Mugo Pine #28

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful composition Walter. Do you start growing the sedum on the rock ahead of a tree being planted? I really love to see all the small plants in your rock plantings.

This sempervivum that I use is a dwarf form. It is quite rare and costs about US§$ 3 or more a little piece. They go under if planted into the garden - also in a rock garden. In modern substrate with my watering and feeding they explode. I have much more than a thousand. When planting a tree onto a stone I then just push a few of these into the soil. They seem to be indistructible there. After two years I have to really cut them out and throw away a hundred every time. Well, who wants them?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't want them. I have a couple of thousand as well.

I don't understand the part in the first post about the rock being found from a tree in Italy in the first post. Could you clarify that a little Walter?

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I LOVE this. The texture on the deadwood is just perfect

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't want them. I have a couple of thousand as well.

I don't understand the part in the first post about the rock being found from a tree in Italy in the first post. Could you clarify that a little Walter?

The rock was found in Germany

The tree was found in Italy and this bonsai is made from that tree. (We have to udnerstand that many people look at this who have no clue that we collect ols trees from the mountians and make bonsai out of them. They have to be told that this is what we do.)

You are the first one in fifteen years to have a problem with this. Well, I might give it some thought.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The descriptions on Walter's trees are all essentially the same. Intended to be read as a bulleted list without capitalization or puctuation and not as a run-on sentence. After reading enough of them, one will learn the pattern. I feel the lower case typing understates the description part which leads more of the focus going back to the photo of the tree itself. I could be wrong.

-dimension
-known age or approximate
-pot origin or maker
-tree origin (from a mountain in a country somewhere...)

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Walter Pall Was it a conscious decision to remove one of the two right-side jins at the base, or just a 'happy accident'? To me, it looks much much better in the last three pics. I'm learning so much from your progressions. Thank you.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall Was it a conscious decision to remove one of the two right-side jins at the base, or just a 'happy accident'? To me, it looks much much better in the last three pics. I'm learning so much from your progressions. Thank you.

It was a conscous decidion. Not everwhere nature puts a jin is a good place for one. There is a widespread tendency to have too many jins in general. So often fo take off or at leat to shorten some deadwood considerably is a good idea.

Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm interested in your methods for keeping the substrate on the rock - is it Ibuki BTW? Do you use keto as a wall? I'm asking because I would like to emulate it with this tree I dug from my front yard a few weeks ago. The Shari on yours immediately reminded me of my own tree. IMG_20190811_135333.jpg

IMG_20190812_132649.jpg

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The rock was found in Germany

The tree was found in Italy and this bonsai is made from that tree. (We have to udnerstand that many people look at this who have no clue that we collect ols trees from the mountians and make bonsai out of them. They have to be told that this is what we do.)

You are the first one in fifteen years to have a problem with this. Well, I might give it some thought.

I keep reading it and it still says "Genuine stone found in Germany by Gunther Mainz from a tree which was collected in 1997 in Italy."
I know you have a lot of collected trees and that genuine rocks don't just fall from the sky, I just thought it would be super awesome if Gunther found a rock, in Germany, inside an Italian tree. I mean, I've collected small volcanic rocks from old Italian olive trees. It would be one hell of a story to grab a rock of this size from a tree.
No problems, just a wild imagination on my side. ;-)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm interested in your methods for keeping the substrate on the rock - is it Ibuki BTW? Do you use keto as a wall? I'm asking because I would like to emulate it with this tree I dug from my front yard a few weeks ago. The Shari on yours immediately reminded me of my own tree. View attachment 263212

My trick is that I grow a tree for many years, sometimes decades until it is very advanced and has a very firm compact root ball. Then I find the right stone for it, place the tree on the stone andsomehow fix it with wire. I do NOTHING to the root ball. Then I put some substrte around it and plant sempervivum to fix the substrate. There is no need for keto as nothing will fall apart. It is firm - very firm. This has worked well in more than fifty cases. Again: first finish the tree over many years. Then plant it as is on a stone.

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Im not a Pine fan, but Walter's pines speak to me. what a tree!

Top Bottom