Mr. Hemlock has no style... Help!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello all,

I got this beautiful hemlock at a nursery for a steep discount on account of it looked pretty bad - but it’s doing much better now and as you can see it has plenty of new growth. For this season I just plan to let it grow and regain vigor. It has a nice base and plenty of branches to work with - one draw back is the branches are for the most part all on a single plane - from the side it’s a bit flat. I did some basic wiring and made a few cuts just to get a bit of a shape going - but I don’t have any plans of doing any more work until next year. Having said that, I’m looking for ideas on what I might do with it when the time comes. Obviously I want to shorten the branches for movement and taper. And I’m definitely leaning towards a more traditional informal upright. But I’m open to ideas!266AE7C1-869B-4854-9D85-1065AD84B280.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Eastern hemlock is my favorite, but I have to say that one is looking a little “Charlie brown’s Christmas tree. All is not lost however, as these graft pretty easily from what I hear, so maybe you could try to graft something down low so you can grow out a new, more three dimensional design. Might as well try an air layer too. I’ll be trying one of those in the next couple years.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Eastern hemlock is my favorite, but I have to say that one is looking a little “Charlie brown’s Christmas tree. All is not lost however, as these graft pretty easily from what I hear, so maybe you could try to graft something down low so you can grow out a new, more three dimensional design. Might as well try an air layer too. I’ll be trying one of those in the next couple years.

That is exactly how it’s looking lol thanks for the ideas!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just wanted to post an update on the Charlie Brown Christmas Hemlock! I decided to try for a canopy style. Shortly after I made this post I wired the branches upward and just let it grow, which it did fairly well. Last night I did a little more work on it. I’m happy with it so far.
I hate to remove the lowest branch on the left as i think it really balances the composition - but it crosses in front of the main trunk which I don’t like. Hopefully something will pop out that I can replace it with.
Any input is welcomed!!!
Thanks!!!166ECADA-F805-45CC-A689-7D4A5F27C231.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just wanted to post an update on the Charlie Brown Christmas Hemlock! I decided to try for a canopy style. Shortly after I made this post I wired the branches upward and just let it grow, which it did fairly well. Last night I did a little more work on it. I’m happy with it so far.
I hate to remove the lowest branch on the left as i think it really balances the composition - but it crosses in front of the main trunk which I don’t like. Hopefully something will pop out that I can replace it with.
Any input is welcomed!!!
Thanks!!!View attachment 243063
With my understanding that Hemlock is not likely to back bud, i would work towards thickening the trunk while retaining the closest foliage to the trunk.
Over the short term one might consider a bunjin style, that would allow a more natural style in keeping with the foliage tendencies, Introducing movement to shorten and create further interest in the trunk is another possibility. Hemlock are very supple and dramatic change is quite possible!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With my understanding that Hemlock is not likely to back bud, i would work towards thickening the trunk while retaining the closest foliage to the trunk.
Over the short term one might consider a bunjin style, that would allow a more natural style in keeping with the foliage tendencies, Introducing movement to shorten and create further interest in the trunk is another possibility. Hemlock are very supple and dramatic change is quite possible!

Right, I’ve heard that as well. But I’ve come across at least a couple posts where people claim to have had some success in getting back budding, but said that it just takes a long time. I’m going to hold out for a while, I have no problem waiting to see. I figure while I thicken the trunk maybe some back budding will happen.
I have considered doing a bunjin style, but I want to hold off and let it grow for a while to see what happens.
Definitely shortening the trunk is where I’m leaning.
Thanks for the input!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey, great progress; I think it looks much better already. I have gotten limited back budding but on as far back as the leaves are present. Grafting is still an option, but I say keep working with what you have for now.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Right, I’ve heard that as well. But I’ve come across at least a couple posts where people claim to have had some success in getting back budding, but said that it just takes a long time. I’m going to hold out for a while, I have no problem waiting to see. I figure while I thicken the trunk maybe some back budding will happen.
I have considered doing a bunjin style, but I want to hold off and let it grow for a while to see what happens.
Definitely shortening the trunk is where I’m leaning.
Thanks for the input!
I understand, just in case here is a sample of what i was suggesting. this tree is collected, had little or no inner branching on the lower branches.

Attachments

• IMG_9615.JPG
    IMG_9615.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 39

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, great progress; I think it looks much better already. I have gotten limited back budding but on as far back as the leaves are present. Grafting is still an option, but I say keep working with what you have for now.
Thank you. I’m definitely happy with it compared to where it was when I first purchased it!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I understand, just in case here is a sample of what i was suggesting. this tree is collected, had little or no inner branching on the lower branches.
That is a beautiful tree! Definitely a possibility!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The ''crossing in front of the trunk" issue might have been solved by rotating your choice of front. Perhaps? Too Late?

Seriously, I doubt it will ever push buds on the trunk once bark begins to form. Plan to work with what you have, not what "maybe, might appear".

Like Hinoki, Chamaecyparis, and Thuja, Hemlock, Tsuga, simply are very reluctant to back bud. You much try to keep foliage close to the trunk for future branches and design changes, if at all possible. Otherwise, your tree has to keep getting larger and larger to make up for the distance between foliage and trunk. Hard to keep proportions right. A challenge to do well, but beautiful if you get there.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The ''crossing in front of the trunk" issue might have been solved by rotating your choice of front. Perhaps? Too Late?

Seriously, I doubt it will ever push buds on the trunk once bark begins to form. Plan to work with what you have, not what "maybe, might appear".

Like Hinoki, Chamaecyparis, and Thuja, Hemlock, Tsuga, simply are very reluctant to back bud. You much try to keep foliage close to the trunk for future branches and design changes, if at all possible. Otherwise, your tree has to keep getting larger and larger to make up for the distance between foliage and trunk. Hard to keep proportions right. A challenge to do well, but beautiful if you get there.

Hey thanks for the input. And I have considered trying to train the back as the front. The way the tree grew at the nursery left it pretty one-sided. But I’ve been thinking that the current back may one day be a decent front. I had been thinking about shortening it, but I’m starting to lean more towards letting it grow and maintaining the closer foliage and making it a large tree.

I appreciate you input!!!

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I’ve been putting a some more thought into using the current back as a new front. I actually like the back as a front, it’ll take a long time to develop, but that’s ok. Five years from now I expect it’ll be quite lovely.
EB9A216F-F838-47E7-9DF9-CD4AA1AF5A9D.jpegFF10EA9A-2952-4711-A9C7-D5398482FBBD.jpeg

Top Bottom