Mugo Experiment #1

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have got to try and find a place to put the tree where the weather wont blow it over and over enthusiastic people feel the necessity to fool around with it. TRY TO LEAVE IT ALONE for the next couple of years or you are going to lose it.

Trust me, I know - when I came out in the morning and found it sideways the first words out of my mouth were "aww shit!" Where it is now is in a more protected spot that doesn't get as much wind - I thought with that heavy hunk o rock it wasn't going anywhere, but ol' mother nature decided to be a little bit of a witch to prove me wrong. I really don't want anymore setbacks for this tree, I'm doing nothing but watering and fertilizing for the next 5 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one.....

How is this one?

Brew....I'm pm in you in 2 days.

Sorce

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This one.....

How is this one?

Brew....I'm pm in you in 2 days.

Sorce

Hey Sorce, sorry, been busy lately so I haven't had time to really jump on the net as much.

Unfortunately, this pine didn't come out of winter alive - was green for the duration, but then it just turned brown over the past two weeks. I did the same amount of root manipulation as experiment #2 with the same watering and fertilizer schedule afterwards, so I'm guessing it was the wind induced topple last year which did it in. I'm kicking myself now for not tying it down to the bench. Oh well, c'est la vie I guess. I'm going to try again come father's day with another young mugo I have lying around - so I guess this is going to be turning into experiment #1-B...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry about your Mugo. It would have been nice. I love RoR, and your post inspired me to give it a try. I had a small larch growing in the ground, I arranged the roots around this rock and tied it up with twine then planted it back in the ground. I've read to leave it in the ground for a "quick" 10 years. Seems like longer than needed, I'll probably check it in 2 years.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 68

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry about your Mugo. It would have been nice. I love RoR, and your post inspired me to give it a try. I had a small larch growing in the ground, I arranged the roots around this rock and tied it up with twine then planted it back in the ground. I've read to leave it in the ground for a "quick" 10 years. Seems like longer than needed, I'll probably check it in 2 years.

That's fu@kin raw!

Thread that up !

Sorce

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
. . . I'm going to try again come father's day with another young mugo I have lying around - so I guess this is going to be turning into experiment #1-B...
Did you get a chance to try this again? Any success?
Reason being, I have some mugo pines I want to try this with next year.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Did you get a chance to try this again? Any success?
Reason being, I have some mugo pines I want to try this with next year.

Sorry for the delay in reply, unfortunately this past year life seemed to get in the way every way it could, so I did a whole lot of nothing in the bonsai garden. Hopefully this year I can get back on track and try this experiment again.

Top Bottom