Mt Sprawlock

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Yesterday I called it quits on the spring collecting season here. Pine candles all extending and soils starting to dry out and not hold up as well. My last collection was this Mt Hemlock or Sprawlock. I collected it in an area that was hit hard by bug kill years ago. A lot of standing dead timber had fallen hitting a lot of the understory trees. It appears this Mt Hemlock was one that took a direct hit.IMG_1563.JPG The tree had been pinned for some time resulting in the trunk and bottom branches creeping on the ground until they were able to grow out from under the log and redirect upright again.IMG_1564.JPG Also all the low Hemlock and White Fir here had been grazed by varmits creating this very tight, short needled growth. Resembles Dwarf Alberta Spruce. IMG_1565.JPGPic showing the left trunk/branch has formed a bit of a knee. IMG_1567.JPG I stuck a chopstick down the center between the 3 trunks. It went in about 3". The tree currently is becoming a raft, just has a very widespread radius. In a few years, that center separation may allow a physical separation and repositioning of one of the trunks if I decide to go that direction.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting potential;). Possible consideraton of 3 trunk growing on rock with one(knee)cascadingo_O?

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Good point. Thought of some kind of rock planting with this one. Right now all the trunks go straight out like a 3 legged starfish. Did a little gentle push/pull on the trunks. Naturally, they're quite stiff. Didn't want to go crazy torquing them with a guy wire at this time.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Not a good conclusion to this thread. But I share the information for the benefit of all who collect. The tree did very well after collection and went into winter dormancy healthy and appearing in great shape. When spring came, it came out of dormancy and quickly started showing discoloration and flagging. FCDADB24-2AA3-4A4D-A640-43BA4AC54601.jpeg Upon examining the rootball, I removed some of the duff layer and noticed this 1 1/2” hole at the base. D81EEAA0-4523-4C65-8B00-90D9E2029001.jpeg Further probing revealed a 5-6” chamber and more tunnels within the original rootball. F2074C3C-92FF-4278-816A-9EBB26C66C24.jpeg Last winter was a harsh one here. No insulating snowcover, subzero lows and wind. Not sure when the rodent did the tunneling. It’s possible it was there at the time of collection hidden by the duff layer. There was no gnawing damage to the tree. But all the roots were dead back to the trunk on over half the rootball. My best guess is that bitter cold air got into the rodent chamber and froze all the roots around. I removed all the dead roots and refilled with straight pumice, but the tree did not survive.

Horophyle

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So Sorry to hear it didn't make it. Looks like it had some potential. Get back up in the hills and find some more :)

Top Bottom