mugo 2 ..shohin is it worth help with styling?

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another mugo I have had for a number of years. Made all the typical mistakes and it survived anyway.

It's been in this colander several years and haven't done much to it other than keep it alive.

Is there anything to be done, excuse the moss n weeds, moss helps keep moisture.

regards

Rose
SW Oregon

Attachments

• mugo 019.jpg
    mugo 019.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 85
  • mugo 020.jpg
    mugo 020.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 68
  • mugo 021.jpg
    mugo 021.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 65
  • mugo 022.jpg
    mugo 022.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 53
  • mugo 023.jpg
    mugo 023.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 48

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Another mugo I have had for a number of years. Made all the typical mistakes and it survived anyway.

It's been in this colander several years and haven't done much to it other than keep it alive.

Is there anything to be done, excuse the moss n weeds, moss helps keep moisture.

regards

Rose
SW Oregon

It's very healthy. You've done a good job keeping it alive. Now you need to decide if you are happy with the trunk the size it is or do you want it larger? You probably have not tried to repot the thing?

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance,
was trying to remember for sure, it may be 2 years in the colander..its not falling apart yet.

This is a dwarf variety, thinking shohin was more likely.
I do have some scarring from not leaving stubs on the cut branches...a lesson I will remember.

Obviously no wiring yet, which I think could make the tree look a bit different.

thanks for responding.

Rose

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,
was trying to remember for sure, it may be 2 years in the colander..its not falling apart yet.

This is a dwarf variety, thinking shohin was more likely.
I do have some scarring from not leaving stubs on the cut branches...a lesson I will remember.

Obviously no wiring yet, which I think could make the tree look a bit different.

thanks for responding.

Rose

Your tree is at a point where it should be worked on seriously. It does not have to be repotted as yet but you certainly should work on the styling. Starting to decide where you want the design to go and eliminate the stuff which does not fit that design is the critical path on Mugo styling. Most failures, design wise, with Mugos, is the hesitance and indecision most growers of the tree are overwhelmed with.

Last edited:

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree is at a point where it should be worked on seriously. It does not have to be repotted as yet but you certainly should work on the styling. Starting to decide where you want the design to go and eliminate the stuff which does not fit that design is the critical path on Mugo styling. Most failures, design wise, with Mugos, is the hesitance and indecision most growers of the tree are overwhelmed with.

Yes hesitation and indecision....working in a void except for the forums
where I have learned a lot..not the same as hands on at clinics etc. No help
nearby so muddle along..

Thank you again for responding

Rose
Saw oregon

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes hesitation and indecision....working in a void except for the forums
where I have learned a lot..not the same as hands on at clinics etc. No help
nearby so muddle along..

Thank you again for responding

Rose
Saw oregon

Unfortunately Rose Mary there are not too many out there competent to teach about Mugo Pines wandering around from town to town like Robin Hood. Actually as of now there are no too many that can keep them alive from one potting cycle to another. So we kind of have to bimble along and do the best we can and ask questions of those who seem to be having success with the tree.

Top Bottom