mugo pine care in hawaii

Reaction score
hi i recently bought a mugo pine and wanted to know when is a good time to repot and trim? i dont think the tree is that old and since i've had it (three weeks) it's growing vigorously.. by the way i live in HAWAII... got the tree from kentucky on auction site..do you think it will grow good in this climate? what would be the time to trim back, style and root prune? thanks. 🤙

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey there, welcome to the site! I linked the resource to your question on FB, but here it is again.

If you can't just click. Go to the "Resources" section of the forum and scroll down a bit.

Reaction score
thanks for the info and i read it. good info but i guess my real question is does this apply apply to the climate that i live in? thanks

Reaction score
thanks for the info i guess i should stick with black pine and iron wood pines.... they grow good over here..

oddirt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
thanks for the info i guess i should stick with black pine and iron wood pines.... they grow good over here..

Here's a list of Hawaiian native or endemic trees I'd love to try when I retire on the Big Island (Laupāhoehoe) in 20 years or so. As @Shima has posted on this site, the Ohia are succumbing to rapid Ohia death :(.

Botanical NameHawai'ian NameEnglish Name
Metrosideros polymorphaʻŌhiʻa lehuaOhia
Thespesia populneaMiloPortia tree
Acacia koa'iaKoa'iaKoa
Diospyros sandwicensisLamaHawaiian ebony / persimmon
Osteomeles anthyllidifoliaʻŪleiHawaiian hawthorn
Myoporum sandwicenseNaioFalse Sandalwood
Scaevola taccadaNaupaka kahakai

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Here's a list of Hawaiian native or endemic trees I'd love to try when I retire on the Big Island (Laupāhoehoe) in 20 years or so. As @Shima has posted on this site, the Ohia are succumbing to rapid Ohia death :(.

Botanical NameHawai'ian NameEnglish Name
Metrosideros polymorphaʻŌhiʻa lehuaOhia
Thespesia populneaMiloPortia tree
Acacia koa'iaKoa'iaKoa
Diospyros sandwicensisLamaHawaiian ebony / persimmon
Osteomeles anthyllidifoliaʻŪleiHawaiian hawthorn
Myoporum sandwicenseNaioFalse Sandalwood
Scaevola taccadaNaupaka kahakai
How serious are you about bonsai? The bay area is pumping with bonsai activity as you well know, at a very high skill level. Don't expect it here, yawn.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Ever try maple there? Got em in pots and the ground here. Check the photos on Facebook, Bruce Winter. Saw you there.;)
;)Oops, these old eyes saw 3000 not 300 feet. My bad. Forget about the maples.:D

Top Bottom