Mugo Forest On Rock Planting

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a Mugo Pine Forest I acquired 3 years ago. It hadn't been maintained and had gotten too large for its old pot. One of the trees died as well. image.jpg I wanted to do a planting on a rock slab. However, the slab wasn't large enough. I had a second smaller slab as well. I decided to epoxy the 2 together to make a larger, multi-level slab. image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 247

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
I took advantage of the dead tree to separate the planting into 2 groups where the dead tree was. It also allowed me to reduce the root mass far more aggressively than I could have done with the whole group. I was able to put 2 trees on the smaller upper slab and the rest on the larger lower one.image.jpg I kept the dead tree in the group as a dead snag like you see in natural forests. Now there is that whole odd-even number thing.. The original planting was 5 trees. Do I now have 5? Or 4 plus a dead one? Or maybe 2 plus 2 plus a dead one? Fire at will. image.jpg It's been almost a month since the work. The forest is out of the greenhouse and on the bench getting morning and midday sun. So far so good.image.jpg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
So this spring when I pulled this forest out of its winter bed, I foolishly grabbed the upper rock. The gorilla glue failed, and I ended up with 2 rock planting again.IMG_0980.JPG This last week, I finally got around to fixing it. The challenge was reconnecting with the forest now established and growing on it. I ended up cutting a small trench in the soil on the upper rock and drilling 2 3/8" holes thru both rocks. I then took 2 strand barbless fence wire and threaded thru both rocks. You can barely see the black wire in the trench there. IMG_1868.JPG Where the wires came out the bottom, I twisted together. Firmly, but not super torqued as I didn't want to risk fracturing the rock. I used a special concrete/stone epoxy to bond better. Hard to see underneath. I'll sand and paint black later to help disguise it. IMG_1869.JPG The whole planting together again after its first wire. IMG_1874.JPG

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So this spring when I pulled this forest out of its winter bed, I foolishly grabbed the upper rock. The gorilla glue failed, and I ended up with 2 rock planting again.View attachment 159962 This last week, I finally got around to fixing it. The challenge was reconnecting with the forest now established and growing on it. I ended up cutting a small trench in the soil on the upper rock and drilling 2 3/8" holes thru both rocks. I then took 2 strand barbless fence wire and threaded thru both rocks. You can barely see the black wire in the trench there. View attachment 159963 Where the wires came out the bottom, I twisted together. Firmly, but not super torqued as I didn't want to risk fracturing the rock. I used a special concrete/stone epoxy to bond better. Hard to see underneath. I'll sand and paint black later to help disguise it. View attachment 159964 The whole planting together again after its first wire. View attachment 159965
And you wired the trees. Nice! Good thing we learned all those rock planting skills!;)

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe....from what I recall, when we got there, you folks had used up all the good rocks!:p

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Fantastic! That's a lot of work.
How difficult is it to keep in full Sun on a rock? Is it on a watering system?
Yes, the watering system known as me! 😄. The lower trees have enough soil that their water needs are about the same as my potted pines. The upper trees, far less soil that drains and dries rapidly. I water those more often on warm or windy days. The whole planting goes under a sprinkler system when I’m out of town.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, the watering system known as me! 😄. The lower trees have enough soil that their water needs are about the same as my potted pines. The upper trees, far less soil that drains and dries rapidly. I water those more often on warm or windy days. The whole planting goes under a sprinkler system when I’m out of town.
Well I think you've done a swell job with this.
I didn't like the 1st pic so much on its own in that pot. Epoxying those rocks together was a great endeavour.
You should be very pleased as I know you are. All your post said was
Sweet

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Arcto , what kind of wire are you using? The galvanized steel wire we learned on is not reliable for long-term applications. I’ve noticed that it corrodes through within a couple years when used for tree tie-downs - not too big a deal, if the tree has occupied the container with roots. I used some to secure a slab into a pot, then thought better of it. I tried aluminum, but it was just too soft and it broke while twisting it. I found some 1/16” vinyl-coated steel rope, which is pretty cool, but doesn’t immobilize the slab quite as well. I’ve decided I’ll use either stainless steel wire, or copper, both of which, from what I’ve read, form a layer of oxidation that protects from further corrosion. Brass wire is another alternative.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
@Arcto , what kind of wire are you using? The galvanized steel wire we learned on is not reliable for long-term applications. I’ve noticed that it corrodes through within a couple years when used for tree tie-downs - not too big a deal, if the tree has occupied the container with roots. I used some to secure a slab into a pot, then thought better of it. I tried aluminum, but it was just too soft and it broke while twisting it. I found some 1/16” vinyl-coated steel rope, which is pretty cool, but doesn’t immobilize the slab quite as well. I’ve decided I’ll use either stainless steel wire, or copper, both of which, from what I’ve read, form a layer of oxidation that protects from further corrosion. Brass wire is another alternative.
CCB2873A-3E40-489D-AD44-1285D0F09FCA.jpeg Hey PJ. The wire I use to connect the rocks is smooth woven fence wire. Barbed wire w/o the barbs. Its 2 strand so you can unravel and use a single strand if you want. Pretty stiff. See where it comes out underneath the planting. No evident corrosion. It should be there a while.
7C2D091B-4102-4163-9657-1DDBDC67D3ED.jpeg
Here is Idea I picked up from Michael Hagedorn. Epoxying small copper loops in drilled holes. I can then thread electric fence wire thru them for tree tie downs. If a wire breaks or the tree is removed, easy to just thread a new wire in.
1018B530-756C-4543-AA5B-055AEA1F9714.jpeg
Different kinds of rock have their good and bad points. One thing I like about lava and lace rock is the rough pitted surfaces allow tree roots to really grab hold of the stone over a period of time. My older rock plantings may have had the anchor wires rust out long ago, but the trees are solidly attached. Good luck with your plantings!

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What a great example of artistry, horticultural skills, and engineering ingenuity!!! Absolutely beautiful!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
That is spectacular. Great to see a forest from a species you wouldn’t expect to see in that style.
Thanks. It is nice to see it get to refinement.

Top Bottom