Mugo and scots. Anything to worry about?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question to you pine experts.

My Mugo has had these brown spots every year I've owned it, and this year there seems to be more of them. Any idea what's going on? Also the needles have yellowing tips.

It's pushing fat candles. And back budding.

It was collected out of someone's yard 3 years ago, and is in fairly free draining soil with some organic in it as well. Roots haven't been touched since collected. Just annual pruning and pinching to push growth back.

Secondly, collected this scots this year amongst others. This one has grayish sheathing? On the base of the needles on some of The branches.

I've been slowly learning about pines. Trying not to kill too many.

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6591.JPG

Scots

IMG_6592.JPG

Any feedback regarding if these things are something I should worry about would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and input.

Attachments

• IMG_6594.JPG
    IMG_6594.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 4

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not sure, but it kinda looks like needlecast on the mugo.....Lord Mugo would know for sure.
The grey sheaths are just that, they'll fall away naturally. No worries there.
I wouldn't recommend pulling them off, you might accidentally pull off more than you want.
@Vance Wood

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure, but it kinda looks like needlecast on the mugo.....Lord Mugo would know for sure.
The grey sheaths are just that, they'll fall away naturally. No worries there.
I wouldn't recommend pulling them off, you might accidentally pull off more than you want.
@Vance Wood

I figured as much regarding the scots. I was worried that it might be needlecast on the mugo. I hope lord mugo doesn't beseech me. Where art thou lord mugo? All hail.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While you wait, @f1pt4, you might find the Flow Chart for Diagnosis Pine Problems in the BNut Resources helpful/informative.

Oh hot damn. I've been on this site thousands of times and never seen it. o_O Thank you!!!

Looks like needlecast.

Only been able to find safers defender garden fungicide here. Bought it for this upcoming years of powder mildew. Wonder if it will work for this?

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We don't have access to as much of an insect and fungal fighting arsenal up north as you guys have down there.

Anyone use this?

IMG_6599.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Needle cast.
Use Daconil or copper fungicide. It won't cure the current needles, but should control it from spreading to this years' needles.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unless you're using a systemic, nothing will kill fungi inside the needles. You must remove the affected needles. Spraying only kills spores when they show up.

I have been fortunate to have never had a serious needle cast (or similar) problem. However I do frequently spray a simple peroxide solution that is an effective antifungal and antibacterial: 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a quart of water (maybe add a couple drops of detergent to help with wetting plant surfaces). It is pretty much equivalent to ZeroTol. The nuclear option stuff, such as Daconyl, does leave a residue that will kill spores that fall on it whereas the peroxide spray only affects what is on the plant at the time. But it is inexpensive and very eco-friendly - H2O2 releases reactive oxygen (which 'burns up' the pathogens) and becomes just plain ole water.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Needle cast.
Use Daconil or copper fungicide. It won't cure the current needles, but should control it from spreading to this years' needles.
I've looked for Daconil, can't seem to find it. It says it's available in Canada. Finding it is a challenge though. Might have to online retailer it.
Thanks.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you're using a systemic, nothing will kill fungi inside the needles. You must remove the affected needles. Spraying only kills spores when they show up.

I have been fortunate to have never had a serious needle cast (or similar) problem. However I do frequently spray a simple peroxide solution that is an effective antifungal and antibacterial: 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a quart of water (maybe add a couple drops of detergent to help with wetting plant surfaces). It is pretty much equivalent to ZeroTol. The nuclear option stuff, such as Daconyl, does leave a residue that will kill spores that fall on it whereas the peroxide spray only affects what is on the plant at the time. But it is inexpensive and very eco-friendly - H2O2 releases reactive oxygen (which 'burns up' the pathogens) and becomes just plain ole water.

I did spray it down with the fungicide prior to you posting this. I will give your peroxide mix a try with frequency over this growing season. I do prefer a more environmentally conscious approach to fighting problems. I am still searching for the stronger stuff though, just in case. Thank you for your feedback.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Copper fungicide should be easy for you to find, and it helps. I am not sure about Ontario, but in Québec we can't buy systemics. I have read about a bunch of Woodlot associations in Ontario who are at all out war to remove invasive Scots pines, might be worth looking into for collecting.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just thought to mention that I always pick up neem oil when I am in Toronto. On Gerrard east, in little India. Good and cheap!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've looked for Daconil, can't seem to find it. It says it's available in Canada. Finding it is a challenge though. Might have to online retailer it.
It is sold under many different brand names (Ortho is one). You should easily find it in the garden centers of big box and hardware stores as well as most garden nurseries.

Top Bottom