Mr. Stump - Mystery Tree, Give a stump a chance!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey folks, pulled out this stump from the school yard....goodness gracious me, it's actually alive..........any ideas what is may be? Any input will be appreciated. I seriously hacked it to bits so I am quite surprised it has surved its ordeal.
http://koreanrooftopbonsai.weebly.com/mr-stump.html

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very hard to identify it at this point. I am happy to see it seems to be taking to its new home today though :cool:

Grimmy

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very hard to identify it at this point. I am happy to see it seems to be taking to its new home today though :cool:

Grimmy
Thanks for that. I am glad too especially becuase I got blisters trying to cut through it....all for a good cause eh? Anyways the leaves are starting to take shapre so in a week or two we should be able to start guessing what it is. Thanks for looking.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
OK,..trying to remember some of the trees that were common in Korea. The bark looks like it could be Acer pseudosieboldianum (korean maple) or maybe stewartia? Hard to tell at this point. Did you notice any leaves around the collection site? 이상하다.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OK,..trying to remember some of the trees that were common in Korea. The bark looks like it could be Acer pseudosieboldianum (korean maple) or maybe stewartia? Hard to tell at this point. Did you notice any leaves around the collection site? 이상하다.
Those buds look a lot like some sort of malus. Maybe a crabapple.

ed
Thanks for the input guys. Any of those are possible as I have seen all of them in the area......I thought it could be Malus too but not sure...hope those leaves tell their story soon.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pardon the pun, but I am stumped. Looking at the buds I was wondering (because I cannot remember) are the oaks (quercus) in Korea?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pardon the pun, but I am stumped. Looking at the buds I was wondering (because I cannot remember) are the oaks (quercus) in Korea?
Lol I like it! Yes there are many kinds of oak in Korea. (Seriously many) Korea has the same number of native species of trees (in general) as the entire Europe. Sadly more and more is being lost.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is an update on Mr. Stump, tiny tiny leaves.....20150327_111355.jpg 20150327_111425.jpg 20150327_111437.jpg

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recognize it. But I can't put a name to it. Let me ask my wife. She may know the Korean name.

Top Bottom