Mugo help

Thesonoflars

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A,
I've had this Mugo from a nursery just about 3 years now. I've tried following Vance Wood's suggestions regarding Mugos and have not touched the roots since I first purchased this tree. I've done some work on top to remove unsightly whorls and places where there were bulges. I'm trying to imagine a styling for the tree so that next year I can begin shaping the top, possibly removing branches, etc. Also, the trunk is planted at an angle, so I will likely straighten it when I repot. Can anyone give suggestions based on the photos as to a possible route to styling this tree?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20210601_111619.jpg
    20210601_111619.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210601_111638.jpg
    20210601_111638.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210601_111700.jpg
    20210601_111700.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210601_111714.jpg
    20210601_111714.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210601_111719.jpg
    20210601_111719.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210601_111728.jpg
    20210601_111728.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210601_111647.jpg
    20210601_111647.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 74

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok, I’ll give it a go..

Seems like the bottom branch has got to go.

Then replant and tilt the tree to make the thicker branch the center branch and former center branch the side branch.

Lastly get rid of the bar branch on the old center, now side branch.... choose the longest.

Cutpaste just to be safe

Take stock of the situation. No more big cuts for now. Wire as needed in fall

Then feed it well with a solid fertilizer, biogold/Osmocote (in tea bags if you wish) and Miraclegrow each week to 10 days to get it to back bud heavily. You ought to reduce all of this year’s candles a bit if you haven’t, to help push the energy back from the tips further back the tree branches.

With luck in the next couple years you should have lots of backbudding, giving you options to add more branches and reduce the tree.

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Totally agree with @Cadillactaste.

First go out with some old pillowcases or rags and cover the branches I mentioned, then tilt the pot and see what it looks like. Then do it again and, but try other options.

Finally wait wait a day or two and do it again before cutting.
cheers
DSD sends
(I should of said all this in the last message. 😉.)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Totally agree with @Cadillactaste.

First go out with some old pillowcases or rags and cover the branches I mentioned, then tilt the pot and see what it looks like. Then do it again and, but try other options.

Finally wait wait a day or two and do it again before cutting.
cheers
DSD sends
(I should of said all this in the last message. 😉.)
Nothing against your guidance..but...the most poignant thing a friend told me. Was his taking a tree to a big name's demo where they worked your tree. He watched and allowed the one to change the course...and didn't see that as his vision. He later sold the tree...because he seen it as a sign of his weakness for just allowing the one to work the tree and not pausing on the direction. This is why advice should always be appreciated...and may not be followed through for awhile...chewed over and contemplated...never rushed.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
None taken. OP asked for advice and wasn’t replied to for a couple days. I responded and actually was hoping others would jump in with their ideas too….😉

Cheers
DSD sends

Thesonoflars

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A,
Thank you both. I've been looking at this tree for the last few weeks and trying to envision a future based on what I see. I appreciate the advice very much. I will continue to mull over before making a drastic cut, and I agree that once it's gone, the branch is gone for good.
I've been watching Peter Chan lately and he's like "once you make the decision, you don't look back," mostly because you can't.
I am proud of the fact that I have had the patience to do only a little work since I've had this tree, following the Vance Wood tutorial. In the past, I've killed mugos by doing too much in too short a time, so I am making some progress.
I think this tree has some potential, and I am looking forward to developing it. I sincerely appreciate the advice and suggestions.
I will update as the tree progresses.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
trying to envision a future based on what I see.

Most of the time it's better to base it on what you don't see!

This is one of them trees that have nothing on them currently that will be in the final design IMO.

Let it grow till you get buds closer in.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Imo the lower trunk has to go.

Looks like you also have several branches on the other trunk all coming out at the same spot. This will eventually cause a knuckle to form on the trunk/branch where they come out. You need to decide which two you should keep and cut off the rest. I'd recommend doing one per year to allow the tree to regroup and back bud.
When you do cut a branch, leave a 1 to 2 inch stub to prevent die back down the trunk. You can cut them off in a year or two if you wish.

Feed the tree heavily which will help promote vigor and back budding.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Probably no need to put it in the ground at this time. :eek:

open-grave1.jpg

Top Bottom