Mrs. Krabappel

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never been much for flowering/fruiting but as I'm getting along, I figure "why not".

Azaleas have treated more poorly. Or I've treated them poorly is more like it. So I picked up this little crab from ebay. My high bid was exactly $1 higher than the opposing bidder. Noice.

There is a little wiggle down low, a swollen base, and a nasty pruning scar on the back.

Attachments

• IMG_6571.jpg
    IMG_6571.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6572.jpg
    IMG_6572.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6573.jpg
    IMG_6573.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6574.jpg
    IMG_6574.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 93

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Then I chopped it. Thinks?

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpg
    IMG_6576.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6578.jpg
    IMG_6578.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 125

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Berorobinson, hopefully its just the picture but the wood where you chopped it looks dead. Its brown and no sign of green under the bark. Did it have any buds on it?

ed

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Berorobinson, hopefully its just the picture but the wood where you chopped it looks dead. Its brown and no sign of green under the bark. Did it have any buds on it?

ed

I believe you are talking about the top left from the last picture? That is indeed a dead spot but the remainder of the tree seems alive and well. There were flower buds on the branches that I removed. Didn't think it wise to waste energy on branches I'd not use. This tree was just dug.

Was that the question?

BTW, everyone calls me B. I'd be honored if you'd do the same. :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
B. lol now that I looked at the picture again its seems brighter? the one where it cut and the lopper is setting near it in the second post. I can now see the little red buds on the branches. The wood in the cut looks brown on the opposite side of the scarred area as if it has some sort of disease in it. I doubt thats it or I doubt it would be popping buds like that. BTW I like the tree and bet it will make a nice one for you, good luck with it.

ed

Last edited:

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It might be a good idea to hollow out that dead area as crabs seem to heal albeit not like a trident. As for disease, I really hope not. I read these buggers attract all sorts of buggers. It's currently protected but I'll be sure to treat it before it goes out. Thanks for the luck. I'll need it!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It might be a good idea to hollow out that dead area as crabs seem to heal albeit not like a trident. As for disease, I really hope not. I read these buggers attract all sorts of buggers. It's currently protected but I'll be sure to treat it before it goes out. Thanks for the luck. I'll need it!

They grow fast for me but they ARE pest magnets and also constantly dying back on me. My collected crabapple seem to be undecided...whether she want to live or die. Over 2 years; it grew like crazy then looked like dying...then sprouted like crazy...then died back again. Now it is sprouting and showing some signs of flowers. It is like a see-saw or roller coaster experience. :mad:

BTW, treat it with fungicide, I believe most of my die back is due to fungus attack (on the roots). Wish I knew that earlier on.

Good luck!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll absolutely make sure to treat for fungus. Thanks for the tips. Do you have any issues with critters? Squirrels or birds? Young children by chance?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Mine do not seem to have pest problems but as with most apples scale and fungus are the norm - I spray with copper fungicide as directed and all seem happy. Don't fuss with it a lot for at least a year or two, get into a regular routine with treatment and never over treat. We had rabbits and squirrels were they were about 4 years and never had them bother with them as they seemed to prefer maples. Birds are no much inclined to go for any of our apples but man they love cherry trees :p

Grimmy

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good to know.
Would you recommend cutting off fruits/flowers for a couple years while building the branches?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good to know.
Would you recommend cutting off fruits/flowers for a couple years while building the branches?

If you are working the tree it will most likely not flower or fruit for that season. I have some I have been growing for a few years now in pots and they are 7 to 8 foot tall. Every season so far I have been doing a root reduction and had no blooms. I will be working on ramification for at least two more seasons and have been told they will not bloom until I leave them alone for a season. After ramification I will be doing a serious air layer on at least two so will not expect flowers for another three years but expect them to be real nice specimens when they do!

Grimmy

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are working the tree it will most likely not flower or fruit for that season. I have some I have been growing for a few years now in pots and they are 7 to 8 foot tall. Every season so far I have been doing a root reduction and had no blooms. I will be working on ramification for at least two more seasons and have been told they will not bloom until I leave them alone for a season. After ramification I will be doing a serious air layer on at least two so will not expect flowers for another three years but expect them to be real nice specimens when they do!

Grimmy

Well the lady will be sad to hear that but I sure won't miss the bees that come with flowers for a few years. Now once the weather holds steadier, it's time to get to work. Thanks for the pointers fellows.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe the flowers are set on previous years growth so if you chop it all off, there will be no flowers. I did that and no flowers the first year. This year it looks like it will bloom a little (I chopped it back again but left some previous year nodes).

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Apples flower and fruit on distinctive "fruiting spurs" as can be seen in the images here. You don't have to worry about flowering or fruiting for at least a couple of years after a chop like the one you've made. In fact, if you didn't have any fruiting spurs prior to chopping, it may take a very long time to ever seen flowers/fruit.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Apples flower and fruit on distinctive "fruiting spurs" as can be seen in the images here. You don't have to worry about flowering or fruiting for at least a couple of years after a chop like the one you've made. In fact, if you didn't have any fruiting spurs prior to chopping, it may take a very long time to ever seen flowers/fruit.

Thank you for the information and link. I cut off all the flowers the tree had. Guess it'll be a few years to get 'em back. I'm good with that. I have a few years left on this big rock. Hopefully!

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the information and link. I cut off all the flowers the tree had. Guess it'll be a few years to get 'em back. I'm good with that. I have a few years left on this big rock. Hopefully!

The means to the end is well worth it. My Wife commented "so no blooms for 5 years" a couple of years ago and recently told me "I can see where WE are going here". I just nodded, looked away, "rolled eyes". Bonsai is like fine wine and honest many times takes less of it planned well.

Grimmy

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Was hoping to get some info on crabs in general. This thing grew like mad all year. I've noticed a strange habit though. Wherever it's been cut back, rather than ramifying like most trees on my bench, this one seems to just regrow a single branch longer and just as thick as before. Is there a trick for getting these trees to ramify? Relevant pic attached:

Cheers,

B

Attachments

• 2014-09-04 07.33.46.jpg
    2014-09-04 07.33.46.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 2014-09-04 07.33.23.jpg
    2014-09-04 07.33.23.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 36

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Mine bloomed the second year after collection. But it was older and already bearing fruit (I was told) before I collected it.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was hoping to get some info on crabs in general. This thing grew like mad all year. I've noticed a strange habit though. Wherever it's been cut back, rather than ramifying like most trees on my bench, this one seems to just regrow a single branch longer and just as thick as before. Is there a trick for getting these trees to ramify? Relevant pic attached:

Cheers,

B

You have to time the chop. I usually let it grow undisturbed then it will rest for a long time w/o any growth. I cut it back once it started growing again. That usually produces some ramification. This happens twice in my area...spring and end of summer.

Good luck!

Top Bottom