with yamadori... you make the best you can with what you have. :)

V

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Simple, yet elegant. I really like this tree.

Comparing the photos, it's amazing to see transformation. Very nice work!

Thanks! Eventually it'll get more compact. I'm still working on branch development... but in a few years it ought to be very lovely. For the moment, it still delights me. It's been a fun tree to work on. :)

Kindly,

Victrinia

Top Bottom