Mugo Candles

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
A quick question. I let my mugos candles go and they have already extended out. Is it too late to reduce them at this point to stimulate some back Budding?

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Check out this resource. It should have all the info you need.

In addition, search for the thread "All aboard the mugo train." There is a wealth of information there.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So if I reduce the candles that have pushed and fully extended by now in July; I should encourage multiple budding for next years growth? Am I getting it?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So if I reduce the candles that have pushed and fully extended by now in July; I should encourage multiple budding for next years growth? Am I getting it?
Yes. With JBP and JRP you do this to produce a second flush of growth, with Mugos and Scots you do this to promote an abundance of new buds for next year.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just as with broadleaved trees (deciduous or not) conifers(deciduous or not) respond well if you let them grow freely and then cut back forcefully. You have to strengthen the tree before you cut. if you pinch early, as they tell you, you are weakening the tree and it will only throw one bud usually.. If you want a real lot of back budding leave alone new growth until end of July/beginning of August and then cut back with scissors leaving a few needles of the new growth. The tree will respond with many more buds than with the usual method.
Methods can only be judged by results and not by stating that they are radically against orthodox wisdom. Who has the better trees in the long run has the better methods.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was asked why I insist in 'broadleaved'.

The antonym of 'conifers is NOT 'decidous', it is 'broadleaves'. The antonym of 'deciduous' is NOT 'conifers', it is'evergreen'. I know well that most folks are not aware of this, but I insist in the scientific differentiation instead of the common one. It makes sense if you do bonsai and botany for serious.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was asked why I insist in 'broadleaved'.

The antonym of 'conifers is NOT 'decidous', it is 'broadleaves'. The antonym of 'deciduous' is NOT 'conifers', it is'evergreen'. I know well that most folks are not aware of this, but I insist in the scientific differentiation instead of the common one. It makes sense if you do bonsai and botany for serious.
Of course, and we have Deciduous Conifers, like Bald Cypress....and Evergreen Broadleafs like Boxwood.

I also think the proper differentiations are crucial to proper understanding.

Thanks Walter!

Top Bottom