Mugo " KnuckleSandwich"

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Back on about Page 4 of the "Mugo Train" thread, @Vance Wood referred to these trees capable of becoming a "knuckle sandwich".
I present to you a yard-adori that was planted in my garden approximately 14 years ago and left to its own devices. It had become so unruly that my only choice was to remove and send to the compost pile or try and save as a conversation piece.
I know that this will never be capable of Bonsai, but it sure will be fun as an oddity.
I give you, "KnuckleSandwich"!!

Attachments

• KnuckleSandwich1.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich1.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 95
  • KnuckleSandwich2.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich2.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 94
  • KnuckleSandwich3.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich3.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 96
  • KnuckleSandwich4.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich4.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 113
  • KnuckleSandwich5.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich5.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 114
  • KnuckleSandwich6.jpg
    KnuckleSandwich6.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 110

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Give it time to grow and give yourself time to develop a vision for these trees. Check out the way Mugos grow in nature if you can find photos and I think you will discover the Krumholz forms they assume.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@DirkvanDreven also has a beautiful example of a mugo left to its own devices, then brought back to become a gorgeous tree.
It is one of the reasons that I decided to try an rehabilitate "KnuckleSandwich"
Thanks for the advice,
Buck
I certainly see similarities between your mugo and mine. I think I have done the right things by accident for a number of years, that's why my pine is were it is now. You will get there too!

Top Bottom