Mugo infestation

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Has anyone had experience with what appears to be pine aphids?

This is the first time I've experienced this issue and having trouble resolving the pest. For reference, I'm located just outside Seattle. No prior history in Idaho, this is my first summer here. I have 4 mugo pines (one infected) and several Japanese Black and Red Pine. I've segregated the infected tree. I first noticed some needle discoloration two weeks ago and noticed the very small black bugs that do not appear as normal aphids. I treated with insecticidal soap (pictured) every three days with no luck. The trees have also been treated this season with antifungal systemic granules and Bayer 3 in 1 systemic granules. I've removed all the dead or dying foliage which came out in clumps when I ran my hands through it. The bugs are deep inside out of sun, and you can see there is good foliage from this years candles at the tips.

Any suggestions for a stronger method of attacking them?

Attachments

• 20210704_112249.jpg
    20210704_112249.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210704_110759.jpg
    20210704_110759.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20210704_111025.jpg
    20210704_111025.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210704_110939.jpg
    20210704_110939.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210704_112146.jpg
    20210704_112146.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210704_112434.jpg
    20210704_112434.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 44

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the soap didn’t work then it may be time to get out the big guns and go with some chemical insecticides. I have no idea what those bugs might be but you should be able to id them either online or ask your county ag agent. Either that or head to the local nursery/hardware store and ask for some broad spectrum insecticide for conifers. Read the label to make sure it is OK for use on mugo pines.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Neem oil should help you get rid of them in a week or so.
Otherwise most pyrethrin based insecticides should do the trick.

Are you sure the discoloration isn't just the shedding of old needles?

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Neem oil should help you get rid of them in a week or so.
Otherwise most pyrethrin based insecticides should do the trick.

Are you sure the discoloration isn't just the shedding of old needles?
I thought about that, but this is fairly rapid onset and all the needles that are coming out are covered in those bugs.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can’t ID the bug from you photos. That said.

I always get flack on here when I say this, but if you think it is aphids try something with imidacloprid in it.

A synthetic pyrethroid marketed as “tempo sc ultra” is good on most things that are not “sucking” pests, and it is available at most farm stores.

With a full focus pic I could figure out what that critter is.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can’t ID the bug from you photos. That said.

I always get flack on here when I say this, but if you think it is aphids try something with imidacloprid in it.

A synthetic pyrethroid marketed as “tempo sc ultra” is good on most things that are not “sucking” pests, and it is available at most farm stores.

With a full focus pic I could figure out what that critter is.

Just about anything will kill aphids. I've used Sevin spay on them and they were dead in about an hour. Just get a product that says it takes care of aphids on the label.

Imadacloprid will work but it is usually in systemic form and it's kind of like using a sledge hammer when a regular hammer will work in this case. The spray works a bit faster because it uses direct contact with the insects rather than relying on uptake through the plant.

Also, I don't know where the OP is but imadacloprid is banned in a number of places.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mugo tends to shed old needles quickly. Mine within a few days they are all brown and falling off.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's not the color of an ailing Mugo, it's perfectly healthy.

If those bugs are the ones that have been saving all your other trees from pests, and have bred in your mugo, and you kill them all....

That's how a useless cycle of spraying begins.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Sorce

Top Bottom